Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  06:39:12  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a talk with Wally Moon, an acquaintance I've known over the years at the pub. He was reading a book called Water and Salt: The Essence of Live

http://www.himalayanlivingsalt.com/book.htm

He was convinced that regular table salt has had its life essence removed, toxins added, and is bad for you, yet much more expensive Himilayan natural salt was healthy. He eats it directly, not as a food additive.

http://www.americanbluegreen.com/products.html

Edited by - ThorGoLucky on 05/25/2012 06:40:27

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  07:15:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha! Salt is sodium chloride. That's it. If you don't want additives and you want the best salt for cooking and serving, just use kosher salt. I don't know if it will improve your "essence." But hey! It's pure! And it's a whole lot cheaper than the woo crap.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  08:21:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, Kil. NaCl is table salt. If someone wants it "pure," they may be missing essential nutrients. Iodine is usually added to help prevent mental retardation (Wiki):
Iodine is important to prevent the insufficient production of thyroid hormones (hypothyroidism), which can cause goiter, cretinism in children, and myxedema in adults.
Too much salt ("pure" or not) also tends to increase fluid retention causing hypertension in some people.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  11:51:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Walley Moon is impervious to reason and evidence. He also regularly does "intestinal detox" to poop out big long rubbery snakes that he's convinced had been there before he swallowed mixtures of herbs, bentonite and psyllium that created them in the first place. Silly man.
Edited by - ThorGoLucky on 05/25/2012 11:53:53
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  07:24:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

also tends to increase fluid retention causing hypertension in some people.
As important as it is to note that it "tends" to increase fluid retention and not just "increases fluid retention" you correctly added "in some people". While often added it's less often sufficiently comprehended.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  09:50:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

also tends to increase fluid retention causing hypertension in some people.
As important as it is to note that it "tends" to increase fluid retention and not just "increases fluid retention" you correctly added "in some people". While often added it's less often sufficiently comprehended.
Right. And people need some of it desperately as a regular part of their diets. Taking salt supplements can save lives for people working in hot weather. My Dad always took salt tablets with lots of water when he worked as a carpenter in San Diego's summers. He knew others who didn't, and died.

Go to Top of Page

Negative Entropy

12 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  15:55:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Negative Entropy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Indeed, Kil. NaCl is table salt. If someone wants it "pure," they may be missing essential nutrients. Iodine is usually added to help prevent mental retardation.

Wasn't iodine added for a healthy thyroid?
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  19:36:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Negative Entropy

Indeed, Kil. NaCl is table salt. If someone wants it "pure," they may be missing essential nutrients. Iodine is usually added to help prevent mental retardation.

Wasn't iodine added for a healthy thyroid?
Yes Negative Entropy, it benefits the thyroid but that isn't the only benefit from the added iodine. I grew up in NYC and remember as a little child seeing occasionally elderly women with a huge "goiter" on her neck. I talking about big enough to be a smaller head without the eyes and hair. That's something on a adult that a little kid doesn't miss and don't forget, let me tell you. Form what I was told it was from an iodine deficient diet affecting the thyroid. Halfmooners Wiki link covers iodine as an additive, a bit further down in the write up. It covers points like "is the leading preventable cause of mental retardation" and "Iodine deficiency commonly leads to thyroid gland problems, specifically endemic goiter, a disease characterized by a swelling of the thyroid gland, usually resulting in a bulbous protrusion on the neck". You might want to read it in full, the iodine part.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  20:41:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Right. And people need some of it desperately as a regular part of their diets. Taking salt supplements can save lives for people working in hot weather. My Dad always took salt tablets with lots of water when he worked as a carpenter in San Diego's summers. He knew others who didn't, and died.

They're are also healthy joggers and marathoners who get themselves into a medical crisis during summer runs and marathons because their lower levels of salt, do to the restriction of sufficient daily amounts of salt. Link.

They call it a "sodium" deficiency below to pull the wool over your eyes. But it is ordinary table salt they are talking about -- the stuff that has recently been heavily (and fraudulently) demonized. It's just too embarassing to mention what it really is. Chemically, common salt is sodium chloride (NaCl)

A man who died after completing the hottest London Marathon was named last night as a 22-year-old fitness instructor. David Rogers became the ninth person to die in the race's 27-year history after suffering from hyponatraemia, where high water intake results in a sodium deficiency. Mr Rogers, of Milton Keynes, was one of 70 runners taken to hospital in sweltering temperatures. Running his first marathon, he collapsed after completing the race in 3 hours and 50 minutes.

What your father understood Mooner was a body's need for extra salt, above the normal daily requirement, during periods of extreme sweat producing heat and when working hard or exercising a lot. Under those conditions the body looses considerable more salt from the excessive sweating and water. It's not enough to just replenish the lost moisture (water) from the excessive sweating but the extra salt loss must be replaced too.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  22:22:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought it was common knowledge among marathoners to eschew plain water in favor of "electrolyte replacement" drinks like Gatorade, which contain plenty of salt, to avoid hyponatremia. I would have expected such knowledge from a fitness instructor.

The saddest case of hyponatremia I've heard was about a soldier on exercises who collapsed due to the heat. Other soldiers discovered him passed out under a tree, provided water, and then went on their way. A few minutes later, still other soldiers found him, provided more water, and continued to wherever they were going. This scenario repeated over and over again until, after his death, it was estimated that he'd been given over a gallon of plain water in about an hour.

In response to that easily preventable death, the U.S. Army instituted a policy where anyone found in a condition resembling "heat stroke" would be assigned one person to monitor water intake for the duration of the crisis.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2012 :  00:59:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How does he feel about low sodium salt?

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2012 :  01:07:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Chlorine?

Go to Top of Page

Negative Entropy

12 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2012 :  06:00:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Negative Entropy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Potassic?
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2012 :  06:27:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Negative Entropy

Potassic?
If you mean potassium chloride salt, I personally would pass. Rather than lend a nice taste to food, to me it has a nasty, metallic taste. If I had to cut out all table salt, I'd not accept this substitute.

Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2012 :  01:00:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you mean potassium chloride salt, I personally would pass. Rather than lend a nice taste to food, to me it has a nasty, metallic taste. If I had to cut out all table salt, I'd not accept this substitute.

Which would be relevant if we were talking about taste. I want to know if low sodium salt has had it's life essence removed, and to what extent.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2012 :  02:19:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Which would be relevant if we were talking about taste. I want to know if low sodium salt has had it's life essence removed, and to what extent.
Two weird things in your question make even parsing it impossible to me. 1) It seems you're using the concept of "vitalism," a mystical concept that all life is separated from "mere" chemicals by having a soul-like property. That's unscientific, and I (and most scientists) utterly reject the concept as being an unevidenced holdover of primitive animism. 2) You seem to be wanting to apply vitalism to a salt, a simple and nonliving ionic compound. My mind boggles, and then refuses further computation.

Or did I grievously miss your meaning?

Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/28/2012 06:53:13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.