Is this what it sounds like?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  11:03:48  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjZIryL_SYo&feature=g-vrec&context=G218432eRVAAAAAAAAAA

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  11:43:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjZIryL_SYo&feature=g-vrec&context=G218432eRVAAAAAAAAAA

As much as a dislike Santorum, I doubt that it was anything more than momentary a tongue tied gaff.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  13:18:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

As much as a dislike Santorum, I doubt that it was anything more than momentary a tongue tied gaff.

I'd say you're probably right

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  14:34:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Santorum's said enough dumb stuff with clear diction and intent to drive away those without ideological or religious chains binding them to him. Even if he'd meant to say what it sounds like he almost said, most of his base would only agree with the sentiment, so it wouldn't hurt his electoral chances.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  14:53:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.
Even if he'd meant to say what it sounds like he almost said, most of his base would only agree with the sentiment, so it wouldn't hurt his electoral chances.

This is what annoys me, it's as if Republicans are looked at as a caricature at all times, but people are serious when they say it...

-Giordano Bruno

-Stephen Hawking

-Albert Camus
Edited by - Machi4velli on 04/07/2012 14:54:55
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  18:51:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Dave W.
Even if he'd meant to say what it sounds like he almost said, most of his base would only agree with the sentiment, so it wouldn't hurt his electoral chances.
This is what annoys me, it's as if Republicans are looked at as a caricature at all times, but people are serious when they say it...
I'm not sure how to parse your response, but I wasn't referring to Republicans in general, and no politician (in any party) can do something so reprehensible as to disenchant core followers.

Santorum has been playing up his religion and his anti-Obama stances, which would natural ingratiate him to a lot of people in the south who would welcome a "straight-talker" who "isn't afraid" to use racist language. Meanwhile, some of the policies he's suggested would hurt those same voters, so their loyalty can't be because they actually concur with his ideas about how the country should be governed.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  19:25:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Santorum stuttered. But it almost sounds like he was about to intone the N-word, Ninja. (But I'm always suspecting and/or hiring Ninjas when I can't quite figure things out.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  20:56:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm struggling to find a large bloc that is racist and supports someone saying that.

-Giordano Bruno

-Stephen Hawking

-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  22:44:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Well, I'm struggling to find a large bloc that is racist and supports someone saying that.
I've got neighbors and co-workers who would support someone saying that. And I'm in northern Virginia, which is supposedly much more liberal than the rest of this tobacco and turkey state.

And then there was the episode of Top Gear in which the hosts got rocks thrown at them at a gas station in Alabama merely for having slogans painted on their cars like "country music sucks" and "man love OK." We're talking about people who think that the rebel flag is a good thing to include in state flags, and who believe the lies about the Civil War being about Federalism.

Besides, if Republicans are 36.4% of the electorate and Santorum is favored by 24.9% of Republicans, then the "large bloc" is at most 9.1% (or 1 out of 11) of US voters. And I'm just saying that he'd have to alienate a lot of the people who support him to affect his position in the election, which right now means he'd have to have tons of people defect to Gingrich in upcoming primaries in order to be knocked down to third in the race. Considering the number of southern primaries in the near future, it's unlikely that the N-word will greatly change his chances, even if he meant it.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.