Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2012 :  01:43:57  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Original image from Maharishi University website:

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Convinced
Skeptic Friend

USA
384 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2012 :  07:19:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Convinced a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But they have scientific research!

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. (Eph 5:15-17)
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2012 :  07:41:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. I brought up Yogic flying at the end of my interview. Coincidence? You decided.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2012 :  07:42:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I once saw a video report about yogic "flying." I'd never heard of it before. I honest-to-dog thought it was an April Fool's gag. All these people sitting cross-legged and hopping around on their butts, convinced that what they were doing was actually flying -- just that none of them had managed to work out the "not falling back down" bit.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2012 :  08:10:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Heh. I brought up Yogic flying at the end of my interview. Coincidence? You decided.
I actually didn't get to the end of that, yet, sorry!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2012 :  08:15:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hal

I once saw a video report about yogic "flying." I'd never heard of it before. I honest-to-dog thought it was an April Fool's gag. All these people sitting cross-legged and hopping around on their butts, convinced that what they were doing was actually flying -- just that none of them had managed to work out the "not falling back down" bit.
I think even a diabetic frog with legs amputated below the knee could hop better. If what those "yogis" are doing is flying, walking must be rocketing through space. These goons make themselves a laughingstock.

I do, however, approve of the apparent high status of Photoshop amateurs in the Maharishi movement.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/30/2012 08:16:46
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2012 :  11:30:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

MatterOrganic

9 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  18:35:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MatterOrganic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As strange as this first stage of Yogic Flying looks on the outside, something important and very good is going on on the inside. Why do I say this? Because there is maximum brainwave coherence at the moment before the body lifts up. Everything good about the brain increases as the brain wave coherence increases: increased IQ, increased moral reasoning, faster reaction time, etc., etc. This brainwave coherence is not found if someone is not performing the mental technique for Yogic Flying which is part of the TM-Sidhi Program as taught by Maharishi. This maximum coherence in brain waves that is found in individuals practicing Yogic Flying is verified in the following independently published peer-reviewed study:

Travis FT, Orme-Johnson DW. EEG coherence and power during Yogic Flying: investigating the mechanics of the TM-Sidhi program. International Journal of Neuroscience 1990 54(1/2):1-12

another study which shows the coherent brain functioning during Yogic Flying:

Orme-Johnson DW, Gelderloos P. Topographic brain mapping during Yogic Flying. International Journal of Neuroscience 1988 38(3/4):427-434

The International Journal of Neuroscience is an extremely reputable international journal. which has published a total of 17 studies of the over 350 independently published peer-reviewed studies on the TM and TM-Sidhi programs.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  21:06:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where is the evidence that "brainwave coherence" is a good thing?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  21:11:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by MatterOrganic

As strange as this first stage of Yogic Flying looks on the outside, something important and very good is going on on the inside. Why do I say this? Because there is maximum brainwave coherence at the moment before the body lifts up. Everything good about the brain increases as the brain wave coherence increases: increased IQ, increased moral reasoning, faster reaction time, etc., etc. This brainwave coherence is not found if someone is not performing the mental technique for Yogic Flying which is part of the TM-Sidhi Program as taught by Maharishi. This maximum coherence in brain waves that is found in individuals practicing Yogic Flying is verified in the following independently published peer-reviewed study:

Travis FT, Orme-Johnson DW. EEG coherence and power during Yogic Flying: investigating the mechanics of the TM-Sidhi program. International Journal of Neuroscience 1990 54(1/2):1-12

Orme-Johnson DW, Gelderloos P. Topographic brain mapping during Yogic Flying. International Journal of Neuroscience 1988 38(3/4):427-434

The International Journal of Neuroscience is an extremely reputable international journal. which has published a total of 17 studies of the over 350 independently published peer-reviewed studies on the TM and TM-Sidhi programs.
You do realize that there has been a lot of criticism of David Orme-Johnson's methods, controls and conclusions, right?

From Straight Dope:

Will Transcendental Meditation enable you to levitate?

