Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 Not to go "Godwin" all over you, but . . .
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  00:36:11  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
. . . Is what I think I see in this video real? Is it a trend? If so, it's a disturbing one. The crazed, authoritarian preacher, Dennis Terry, shown at a Santorum rally, is certainly a Christian Fascist for all intents and purposes. But that's not my point.

I think I see the use of extending the right arm at an upward angle with the hand flat and palm hand down. It's just one of the flock doing this, as far as I can see in this video. (I'd thought I'd seen a version of the video in which about three people gave the same salute, but since I can't find that now, I may have been mistaken.) I see a clear Fascist salute at about 3:24 on this video.

I'm already familiar with the waving of both arms as a fundy thang. (That's one's more creepy than alarming to me.) But are we seeing the start of a shift to a Heil Hail Jesus salute via gradual evolution?

Am I misinterpreting what I see? Is it just this one person (a man, I think)? If this is indeed a Fascist salute, is it a spreading meme? Has anyone else see this anywhere among the fundies?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/25/2012 04:13:43

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  00:39:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Naaa.. I've seen it up close. People put one hand up or both hands. It's not a nazi salute.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  01:04:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Naaa.. I've seen it up close. People put one hand up or both hands. It's not a nazi salute.
But Terry's promoting the one-handed version, and I think that's a big deal.

Now I've found that other video. Dennis Terry does a credible version of the Fascist salute over Santorum's head, making it appear merely a Christian praying thang. The crowd (not just the "about three" people that I recalled) raise their right arms in compliance. Even those not aware of the gesture's grim historical significance are being tricked into making the Fascist salute by Terry. Check out the video and this capture:

That's a scary sight.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/25/2012 01:20:02
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  02:36:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How else can they channel their energy beams?

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  02:48:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

How else can they channel their energy beams?
They sure seem to be "channeling" someone.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  03:13:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some are better at this than others. The sheep need a drillmaster to get the Fascist salute just right, but this is a start. A sharper photo from the same church rally:

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  03:36:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another photo, from MSNBC. These Blackshirts are better at it:

Go to Top of Page

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  06:11:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very common at fundy events. I've seen it all my life. It's really just a "prayer" gesture, usually with eyes closed, encouraged by the crowd effect. I've certainly never seen it offered as any kind of "salute" to a leader. Some people explicitly point their index finger "heavenward," to indicate that they put their faith in God/Jesus, or that there is only "one way" to live/get to heaven/wash your pits.

A little odd, maybe, but even at my most cynical I never regarded it as sinister (that's the left hand ).

Ick. Now you've got me thinking about my mis-spent youth. Gotta take a bath.

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
Martin Luther King Jr.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  08:16:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't get past the relaxed fingers to see this idiocy as a Nazi salute.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  08:29:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

That's a point, but you'll never find me even doing it that way. Not even if I'm hailing a waiter for beers for my four friends and myself.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  08:56:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hitler's "formal" salute was much less vertical, too:

But his "informal" salute could be almost anything, apparently:

So if that counts, and your examples above count, then these are Nazi salutes, also:

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  09:03:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a worship thing. I tried it when I visited a Robert Tilton event. That doesn't mean that Dennis Terry isn't dangerous. He's clearly demanding that the US become a theocracy. He comes right out and says so, even listing the religions of people who should "Get Out" if they don't like the idea that the US is a "Christian nation." And that all was part of an introduction to someone actually running for president!

On the up side, that introduction will hurt Santorum. It really does leave us with the correct impression that the Republican base has moved so far to the right, that if Santorum actually got the nomination, I've heard dyed in the wool Republicans who hate Obaba say they will vote for him to keep Santorum out.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  22:37:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've actually seen some Christians putting their hand forward with the fingers held out straight and sort of slowly bring it up to point at some sort of flag -- I'm not sure what sort of denomination they were, but they said their little prayer and did this (actually this kid I knew came home from a Bible school doing it, and his parents weren't amused, haha). The end result looked similar to the salute of the Nazis, but it was moved up slowly rather than quickly like you'd see from the Nazis.

@Kil: I'm in that position -- leaning slightly Republican, though already alienated to some extent by social policy, my vote would certainly be in play for a more favorable Republican candidate, but Obama's getting it if Santorum wins absolutely (otherwise, I'm not sure). His blatant anti-intellectualism and fundamentalist religious positions and supporters push me away entirely.

This movement of ideological purification, insulting people with the term "RINO" and the like, has pushed everyone so far right that this is what we get, an absolute religious fanatic as a viable candidate. Combined with low primary turnout, a small unified group can push far out candidates into a good position.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  08:27:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Originally posted by Dave W.

That's a point, but you'll never find me even doing it that way. Not even if I'm hailing a waiter for beers for my four friends and myself.

I think that is more the association you have with moving your arm that way than anything.

I have seen this as far back as 1991 in my brother's fundie Megachurch of choice. It is a "raising your hand unto the Lord" and accompanied with a lot of "Praise be unto Gawd" and "Father, God!!" exclaimations instead of the familiar "Seig!".

While similiar in their cause of religious domination, their focus is limited to the practice of Christianity and the denunciation/forbidding of "immoral" acts and "degenerate" art.

There are some similarities but I don't think it is intentional.

There are similarities in the goals of the organizations. Both have charismatic leaders. The fundie cause is far more fragmented. It's rather telling when they place the Christian flag above the US flag on their churches.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  17:29:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I don't think it's a nazi-type salute either. An arm raised could mean so many things. If the guy speaking was saying anything like what this cat-lick cardinal did and then made the salute, then I'd reconsider.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  21:04:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Yeah, I don't think it's a nazi-type salute either. An arm raised could mean so many things. If the guy speaking was saying anything like what this cat-lick cardinal did and then made the salute, then I'd reconsider.
I agree about that Cardinal, but I think they guy who was speaking was being easily as fascistic as that Churchman.

After all, Dennis Terry was telling Jews, along with other non-Christians, to "Get out!"

Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/16/2012 21:05:29
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.