Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2012 :  03:17:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

SST, Super-String "Theory", without the Higgs SST is in trouble. Also We will never be able to Fold-Space from Ix.

Edit: Im just messing around, that may not be clear. SST would love the lack of Higgs, though it would only give them more of nothing to go on.

Dune reference for the win.
I second that.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2012 :  10:42:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner
Do not fear the mighty Higgs. The Higgs is our friend!

But he's such a boson, no?
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  08:04:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

"Boson"? I thought they were looking for a rare bison.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  09:12:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this has floated around here, yet, but this is a video that explains (or, tries to) the Higgs a bit more...
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  09:47:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

"Boson"? I thought they were looking for a rare bison.

One in 10 million, the great white buffalo! born 3 days ago... will not be used for meat.

I bet the Nuge would love to have a LHC in his endangered albino animal arsenal.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  10:56:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A White Buffalo is to North American Indians as a Comet was to Europeans centuries ago. Expect change. What kind?

I'd say,,, 75 cents for a dollar.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  13:32:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

I don't know if this has floated around here, yet, but this is a video that explains (or, tries to) the Higgs a bit more...
Thanks!

Okay, I get it now, The Higgs is a cartoon boson, in particular, one that grants mass and gravity. The cartoon world seems to have many more Higgs bosons than does our world. This explains why Wile E. Coyote can run off a cliff and just end up standing there in the air until he observes the situation, which forces a collapse of the Higgs' wave function and makes it finally get around to granting him mass.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/03/2012 14:27:14
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  01:47:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CNN now has this:

At the start of a big week for the Higgs boson, the most sought-after particle in all of physics, scientists in Illinois said Monday that they had crept closer to proving that the particle exists but had been unable to reach a definitive conclusion.

The scientists outlined their final analysis based on more than 10 years of research and 500 trillion particle collisions using the U.S. Department of Energy's Fermilab Tevatron collider near Batavia, Illinois, whose budgetary woes shut it down last year.

Their announcement came two days before researchers at the Large Hadron Collider under the Alps are due to unveil their latest results at an eagerly awaited seminar at the CERN particle physics laboratory in Geneva, Switzerland.

"Our data strongly point toward the existence of the Higgs boson," Rob Roser, a spokesman for one of two independent experiments at the Tevatron, said in a statement. "But it will take results from the experiments at the Large Hadron Collider in Europe to establish a discovery."

Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  02:02:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The CMS team claimed that by combining two of its data sets, they had attained a confidence level just at the "five-sigma" point - about a one-in-3.5 million chance that the signal they see would appear if there were no Higgs particle.

However, a full combination of the CMS data brings that number just back to 4.9 sigma - a one-in-2 million chance.

Joe Incandela, spokesman for CMS, was unequivocal.

"The results are preliminary but the five-sigma signal at around 125 GeV we're seeing is dramatic. This is indeed a new particle," he told the Geneva meeting.

Fabiola Gianotti, spokeswoman for the Atlas experiment, announced even more irrefutable results.

"We observe in our data clear signs of a new particle, at the level of five sigma, in the mass region around 126 GeV," she said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-18702455

They found something. Now they have to prove it's the Higgs.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  02:09:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-18702455

They found something. Now they have to prove it's the Higgs.
My suspicions about the nature of the CERN announcement were confirmed.

Yup, that's more encouraging, especially coming from CERN itself. And note that the link I gave in a post just above was not an announcement from CERN.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/04/2012 02:22:05
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  04:42:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's an announcement video from a CERN scientist.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  05:14:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lawrence Krauss has written this article on the CERN discovery at Slate:
Who would have believed it? Every now and then theoretical speculation anticipates experimental observation in physics. It doesn’t happen often, in spite of the romantic notion of theorists sitting in their rooms alone at night thinking great thoughts. Nature usually surprises us. But today, two separate experiments at the Large Hadron Collider of the European Center for Nuclear Research (CERN) in Geneva reported convincing evidence for the long sought-after “Higgs” particle, first proposed to exist almost 50 years ago and at the heart of the “standard model” of elementary particle physics—the theoretical formalism that describes three of the four known forces in nature, and which to date agrees with every experimental observation done to date.

. . .

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  06:57:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about that? I'm excited. It's another new particle, confirmed. They're positive they got something that could be, that could be the Higgs and if not it's very close. I just got up so it may not show how much but I am excited about this, possibly as much as they are.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  04:58:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha! I was right about the Higgs Bison all along!

Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  11:35:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ha! I was right about the Higgs Bison all along!

Adorable.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.