...TMers see levitation not merely as a novel method of transportation but as a mighty blow in the struggle for cosmic consciousness and world peace. According to David Orme-Johnson, a researcher at Maharishi International University, "Thirty-one sociological studies conducted throughout the world document that the quality of life in society significantly improves when as little as the square root of one percent of a population practices TM-Sidhi Yogic Flying together in one place." Orme-Johnson was one of the authors of a recent scientific paper purporting to show levitation and related techniques had reduced the violence in Lebanon.

Wait a sec, you say. Reducing the violence in Lebanon?

My reaction exactly. Nonetheless I've been quite the little trouper in trying to get both sides of the story. I've had long talks with TM spokespeople to find out what scientific basis they have for thinking levitation works. While I don't doubt these people are sincere, all they can give me is a lot of half-baked mumbo jumbo about the "quantum field theory" and the like.

The notion that one could prove yogic flying had reduced the violence in Lebanon, as Orme-Johnson claims to do, is preposterous on its face and suggests that either (1) the exotic statistical techniques used in the social sciences are far less reliable than previously believed, (2) the techniques were improperly employed, or (3) these guys are lying through their teeth. I'll be charitable and say #2 seems like the obvious choice. Reviewers of the paper in question (Journal of Conflict Resolution, 32(4): 776-812) said as much. The fact that the researchers were true believers does nothing to increase one's confidence in the results. As the recent cold fusion fiasco makes clear, scientists are as prone to self-delusion as anybody else.

That's not to say meditation per se, TM-style or otherwise, is a bad thing. The claimed health benefits probably are a placebo effect (i.e., if you think something is going to help you, chances are it will). But a lot of people seem to enjoy chanting mantras and at a few hundred bucks a pop the basic TM course isn't all that expensive. Learning yogic flying, on the other hand, could set you back a stiff three grand. My feeling is, if you gotta hop, go buy yourself a trampoline...

Once phrases like "quantum field theory" is thrown around, the alarms go off. And they should.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  02:51:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yet still, the "yogis" cannot fly. I think the term "yogic lying" would be a better one here.

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  04:13:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I do, however, approve of the apparent high status of Photoshop amateurs in the Maharishi movement.
Yep. Each of the yogis appear to have been given their own auras. Nice touch.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  04:30:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

What's interesting is that only three papers are found via PubMed for keywords "yogic flying," and that 1990 paper listed above is the latest one. Did research into YF just end 22 years ago? Or is there a conspiracy to block publication of the studies in the journals?
A keyword search for "TM-Sidhi" only reveals 17 papers, only one of which has been published in this century.

Now, searching for TM does offer 294 results, but not all of them are positive. This one, for example, suggests that the style of meditation doesn't matter, only the frequency of meditation (in other words, TM isn't special). This one found no benefit for TM in controlling substance abuse among college kids, except that males drank less. This study merely mentions TM as an alleged way to reduce cardiovascular risk to spectators of sporting events.

The take-away is that the raw number of papers isn't an indication that TM is valid.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  04:34:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by moakley

Originally posted by HalfMooner

Yep. Each of the yogis appear to have been given their own auras. Nice touch.
Yup, Photoshop's "Outer Glow" tool.

Go to Top of Page

MatterOrganic

9 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  20:28:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MatterOrganic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps some of this will shed some light and move the conversation forward. Here are quotes from peer-reviewed independent journal editors and other independent scholars:

“I have been following the research on peace-creating groups as it has developed over the last twenty years. There is now a strong and consistent body of evidence showing that this innovative approach provides a simple and cost-effective solution to many of the social problems we face today. In my view, this research is so strong that it demands action from those responsible for government policy.”#8232;Huw Dixon, Ph.D Professor of Economics, York University, England

“I think this research evidence on a new approach to peace, and the theory that informs it, deserve the most serious consideration by academics, policy makers and concerned citizens alike.”#8232;David Edwards, PhD Professor of Government University of Texas (Austin)
“In the studies that I hae examined, I can find no methodological flaws, and the findings have been consistent across a large number of replications. As unlikely as the premise may sound, I think we have to take these studies seriously.”#8232;Ted Robert Gurr, PhD, Emeritus Professor of Government and Politics University of Maryland

