Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 Moonscape News
 Repost Oldie: What if Jack Chick were an Atheist?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2012 :  10:36:01  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[Originally posted Posted - 01/26/2007. The original thread is here.]

The vast majority of the following artwork is not mine, but is by the hand of that dangerously under-estimated genius, Jack Chick.

Yes, I just called Jack Chick a genius! I state this even though Chick's cartoon artwork might be charitably described as second-rate, and even though his themes take a "lowest common denominator" approach to what he clearly assumes is a remarkably ignorant, stupid, and semi-literate target group. I say Chick is a genius, because he is wildly successful.

Jack Chick's mind seems to be a seething, paranoid landscape in which he sees Satanic conspiracies everywhere. Chick uses the crassest lies, bigotry, fear-mongering, errors and hate in his self-appointed role as the Joseph Goebbels of Jesus.

He attacks Wicca, Dungeons and Dragons, Freemasonry, evolutionary science, Catholics, Muslims, homosexuals, abortion and rock-and-roll, all with a deep sense of hatred, equating them all with Satan.

He does this through his (in)famous "Chick Tracts," more than 150 comic tracts that he prints by the hundreds of millions, in many languages. And this is actually a profitable enterprise for him, because fundamentalists buy his tracts in quantity from Chick Publications, and then give them away (or just lay them on bus station benches) for free. Chick Tracts must be effective, because he's still cranking them out. (One of them, the anti-evolution epic, "Big Daddy," even had some of its exact wording incorporated into an Arkansas anti-evolution bill.)

Genius. Draw crummy cartoons, tell lies by the hundreds, have many people think you are a saint, and get rich on it all. Not my favorite kind of genius, but genius nonetheless.

The following parody is based upon one of Chick's more moderate tracts, "Holy Joe." Apparently in Chick's mind the US military is populated mainly by sadistic atheists. (That's not quite how I recall it, but maybe Chick remembers more clearly than I do.) The original "Holy Joe" cartoon can be seen here. I hope you will read it carefully, and before you read my parody.

My parody used Jack Chick's original artwork. For the most part, I simply substituted my own dialogue in place of Chick's. I also replaced Biblical quotations with quotations of Richard Dawkins (though sometimes I simply had Dawkins say silly stuff I made up). I sometimes modified the artwork in small ways. Even though I did not do the underlying artwork, I did spend several eighteen-hour days slaving over this project. I'm not complaining -- it was all a hoot!

In no way does my parody reflect the thinking of Jack Chick, or of Chick Publications! Please do not confuse my hatchet-job with a real Chick Tract hatchet job! Nor does SFN or Richard Dawkins have anything to do with this little one-off parody of mine. It's all my fault!

Beware, I inserted a few dirty words for comedic effect.

Presenting, in 23 images...

"Unholy Joe"

[Edit: Moved all files off an unreliable server.]

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2012 :  14:36:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was GOOD

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2012 :  22:23:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Hawks. "Unholy Joe" is my favorite of all my Chick parodies, and one of the few to survive with all its panels intact.

It was sheer luck more than anything else that the parody worked as well as it did. (My creative process is of the chaotic, hit-or-miss kind, in case you haven't noticed.)

I'd just jumped into Chick's original and started twisting and slashing, winging it and crossing my fingers. Somehow I was able to re-twist Chick's tale. I'd quickly developed a mental back-story that Jack Chick was an atheist when he drew it, but just as crazy as in the real world. Whenever I'd run into baffling problems that had no possible logical solution, I was forced to invent illogical solutions. (As with in the panel that now says, "Meanwhile, somewhere else, some guy took acid and thinks he's an angel. But that's another story." Hallucinogens, like the "It was only a dream" trick, can explain any plot absurdity.)

I especially enjoyed taking the opportunity to put in my favorite Dawkins quotes, and even invent some new ones.

A few folks may have thought I was actually advocating the slaughter of Christians, but all I was trying to do was remain both funny and absurd within the unstated premise of the tract being the work of an atheist madman. ("He's the crazy, NOT ME!!!")

Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/14/2012 22:26:29
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2012 :  11:44:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fun! The original was such contrived claptrap.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2012 :  21:09:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

Fun! The original was such contrived claptrap.
Thanks!

People tend to overlook how effective Chick's stuff really is. Logic and evidence (or slick art) don't count for much in emotionally charged propaganda like his. It's easy to underestimate Chick. He's built an empire that's arguably the world's biggest publisher, all with claptrap like "Holy Joe."

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.