Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  07:31:53  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tomorrow afternoon, environmental extremists in England are planning to destory an experimental crop of wheat which could lead to lowered dependence on insecticides.
The protestors, thinking they’re attacking some Monsanto-like evil corporation, are so consumed with their hatred of GMO that they are spreading misinformation, refusing to allow scientists to even engage in the research into GMO, and rather than engaging the scientists in dialogue are threatening to just destroy their experiment. This is the worst kind of bullying, extremist, anti-science garbage out there. At least the creationists don’t show up in our labs and start spitting in our test tubes. The climate denialists might make a lot of noise but they aren’t threatening to blow up James Hansen’s computer.
The "protesters" even call their planned destruction "decontamination" to try to make this blindingly stupid act more palatable. Mark Hofnagle has more details and debunking of this idiocy at the link above. I wish I could be there to witness and document (or even try to stop) the madness.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  08:30:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Tomorrow afternoon, environmental extremists in England are planning to destory an experimental crop of wheat which could lead to lowered dependence on insecticides.
The protestors, thinking they’re attacking some Monsanto-like evil corporation, are so consumed with their hatred of GMO that they are spreading misinformation, refusing to allow scientists to even engage in the research into GMO, and rather than engaging the scientists in dialogue are threatening to just destroy their experiment. This is the worst kind of bullying, extremist, anti-science garbage out there. At least the creationists don’t show up in our labs and start spitting in our test tubes. The climate denialists might make a lot of noise but they aren’t threatening to blow up James Hansen’s computer.
The "protesters" even call their planned destruction "decontamination" to try to make this blindingly stupid act more palatable. Mark Hofnagle has more details and debunking of this idiocy at the link above. I wish I could be there to witness and document (or even try to stop) the madness.
Oh man. The group, Take the Flour Back is claiming that a the gene being used is "most similar to a cow." That's an outright lie. The gene occurs naturally in over 400 plant species. I hope they are stopped!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  09:43:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's hope Britain upholds its laws. Insect-resistant crops have great potential to improve food supplies (especially here in the Third World), and to do so while lowering both nature's and humanity's exposure to known dangers from many pesticides. Almost every "hazard" of GMO has been shown to be purely in the science-hating minds of the opponents. Let the scientists complete their studies. These destructive and lawless latter-day Luddites must be stopped!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2012 :  06:06:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Luddites and spectacularly brazen liars, it seems. On May 2nd, they sent a letter to Rothamsted Research:
We would welcome the opportunity to engage with you in a public debate over the forth-coming weeks, so that both sides of the debate have an equal chance to hear and understand each others’ perspectives. To this end we invite you to join us on neutral ground, with a neutral chairperson, for an open exchange of opinions and concerns.
It then took three tries for Rothamsted people to get a response from Take the Wheat Back, and that response was that they couldn't participate in the debate that they suggested:
Following Take the Flour Back's request, Rothamsted Research organised and offered to pay for a public discussion between their scientists and members of Take the Flour Back, in a neutral venue with a neutral chair. Unfortunately Take the Flour Back declined the invitation, informing us that they did not have the capacity to give such an event the time and effort it deserves.
Also, the "protest" should have started already (as I write this). Check Twitter hashtags #dontdestroyresearch and #geeksinthepark, on which someone wrote:
To be clear: this group isn't getting to crops. Field is far, police at Rothamsted outnumber comfortably.
That's excellent news.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2012 :  06:24:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehehe. Six days ago, a blog post was written titled "Rothamsted GM trial: cow genes on toast, anyone?" Hazel Healy must never butter her toast.

Twitter update from Sense About Science: "#taketheflourback are walking towards Rothamsted now"

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2012 :  06:28:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also see Twitter hashtag #rothamsted:
#rothamsted #gm trial protesters linking arms, singing & marching to security fence protected by police

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2012 :  06:29:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sense About Science:
#taketheflourback are stopped by police on horses after about 50 m

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2012 :  06:42:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bunch of photos.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2012 :  06:56:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More lying:
Theo from @Takeflourback says today was just to get media attention - action #fail?
That refers to Theo Simon, the leader of Take the Wheat Back. Clearly today wasn't just to get media attention. Not with a "legal briefing" on what to do if you're arrested, with a list of things you might be arrested for, including property damage and criminal trespass.

And now:
Sorry but #geeksinthepark is soon to become #geeksinthepub. Dwindling here at Rothamsted.
I LOLed at this:
We should have pro-science demonstrations where we smash the shit out of wind chime and dream catcher shops. #taketheflourback (not really)
And now:
Sounds like the Luddite vandals from @taketheflourback are giving up and going home.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2012 :  07:22:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We'll need to wait and see:
Don't get too excited. The true vandals will wait until everyone has dispersed I'd guess.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2012 :  07:37:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a bunch of jerks:
#rothamsted #GM protesters say massive police presence is 'massive waste of taxpayers money'

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2012 :  07:49:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So they've been turned back. Good news! I worry about a more stealth operation from these chuckleheads. What really gets me is how right they think they are. Like the "Yummies" that Michelle goes on about, or Greenpeace, these folks have no doubt that they are on the side of all that is right and good. And they are ignorant of the science. That's a dangerous combination.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2012 :  09:02:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rothamsted update: Protest remains peaceful

Kate Bell, from the campaign group, said: “We wanted to do the responsible thing and remove the threat of GM contamination, sadly it wasn’t possible to do that effectively today. However, we stand arm in arm with farmers and growers from around the world, who are prepared to risk their freedom to stop the imposition of GM crops.”

The responsible thing is to destroy research, thwart science, lie about stuff like "synthetic cow genes" and fear mongering in general. I bet they picnicked on gluten free sandwiches.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2012 :  09:39:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Requiring labeling would put an end to it once and for all. I hope that day is coming. I for one don't want to eat any plant that has been altered so it produces it's own insecticides so it doesn't have to be applied when needed. Anyone who feels GMO's are can buy the all the GMO products they want just by reading the label, once they require it and those who don't can avoid it the same way. Let the consumer decide, what's wrong with that?

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2012 :  10:10:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Requiring labeling would put an end to it once and for all. I hope that day is coming. I for one don't want to eat any plant that has been altered so it produces it's own insecticides so it doesn't have to be applied when needed. Anyone who feels GMO's are can buy the all the GMO products they want just by reading the label, once they require it and those who don't can avoid it the same way. Let the consumer decide, what's wrong with that?
It's not just about labeling. The people who want to destroy these crops don't want the science to proceed at all.

As for labeling, what does it really tell us? There is no way that just because something is labeled GM that it says something about the foods safety. Not that I'm against labeling. But it only feeds the crazies and by even doing it, confirms their delusions. But whatever.

That said, there are risks to GM experimentation. There are risks of accidental crossbreeding and a possible spread into stable ecological systems. Other concerns exist. But then, that's science for you. As I understand it, this experiment was publicly funded (not the evil Monsanto that the critics love to harp on about) and very controlled.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2012 :  05:51:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Couldn't get to the plants? Then silence the scientists! GM crop-trial website taken down by cyber-attack.
"Whoever conducted this malicious attack, please respect our wish to give public-funded science information to the public," said Rothamsted's official twitter feed this morning.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.77 seconds.