“When you can statistically control for as many variables as these studies do, it makes the results much more convincing.”#8232;Raymond Russ, Ph.D. Professor of Psychology, University of Maine Editor, Journal of Mind and Behavior

Research studies investigating an idea like peace-creating groups—a concept that transcends the dominant materialist paradigm of modern science—must run a gauntlet of highly skeptical scholars.#8232;For those unfamiliar with research procedures, the publication of a scientific study implies more than mere printing and distribution. All of the research journals in the above citations are refereed—distinguished experts in the field (referees, or peer reviewers) judge every submitted study. When a theory is new or particularly controversial, referees assess the studies more strictly.

By now peace-creating assemblies have been field-tested in more than 50 demonstration projects, and most of these demonstrations have been covered in 21 independently published peer-reviewed journals.

One of the most convincing aspects of this research is the open, public nature of the evidence. The research on peace-creating groups, is doubly public:#8232;1. The dates and approximate attendance of most peace-creating assemblies are available in contemporaneous newspaper accounts.#8232;2. Statistics on social violence, including crime, accidents, warfare, terrorism, etc., are available to any researcher with access to public records.#8232;This public nature of the evidence means that any given study is replicable by other researchers—a strong safeguard for scientific accuracy.

To be convincing, any study must rule out alternate possible explanations for the results. Since violent crime, for instance, typically increases as daily temperature increases, researchers must account for temperature changes in their analysis. In these studies, researchers have carefully demonstrated that alternate possible explanations—such as weather, regular weekly, monthly or seasonal changes, changes in police patrolling, etc.—cannot account for the evidence.
Go to Top of Page

MatterOrganic

9 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  20:50:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MatterOrganic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Independently published peer-reviewed studies on the TM and TM-Sdihi Programs' effect on increasing positive societal trends and reducing negative social trends at the city, national and international level, in alphabetical order by the last name of the lead researcher

Assimakis PD, Dillbeck MC. Time series analysis of improved quality of life in Canada: social change, collective consciousness, and the TM-Sidhi program. Psychological Reports 1995 76(3):1171-1193 Improved Quality of National Life: Improvements on a Weekly Index Including Motor Vehicle Fatalities, Homicide, and Suicide (Canada, 1983-1985); Improvements on a Monthly Index Inculding Motor Vehicle Fatalities, Homicide, Suicide, Cigarette Consumption, and Worker-Days Lost in Strikes (Canada, 1972-1986). Reduced violent deaths were found in Canada when the size of the Maharishi University of Management group exceeded the square root of one percent of the combined populations of the U.S. and Canada.

Cavanaugh KL. Time series analysis of US and Canadian inflation and unemployment: a test of a field theoretic hypothesis. Proceedings of the American Statistical Association, Business and Economics Statistics Section (pp.799-804). Alexandria, Virginia: American Statistical Association, 1987. Significant improvements shown in the Okun Misery Index (ie., decreased inflation and unemployment), greater strength and stability of the national currency, and improvements in other key economic indicators.Time series intervention analysis of monthly U.S. and Canadian trends (a misery index combining inflation and unemployment) showed improved economic conditions in months immediately after the number of participants exceeded the required number (1600) for the population of the U.S. and Canada.

Cavanaugh KL, King KD. Simultaneous transfer function analysis of Okun's misery index: improvement in the economic quality of life through Maharishi's Vedic science and technology of consciousness. Proceedings of the American Statistical Association, Business and Economics Statistics Section (pp.491-496). Alexandria, Virginia: American Statistical Association, 1988

Cavanaugh KL, King KD, Ertuna C. A multiple-input transfer function model of Okun’s misery index: an empirical test of the Maharishi Effect. Proceedings of the American Statistical Association, Business and Economics Statistics Section (pp.565-570), Alexandria, Virginia: American Statistical Association, 1989

Cavanaugh KL, King KD, Titus BD. Consciousness and the quality of economic life: empirical research on the macroeconomic effects of the collective practice of Maharishi's Transcendental Meditation and TM-Sidhi program. Proceedings of the Midwest Management Society (pp.183-190). Chicago: Midwest Management Society, 1989 This paper reviews a series of studies that document improvements in the national economies of the US and Canada, as indicated by an index of decreased inflation and decreased unemployment, when the number of participants in Maharishi’s Transcendental Meditation and TM-Sidhi Program exceeded the square root of one percent of their national population.

