Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  09:38:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Anyone that stupid deserves to be conned.
There are elderly, not really exposed to critical thinking, who have no idea that these people are out to steal their money. They deserve it? Pretty harsh judgment don't you think? And what about the criminals who prey on the credulous? Is it not fair game for those of us who actively promote skepticism to attempt, as best we can, to make the lives of criminals more difficult? Or do they get a pass because some people are "stupid?"

I'm assuming your comment was bait. You know that we fight against this sort of thing. So you're just trolling for a response. Either that or you really are a big enough dick to suggest that victims of crimes deserve what they get, simply because they are not as smart as you are about such things.

But here's the thing. From where I sit, you have fallen for one of the biggest cons of all. So maybe you're just projecting?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  10:28:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello dear,
Thanks for your prompt response. I really appreciate your concern, my prayer is that God gives me my approval. I am currently living here in Senegal where I'm looking for political asylum as a refugee because of the crisis in my country. Secondly I want to move with you to continue my education and start a good business to profit. Please contact me at this phone number +221-772-626-634. That belongs to the man who takes care of every body, here we call Father. So when you call just ask me.

Now, because of my political situation that can not make this claims by myself I need a foreigner to remain in my name at the bank, so I decided to make this contact with you, for you to be in my name at the bank and ask that the possibility of transferring this fund into position in place. I have the certificate of deposit and account number of my late father plus the death certificate, everything about this operation is clear.

I would like first contact with the bank in this fund are deposited, we will hear from them before anything else will, is because the trust placed in you that made me to disclose this matter with you, believing that I keep it in your hand, no body knows what I have and where I am, please, I beg for my safety and security can be kept very private, I know that God will see us through.

Once you get well, I will send banking information to contact you, so that from there he will contact them about the account and find out the possibility of transferring this fund in his position can really appreciate their concern, waiting for your urgent reply so that we can proceed.

Please send your full name and contact home or office address with your phone number so you can use it to write a nomination letter to the bank to officially present to the bank to contact the bank, they will know of a truth that comes in my name.
Best regard
Hazina

My reply:

Dear Hazina,

Oh, that sounds serious. Your life is in danger? It’s probably a good idea to move to our country if that’s the case. Did you say that you want to live with me? My door is always open! You’re not allergic to cats are you?

Listen. About that phone number to gave me. Is it okay if I reverse the charges? I’m on a fixed plan and I can’t seem to make that call, try as I might, without being warned that it’s off my plan and will cost me several fees unless I reverse the charges.

Do you have any Internet phone access? Like Gmail? Then we could even talk face to face on the computer! How neat is that?! Or you could join Google Plus and we could become friends. Then we could chat face to face on our computers that way. Nice features at Google Plus. And it’s free!

Again, I’m confused. So all you need is my name, which you have, my phone number and a letter from me, and your bank will add me to your account? Is that right?

And don’t worry about me keeping this private. Mums the word! I just wish I understood exactly what you are talking about?

About that guy you call Father. We have people like that here who help woman, kind of. Some of them are not to be trusted! Have you ever seen the movie, “Taxi Driver?”

Anyhow, let me know what I can do. Sorry I’m confused.

David

--
David Glück
Skeptic Friends Network
www.skepticfriends.org

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  22:02:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Lack of intellect makes one deserving of abuse? Man, that's really bad news for people with Downs, Alzheimer Disease or just plain low IQs.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 06/01/2012 22:02:45
Go to Top of Page

Convinced
Skeptic Friend

USA
384 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  10:12:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Convinced a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Innocent people deserve to be conned like Jesus deserved to be crucified.

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. (Eph 5:15-17)
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  11:26:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Convinced

Um, wasn't his crucifixion necessary for your salvation?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Convinced
Skeptic Friend

USA
384 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  12:47:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Convinced a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Yes, but Jesus did not deserve punishment for sin.

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. (Eph 5:15-17)
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  13:26:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote

As DaveW said no salvation without the punishment. Convenient the way the bible creates both the disease and the cure.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Convinced
Skeptic Friend

USA
384 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  14:06:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Convinced a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by moakley

As DaveW said no salvation without the punishment. Convenient the way the bible creates both the disease and the cure.
No. It just exposes our sin problem. But it does give us a cure.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  19:18:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Nonsense. Jesus was at least part human, and so deserved punishment for his being born into sin just like the rest of us.

Later, you wrote:
No. It just exposes our sin problem.
Are you saying that it would have been impossible for God to have made a universe such that we are all born without sin?

One of the reasons I call the Christian conception of God a bully is that he necessarily created not only the evil that we do but our ability to do it, and yet he punishes us for both.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  00:10:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That's just wrong.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Convinced
Skeptic Friend

USA
384 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  13:34:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Convinced a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Nonsense. Jesus was at least part human, and so deserved punishment for his being born into sin just like the rest of us.
He was not part human but fully human. A hypostatic union, fully man fully God. The Bible is clear that Jesus was sinless. There is some Biblical support (Ro 5, Gen 3) that the sin nature comes from the father not the mother. So Jesus father was God and his mother was human so he was not born with original sin. I think that is still up for debate but again the Bible is clear that Jesus was sinless however it happened.

Are you saying that it would have been impossible for God to have made a universe such that we are all born without sin?
I don't know. I do know that we have the capacity to sin and deserve punishment for it.

One of the reasons I call the Christian conception of God a bully is that he necessarily created not only the evil that we do but our ability to do it, and yet he punishes us for both.
We create sin by transgressing Gods law. God gave us that capability but He does not make us sin.

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  14:19:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote

We create sin by transgressing Gods law. God gave us that capability but He does not make us sin.
but he gave us sin since we are born into it. After all Mom and Dad had to get busy in order to conceive us. How has a newborn had any opportunity of transgressing any law?

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  16:16:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

He was not part human but fully human. A hypostatic union, fully man fully God.
That'd be even worse.
The Bible is clear that Jesus was sinless.
Where at?
I don't know. I do know that we have the capacity to sin and deserve punishment for it.
We deserve punishment merely for having the capacity to sin?!
We create sin by transgressing Gods law.
No, God created everything, including evil. If God didn't need to give us the capacity to sin (allowing us to live sinless lives), then he gave us something we didn't require and punishes us for using it.

If a parent were to give a handgun to a toddler, and instruct the child not to use it, I would hope that in the event of a gunshot, you'd agree that punishing the kid would be idiotic.
God gave us that capability but He does not make us sin.
I didn't say that he makes us sin (of course, God doing things like hardening hearts makes claims of free will ludicrous), I said that he created evil. He invented the concept of evil, and gave us the ability to do evil things. These points are undeniable if you believe that god created the universe. If you believe in the veracity of the story of Adam and Eve, it's even more undeniable.

The only way a Christian can logically deny in a consistent fashion God's creation of evil is to insist that God didn't think that humans would ever use the capacity that he built into them, which is to deny God's omniscience, or that God had no choice but to make sin-capable humans, which is to deny God's omnipotence. But neither is consistent with the Biblical descriptions of God's character, so Christians wishing to take the blame for evil cannot do so in any consistent fashion, after all.

Hey, Kil: any updates on Miss Hazina?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  18:19:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, Kil: any updates on Miss Hazina?
Miss Hazina became rather short with me. I should post that letter. I think I will respond to it eventually, and mostly I haven't because I forgot. Duh!

I need to find a way respond that will force the person to go off script.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  18:45:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe you need a little spiritual inspiration. Pray and seek guidance from the lord Jesus that he might send to you the holy spirit to shine his light, illuminating your way.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds.