Little-a versus big-A atheism
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  14:32:58  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Debbie Walker has a nice post up about the difference she sees between little-a atheism and big-A Atheism. Ties in nicely with A week on Facebook, which still has a few days left this year.

Here's a big-A graphic if anyone wants one:

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  21:55:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
UPDATED without white areas around edges! A little jaggedy around the edges, though, due to resizing artifacts. Fixed the jaggies now, too.

Thanks, Dave. I've taken that graphic and made various-sized "png" format images out of it, using transparency so that they can go over different backgrounds without leaving the oblong block of white background:

1. (The "A" above is 700 x 700 pixels)

2. (The "A" above is 600 x 600 pixels)

3. (The "A" above is 500 x 500 pixels)

4. (The "A" above is 400 x 400 pixels)

5. (The "A" above is 300 x 300 pixels)

6. (The "A" above is 200 x 200 pixels)

7. (The "A" above is 150 x 150 pixels)

8. (The "A" above is 100 x 100 pixels)

9. (The "A" above is 75 x 75 pixels)

10. (The "A" above is 50 x 50 pixels)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/23/2012 16:19:15
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  22:52:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the issue discussed in the linked-to "Little a versus big A" article...

My atheism grows out of my more general skepticism. If all things about which to be skeptical were equal, I'd be a miniscule-a atheist. Theist religion would be just one of many things to hold up to critical examination (and then crush like a bug). Theism then might even rank much lower in my personal list of critical thinking targets than homeopathy or psychic channeling.

But all things about which to be skeptical are not equal, not in a world where several theist religions either wield or vie actively for reactionary political power and social domination. Theism is certainly not a skeptic's only target, but in my opinion it's made itself the main one, because it's proven its dangers, from the Crusades to the Witch-Hunts, from 9-11 to the Sharia Courts.

So I'm a Big-A Atheist out of a perceived need to go on the offensive in the cultural battle which is being forced upon modern science-based civilization. I'd prefer to be able to be a small-a atheist, but I haven't been given that choice.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/20/2012 23:01:57
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  14:30:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That letter is made with the Zapfino One font, or a close variant. Apple computers come with it, PC's don't. The font costs €55 commercially.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  16:00:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got the font, made the new A's! At first, there were jaggy edges on all the smaller A's. I figured out that that was caused by progressively making the image smaller, and then saving each result. The jagged artifact multiplied on each iteration. So I tried again, resizing directly down from my working copy at 700 pixels to each smaller size, the going back to the big version and doing it again for the next size. Worked like a champ.

Share your disbelief! Enjoy!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  16:43:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For any who need it, the "Zapfino Extra LT One" font is available free at ufonts.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.