Davies JL, Alexander CN. Alleviating political violence through reducing collective tension: impact assessment analysis of the Lebanon war. Journal of Social Behavior and Personality 2005 17(1):285-338 This study expands upon the (Journal of Conflict Resolution 1988 32(4):776-812) study of the Lebanon conflict (1983) to include a 27-month period during which there were seven assemblies of TM-Sidhi participants of sufficient size to influence the Lebanese conflict according to the square root of one percent formula. These assemblies, which ranged from a small group in the central area of fighting within Lebanon to larger groups in Israel, Yugoslavia and the Netherlands, to three groups of up to 7,800 in the U.S., were the only ones during this time period of sufficient size in relation to their proximity to Lebanon to exceed the threshold for a predicted impact there. The 821-day data base, which included daily levels of cooperation and conflict and the number of reported war fatalities and injuries, was generated using independently developed 16 point scales of cooperation and conflict. Events were coded by an experienced Lebanese coder, blind to the experimental hypotheses and unaware of the assemblies and the technology employed, from eight international new sources. Time series intervention analysis indicated that in contrast to non-experiemental days, during the 93 deays when assemblies where sufficiently large for a predicted impact in Lebanon there was an estimated: a) a 66% mean increase in level of cooperation among antagonists (p<10 to the -6); b) 48% reduction in level of conflict (p<10 to the -8); c) 71% reduction in war fatalities (p<10 to the -10); d) 68% reduction in war injuries (p<10 to -6). A composite Peace/War Index comprised of these variables indicated that each of the 7 assemblies had an independently positive effect on the war and that their combined influence was highly statistically significant (p<10 to the minus 19). The study employs an interrupted time series design with multiple replications, which offers a “very powerful” basis for addressing the issue of causality. Analysis showed that changes in temperature did not account for any of the improvements during the assemblies. The possible impact of religious and national holidays was controlled for.

Dillbeck MC. Test of a field hypothesis of consciousness and social change: time series analysis of participation in the TM-Sidhi program and reduction of violent death in the US. Social Indicators Research 1990 22(4):399-418 Improved Quality of National Life: Improvement on a Weekly Index Including Motor Vehicle Fatalities, Homicide, and Suicide (United States 1982-1985). Since 1982 the size of the group practicing the TM-Sidhi program in Fairfield, Iowa has periodically exceeded the square root of 1% of U.S. population. A detailed analysis of the U.S. quality of life using time series intervention and transfer function analysis during 1979 to 1985 found reduced weekly fatalities due to violence on weeks immediatly after the size of the TM-Sidhi group exceeded the square root of one percent of the U.S. population. This analysis showed that two-thirds of the observed decrease in U.S. fatalities from 1979 to 1985 could be attributed to the group practice of the TM-Sidhi program.

Dillbeck MC, Banus CB, Polanzi C, Landrith III GS. Test of a field model of consciousness and social change: Transcendental Meditation and TM-Sidhi program and decreased urban crime. The Journal of Mind and Behavior 1988 9(4):457-486 The 1981 study published in this journal (The Journal of Mind and Behavior 1981 4:25-45) was expanded upon when investigation was extended to two random samples of 160 cities and 80 Standard Statistical Metropolitan Areas, comprising almost half of the U.S. urban population. Similar results to the 1981 were found. The impact of group practice of the TM-Sidhi program on crime rates was studied in Washington, DC between the years 1981 to 1986, when a group totaling 300 to 500 experts assembled there twice daily. A major collaborative study by researchers at several universities using time series transfer function analysis, found a highly significant relationship between increased attendance in the creating coherence groups and reduced levels of violent crime. The data supported a causal interpretation. The analysis also showed that other factors including weather, police coverage, population age changes and Neighborhood Watch programs, could not account for this reduction in crime. During the five-year period from October 1981 to mid 1986, when the coherence creating groups were present, violent crimes decreased by almost 50% in sharp contrast to previous District trends.

Dillbeck MC, Cavanaugh KL, Glenn T, Orme-Johnson DW, Mittlefehldt V. Effects of Transcendental Meditation and the TM-Sidhi program on quality of life indicators: consciousness as a field. The Journal of Mind and Behavior 1987 8(1):67-104 At the metropolitan and state levels, time series intervention studies found reduced crime in Metro Manila, Philippines, in New Dehli India and in Puerto Rico during periods in which large groups had assembled in these locations for conferences involving daily practice of the TM-Sidhi program. Other intervention studies in Metro Manila and Rhode Island found similar improvements in holistic indices of quality of life composed of available social indicators.

Dillbeck MC, Landrith III G, Orme-Johnson DW. The Transcendental Meditation program and crime rate change in a sample of forty-eight cities. Journal of Crime and Justice 1981 4:25-45 In the first of many published studies in peer-reviewed journals, crime rates in the first 24 U.S. cities in which at least 1% of the population had learned the Transcendental Meditation technique were compared to matched control cities. Total crime dropped 16% in the “1% cities” compared to the control cities, controlling for key demographic variables.

Dillbeck MC, Rainforth MV. Impact assessment analysis of behavioral quality of life indices: effects of group practice of the Transcendental Meditation and TM-Sidhi program. Proceedings of the American Statistical Association, Social Statistics Section (pp.38-43). Alexandria, Virginia: American Statistical Association, 1996 Improved Quality of National Life: Improvements Controlling for Economic Changes on a Monthly Index Including Motor Vehicle Fatalities, Homicide, Suicide, Deaths Due to Accidents (other than Motor Vehicle), Notifiable Diseases, Alcohol Consumption, Cigarette Consumption (United States, 1970-1986); Improvements Controlling for Economic Changes on a Monthly Index Including Motor Vehicle Fatalities, Homicide, Suicide, Cigarette Consumption (Canada 1972-1986)

Farwell LA, Farwell GW. Quantum mechanical processes and consciousness. Bulletin of the American Physical Society 1995 40(2):956-957

Gelderloos P, Cavanaugh KL, Davies JL. The dynamics of US-Soviet relations, 1979-1986: a simultaneous transfer function analysis of US-Soviet relations. A test of the Maharishi Effect. Proceedings of the American Statistical Association, Social Statistics Section (pp.297-302). Alexandria, Virginia: American Statistical Association, 1990 Improved USA/USSR Relations: Improved USA Statements and Actions Towards the USSR and Improved USSR Statements and Actions Towards the USA (USA and USSR 1979-1986)

Gelderloos P, Frid MJ, Goddard PH, Xue X, Löliger SA. Creating world peace through the collective practice of the Maharishi Technology of the Unified Field: improved US-Soviet relations. Social Science Perspectives Journal 1988 2(4):80-94

Goodman RS, Goodman DH, Wolfson RA. A consciousness-based approach to human security. In MV Naidu (ed.), Perspectives on Human Security (pp.189-210). Brandon, Manitoba: Canadian Peace Research and Education Association, 2001

Hagelin JS, Rainforth MV, Orme-Johnson DW, Cavanaugh KL, Alexander CN, Shatkin SF, Davies JL, Hughes AO, Ross E. Effects of group practice of the Transcendental Meditation program on preventing violent crime in Washington, DC: results of the National Demonstration Project, June-July 1993. Social Indicators Research 1999 47(2):153-201 Improved Quality of City and National Life as Measured by Decreased Violent Crime in the National Capitol (Washington, DC, USA June and July 1993). This six million dollar scientific demonstration, involving 4,000 participants over a period of two months was on of the largest and most rigorously designed sociological experiments in history. The prediction of a 20% drop in crime and the specific research methodology to be used were lodged in advance with the national and international press and with a 27 member Project Review Board, consisting of renowned scientists, government leaders and members of the District of Columbia Metropolitan Police Department (DCMPD). A research protocol, specifying both the research methodology (time series transfer function analysis) and the independent and dependent variables was approved by the Project Review Board and notarized on June 17, 1993. By the end of the Demonstration Project, when the group was largest, violent crime dropped sharply by more than 23% (p<10 to the -9th) below the predicted level without the creating coherence group. The analysis specifically controlled for variables known to influence violent crime and found that the drop in crime could not be attributed to temperature, precipitation, changes in police surveillance, weekend effects or trends in the data. The results were not sensitive to the specific assumptions used in constructing the time series model.

