Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2012 :  12:23:32  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thank Matt Henkel for bringing this to my attention.

http://www.christiansagainstnike.com

A diatribe of black-and-red-and-bold-font crazy by Charles W. Hubbard who is against Nike because it's named after a pagan goddess. He wants Christians to buy from Love Christian Wear instead, a company that he owns. Love...oh the irony.

I emailed Mr. Hubbard and asked if he knew that Easter was named after a pagan goddess. I await his reply if any.

Edited by - ThorGoLucky on 05/30/2012 12:27:25

Baxter
Skeptic Friend

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2012 :  12:41:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Baxter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gosh, that's one of the stupidest things I've seen in a long time. Some of the Independent Fundamentalist Baptists in my area would probably buy into it.

"We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me." ~from Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

"We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know." ~Robert G. Ingersoll
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2012 :  18:10:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised that Freaky Fred and his tour of hate at the Westboro Baptist Church aren't all over this.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2012 :  21:38:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate it when Christians create much better parodies of themselves than I can hope to. There should be a law. I mean, in addition to Poes's Law.

I didn't see a picture of their Jesus footwear. Wouldn't these be sandals, probably with a spike-hole through them?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  00:03:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ja Mooner, it's kinda like that Unicorn Healing Practitioner website, but it's acrimonious. Here is Mr. Hubbard's response to my email as to if he knew that Easter was named after a pagan goddess:

Thanks for sharing.

I was not aware of that...
and will look into that more.

I am called to elevate awareness
about the company that Satan uses
to dishonor God around the world...
and it will probably cause us to
open our eyes to other things
like you just mentioned.

God bless.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  00:09:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
at least he's consistent.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  02:06:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

at least he's consistent.
One of the last epitaphs I would want on my headstone would be "He was consistent".

Like any greedy (Christianist or otherwise) huckster bent upon selling questionable goods, this guy's willing to metaphorically sacrifice his own children to make the competition look bad. See how he throws his coreligionist Tebow under the bus by falsely accusing him of being a Pagan worshiper who kneels in homage to the goddess Nike. The very idea would befuddle the poor simpleton Tebow.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/31/2012 02:11:19
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  04:37:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, now that you've got his ear (ahem) Thor, you should hit him up with a list of other things that pay casual tribute to pagan deities. Most obviously, the U.S. military for their Nike missiles and other god-named equipment.

Venus razors.
Mars bars.
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
Ajax.
January, March, May and possibly June.
Atlases.
Atlas Van Lines.
NASA (Apollo program, etc).
The Apollo theater.
Saturn cars.
FTD (the flower folks, for using Hermes' wings in their logo).
Mercury Records.
Mercury cars.
Mercury thermometers, sphygmomanometers and barometers.
The Olympics.
Orion Pictures.
All Vulcanized rubber products.
Athens, Georgia (really, there are far too many places named after gods to list, but he should definitely avoid going to any other nearby planet).
Any cereal.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  04:42:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Disney (for Pluto, etc.)

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  05:05:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you forgot saturday.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  05:27:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

you forgot saturday.
In fact, in English, four days of the week are named for Germanic gods (Tiw's-day, Wodin's-day, Thor's-day and Freya's-day). Sunday and Monday are named for celestial bodies (the Sun and the Moon), and Saturday is named for the Roman god Saturn as well as his planet.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  06:41:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Well, now that you've got his ear (ahem) Thor, you should hit him up with a list of other things that pay casual tribute to pagan deities. Most obviously, the U.S. military for their Nike missiles and other god-named equipment.

Venus razors.
Mars bars.
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
Ajax.
January, March, May and possibly June.
Atlases.
Atlas Van Lines.
NASA (Apollo program, etc).
The Apollo theater.
Saturn cars.
FTD (the flower folks, for using Hermes' wings in their logo).
Mercury Records.
Mercury cars.
Mercury thermometers, sphygmomanometers and barometers.
The Olympics.
Orion Pictures.
All Vulcanized rubber products.
Athens, Georgia (really, there are far too many places named after gods to list, but he should definitely avoid going to any other nearby planet).
Any cereal.

Why stop there?

Soccer (futbal) star Pele (after the Hawaiian volcano goddess of the same name)
The word "echo"
Quite a few DSM-IV maladies (narcisism, etc)
Excaliber gentleman's club in Chicago
Every named planet, dwarf planet, and moon. (our own moon is Luna, a moon goddess)
Ra-men noodles (Egyptian)
Spaghetti (Pastafarianism)

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  07:34:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And when the Old Testament tells of Moses climbing Mount Sinai to commune with his god, it's interesting to note that Sinai apparently is the "mountain of Sin," Sin being god of the moon in Mesopotamian mythology. And Wiki says. . .
According to the researchers of the Documentary hypothesis, the name "Sinai" is only used in the Torah by the Jahwist and Priestly source, whereas Horeb is only used by the Elohist and Deuteronomist.
. . . which could quite plausibly indicate competing and parallel Moon-God and Sun-God (Sin and Horeb) cults in early Hebrew prehistory, cults that were ultimately unified into Yahweh.

So no pagan Sinai Shoes, or horrid Horeb Sneakers, fergawdssake!

Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/31/2012 07:38:32
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  09:11:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

you forgot saturday.
According to Wikipedia, the etymology of 'saturday' stems from words for 'sabbath,' and it is not a reference to Saturn.

Whoops, read that wrong. Nevermind.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  09:21:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Why stop there?
'Cause I ran out of time.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  10:00:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Why stop there?
'Cause I ran out of time.

Feh. Excuses.

Next you'll try to convince me you have a life or a job or somethin like that.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.