Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  17:43:18  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sitting outside a restaurant on a lovely day with my beautiful fluffy bitch, Ruby, and I hear a gasp behind me. A young woman in a headscarf who was apparently on her way by on the sidewalk is standing with her hand over her mouth, staring at my dog. She and her friend walk their way around, in the street on the other side of the parked cars. As she gets back to the sidewalk, she gasps loudly and again stares at Ruby for a moment before proceeding.

http://thorgolucky.com/images/2012/2012-05-08_Ruby_on_Block_15_sidewalk.jpg

I admit to schadenfreuda, if the cause of her distress was due to her Muslim dogma.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  18:59:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

I'm sitting outside a restaurant on a lovely day with my beautiful fluffy bitch, Ruby, and I hear a gasp behind me. A young woman in a headscarf who was apparently on her way by on the sidewalk is standing with her hand over her mouth, staring at my dog. She and her friend walk their way around, in the street on the other side of the parked cars. As she gets back to the sidewalk, she gasps loudly and again stares at Ruby for a moment before proceeding.

http://thorgolucky.com/images/2012/2012-05-08_Ruby_on_Block_15_sidewalk.jpg

I admit to schadenfreuda, if the cause of her distress was due to her Muslim dogma.

A lovely dog, is Ruby!

And all that Muslim thing about dogs being haram, or ritually "unclean," came from Muhammad's personal prejudice. He happened to like cats, though, so they are still "clean."

I had Muslim dinner guests (a young man from Pakistan and his young wife from Afghanistan) at my house in Half Moon Bay about a dozen years ago. Unfortunately, I hadn't given a thought to my three guest-loving Chihuahuas. The dinner was a disaster. As he sat at the table, the man actually pulled up his legs and screamed like a little girl. At the time, I did not think it was funny. I do now.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/08/2012 19:01:04
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  19:20:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a handsome dog. I can understand how some people don't like dogs because they can be a good judge of character and can hear people digging a hole in the roadway, in the middle of the night.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  19:44:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was standing next to a dog last month when this scarfed woman asked me if my dog bites. I said "No".
When she went to pet the dog it bit her.
Shocked she said "You said your dog doesn't bite!". I said "My dog doesn't, that's not my dog".

Maybe that was her!?

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  19:49:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

I was standing next to a dog last month when this scarfed woman asked me if my dog bites. I said "No".
When she went to pet the dog it bit her.
Shocked she said "You said your dog doesn't bite!". I said "My dog doesn't, that's not my dog".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXn2QVipK2o

Ruby used to snap at some people, but she has mellowed out in her old age. She even let a stranger pet her while she was eating; inconceivable!
Edited by - ThorGoLucky on 05/08/2012 19:51:31
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  20:09:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems like a strange reaction to me. Having lived in Muslim countries before (and currently) I've never witnessed someone actually being shocked by the mere sight of a dog. They just aren't supposed to touch or eat them. And since this happened (I'm assuming) in the USA it seems even more unusual she would not be accustomed to seeing them. Unless she's a tourist or immigrant. In which case I'd imagine she would adapt pretty soon. The stigma surrounding dogs is not anywhere close to that of swine in my experience.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  03:24:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Seems like a strange reaction to me. Having lived in Muslim countries before (and currently) I've never witnessed someone actually being shocked by the mere sight of a dog. They just aren't supposed to touch or eat them. And since this happened (I'm assuming) in the USA it seems even more unusual she would not be accustomed to seeing them. Unless she's a tourist or immigrant. In which case I'd imagine she would adapt pretty soon. The stigma surrounding dogs is not anywhere close to that of swine in my experience.
No, not as bad in their minds as swine, though I think even that may vary. (And thank goodness I've never walked a pig in the places where I've encountered many Muslims.)

Many Muslims feel the need for ritual purification after any close encounter with a dog. But some equally devout Islamic people pretty much ignore the haram status of dogs, as in the case of the people in Saudi Arabia who keep Saluki dogs as pets and for hunting. Occasionally, common sense and even older traditions trump religious taboos.

Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  05:08:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
also cats are haram to eat but not to keep. Haram doesn't mean "unclean" it means "banned". Touching dogs as far as I know is not haram. But it is considered unclean. I think pork would be considered haram as well as unclean. In my experience the taboo of eating pork is the absolute last one that even the most lapsed Muslim will break.

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  06:45:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was at a snack shop in one of the buildings I work at the other day and an obviosly Muslim woman asks "What types of pizza slices are available?" The clueless clerk offers Ham, Pepperoni or Sausage... The woman passes on the pizza so the clerk says "We're out of soup but I can make you a BLT!"

After she left I apologised on behalf of the less ignorant, then I ordered a BLT.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  07:36:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe she just has severe cynophobia? Maybe encouraged by her (apparent) religious background, or maybe not? My wife used to be like that. If we were walking down the sidewalk and she saw a large dog, she'd immediately cross to the other side of the street. She'd been "attacked" once (I later learned she'd simply received a savage "barking") and the mere thought of a close encounter sent her anxiety sky-high. Used to drive me crazy (yes, I have been an insensitive clod, far too often). She's much better now, though.

Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  18:10:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On my way to work this morning, I saw a kid walking his little pig on a leash. Adorable.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  21:51:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hal

Maybe she just has severe cynophobia? Maybe encouraged by her (apparent) religious background, or maybe not? My wife used to be like that. If we were walking down the sidewalk and she saw a large dog, she'd immediately cross to the other side of the street. She'd been "attacked" once (I later learned she'd simply received a savage "barking") and the mere thought of a close encounter sent her anxiety sky-high. Used to drive me crazy (yes, I have been an insensitive clod, far too often). She's much better now, though.
I suspect that fear of canines may be instinctive. It may require careful (hopefully, early) exposure for anyone not to be scared of mutts.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/09/2012 21:53:37
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  21:52:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

On my way to work this morning, I saw a kid walking his little pig on a leash. Adorable.
Cool! But I seem to have a fear of pigs, one I'm not even trying to overcome.

Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  06:14:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

A few years ago we had an incident here in Toronto in which a muslim taxi driver refused to take someone who had a dog, which raised the question of what would happen if it was a service dog for a disabled person. The general consensus was that the taxi driver should leave their religion at home and do their damned job. I believe we've also had cases of muslim drivers refusing to carry passengers who had cases of beer or bottles of liquor or wine.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  06:16:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Then there's this kind of shit: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1295749/Muslim-bus-drivers-refuse-let-guide-dogs-board.html

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  07:01:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I pity the Muslim or Muslima who desperately needs a seeing-eye or other kind of helping dog, but can't use one because their family considers the beasts unclean. I don't nearly as much pity the faithful Muslim who personally won't even consider employing an "unclean" dog's help, though. I tend to think of that as evolution is action.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.