Prayer and Auto Hypnosis
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  13:18:42  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
prayer really works according to The secular Humanists. But the answer is not from a deity but from auto hypnosis. I prayed for a new house and did not get it. Did I not hypnotize the bank enough? I believe in suggestion in fact I myself believe in prayers and casting spells. Many of which I had great success with, some I did not. Are any of you Secular Humanists?

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  13:36:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Storm

prayer really works according to The secular Humanists.
Where?
But the answer is not from a deity but from auto hypnosis. I prayed for a new house and did not get it. Did I not hypnotize the bank enough?
The key word you missed would be "auto," probably.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  13:58:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Auto meaning? Automatic? I have a bundle of info they sent to me. This particular item is entitled Prayers don't work right? They calim objective research proves that it does?

"Humanism is a democratic and ethical life stance, which affirms that human beings have the right and responsibility to give meaning and shape to their own lives. It stands for the building of a more humane society through an ethic based on human and other natural values in the spirit of reason and free inquiry through human capabilities. It is not theistic, and it does not accept supernatural views of reality."

If we have the right to give meaning to and shape our lives, can it not include a deity? The spirit of reason? sounds quite theistic.

To promote and unify Humanist identity, prominent members of the IHEU have endorsed the following statements on Humanist identity:[3]

All Humanists, nationally and internationally, should always use the one word Humanism as the name of Humanism: no added adjective, and the initial letter capital (by life stance orthography);
All Humanists, nationally and internationally, should use a clear, recognizable and uniform symbol on their publications and elsewhere: our Humanist symbol the "Happy Human";
All Humanists, nationally and internationally, should seek to establish recognition of the fact that Humanism is a life stance.

This sounds like dogma to me? Are Skeptics Humanists.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  14:36:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Storm

Auto meaning? Automatic?
"Auto" meaning "self," as in "autoeroticism."
Are Skeptics Humanists.
I'm not.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  15:02:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So auto hypnosis is self hypnosis. Still do not see how they correlate. So do you talk yourself into say... the bank will give me money to get my new house? I can see how that works. Prayers, spells auto hypnosis all the same.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  19:37:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Self-fulfilling prophecies, kind of.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  20:09:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So what would be their answer to a non answered prayer? or is one self hypnotizing that prayer works. Visisualization
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  23:09:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reminds me of the old Emo story. When he was a kid, prayed and prayed for a bicycle. But God didn't answer his prayers. One day he figured out what he was doing wrong. He stole a bicycle and prayed for forgiveness.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  04:06:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tried auto hypnosis, but the car didn't cooperate.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  06:09:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Didn't work for me either.

Ended up casting the magic spell "Summon Tow Truck". Generally cast using spell components, a verbal component, and semantic component.

Holding $150 in one hand, one then pushes buttons while holding a small box near one's ear. The verbal components consist of saying the magic phrase "Hey, Action Towing, I need you to hook a car at <location> and take it to <location>. I got cash."

And Wiccan spell work consists of changing oneself to attract or achieve the desired result. Casting spells on others is unethical.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  06:28:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Ended up casting the magic spell "Summon Tow Truck". Generally cast using spell components, a verbal component, and semantic component.

Holding $150 in one hand, one then pushes buttons while holding a small box near one's ear. The verbal components consist of saying the magic phrase "Hey, Action Towing, I need you to hook a car at <location> and take it to <location>. I got cash."

And Wiccan spell work consists of changing oneself to attract or achieve the desired result. Casting spells on others is unethical.

What ever happened to that +2 Tire Iron you won in the Psychic contest? I was hoping you would use your ring of three-wishes, I had something special in mind for you along the lines of "Christine"

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  08:16:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

What ever happened to that +2 Tire Iron you won in the Psychic contest? I was hoping you would use your ring of three-wishes, I had something special in mind for you along the lines of "Christine"

Doesn't work on non-tire related matters. I had an issue where the Red Sled (+15 chick repellant) had a leak in the windshield and the water was running down the frame into the fusebox. This caused the anti-theft circuit (always active) to jump across to the ignition coil circuits. (After getting the van to start and driving it to the dealership where I traded it in, it also failed to shut off the engine when the key was rotated to the OFF position and removed from the vehicle.)

I've seen Christine's work. It always gets you in the end. Karmic retribution is a bitch.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  13:16:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Auto or self-hypnosis is only useful for helping one deal with certain emotions, especially anxiety or helping you be more focused. Prayer or chanting can be a technique of getting yourself into a hypnotic state. If you are hypnotized you are in a "trance state." This trance state can happen normally at other times, like when you are driving. Have you ever been driving and found yourself much further along your route than you remember. During that time you are in a "trance" but of course able to function normally.

Self-hypnosis can help with sports, doing art work, music etc. Getting yourself "into a groove" so to speak. Self-hypnosis can also help for anxiety, panic attacks, phobias. The only way it will affect your bank account is if it just helps you work better and more efficiently. Bank accounts don't improve magically

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.