Hatchard GD, Deans AJ, Cavanaugh KL, Orme-Johnson DW. The Maharishi Effect: a model for social improvement. Time series analysis of a phase transition to reduced crime in Merseyside Metropolitan Area. Psychology, Crime and Law 1996 2(3):165-174 Improved Quality of City Life: Decreased Crime Rate (Merseyside, England (1988-1991)

Orme-Johnson DW, Alexander CN, Davies JL. The effects of the Maharishi Technology of the Unified Field: reply to a methodological critique. Journal of Conflict Resolution 1990 34(4):756-768 Strong Replication of Original Research Methodology: Decreased International Conflict (Israel and Lebanon, August/September 1983)

Orme-Johnson DW, Alexander CN, Davies JL, Chandler HM, Larimore WE. International peace project in the Middle East: the effects of the Maharishi Technology of the Unified Field. Journal of Conflict Resolution 1988 32(4):776-812 This is an especially critical experimental test of the hypotheses that the group practice of the TM-Sidhi program by the square root of one percent of a population would positively affect sociological measures was conducted in Israel in August and September of 1983. Based on the results of previous experiments, the research hypotheses and the specific measures to be used in the study were lodged in advance of the experiment with an independent review board of scientists in the U.S. and Isreael. It was predicted that group practice of the TM-Sidhi program in Jerusalem would reduce stress in the collective consciousness of Israel and Lebanon. Time series intervention and transfer function analyses were used to study the effects of changes in the size of the group on several variables and composite indices reflecting the quality of life in Jerusalem and Israel, and also the war in Lebanon. This study shows a striking covariation between the size of the group of TM-Sidhi participants and a composite index of quality of life that was the arithmetic average of standardized scores for crime rate, traffic accidents, fires, stock market, national mood and the number of war deaths as a measure of war intensity in Lebanon. Increases in the size of the group had a statistically significant effect on the individual variables and on the composite quality-of-life index. Transfer function analysis indicated that the group had a leading relationship to change on the quaility-of-life indicators (by one-day), supporting a causal interpretation. There was a 34% reduction in war intensity and a 76% reduction in war deaths during periods of high numbers of TM-Sidhi participants. Time series analysis demonstrated that the effect could not be attributed to seasonality (such as weekend effects), to holidays, or to changes in temperature. The hypothesis that the influence occurs on a fundamental and holistic level of nature is supported by the fact that the arithmetic average of the different measures produced the clearest results and by the observation that the different sociological measures tended to change independently of each other when the group size was small, but all changed coherently in a positive direction as the group size was increased.:

Orme-Johnson DW, Dillbeck MC, Alexander CN. Preventing terrorism and international conflict: effects of large assemblies of participants in the Transcendental Meditation and TM-Sidhi programs. Journal of Offender Rehabilitation 2003 36(1-4):283-302 A global-scale study published in the Journal of Offender Rehabilitation documented a 72% drop in international terrorism when groups practicing the TM-Sidhi Program were large enough to affect the global population. Terrorism returned to previous levels after the experiment.

Orme-Johnson DW, Gelderloos P, Dillbeck MC. The long-term effects of the Maharishi Technology of the Unified Field on the quality of life in the United States (1960 to 1983). Social Science Perspectives Journal 1988 2(4):127-146 Results during large coherence creating groups practicing the TM or TM-Sidhi program include reduced incidence of infectious diseases, fewer hospital admissions, and fewer psychiatric emergencies.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds.