Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  02:54:10  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This documented Venn Diagram from Upworthy is worth a moment of consideration, I think. I've never seen such a broad array of inconsistency, even in a politician. Romney truly seems to want to be everything to everybody.

It's backfiring:

(Sorry, my version is a bit hard to read, as I had to reduce it to 700 pixels across. The original at the link above is a little bit clearer.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  07:33:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  07:41:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Nice!
I thought that might attract the attention of the Vennmeister.

Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  11:52:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about this?

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  12:34:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by podcat

How about this?
Venncredible.

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  13:52:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't realize that there was an actual term for this sort of graphic representation of things, so that's good to know.

This Venn diagram (I assume it's a capital V?) has been making the rounds on Facebook, and the whole situation is just amazing to me.

On the one hand, I always hated the whole "flip-flopper" critique because I know that over time opinions and beliefs can change. Introduce me to new data, or subject me to new experiences, and I may realize that my stance on X was incorrect. Indeed, I'd prefer that more politicians were open to such things (rather than holding onto a political position because some lobbyist is funneling them loads of cash).

Romney, though, clearly does just spout off whatever he feels is most advantageous for a given time. The health care situation is an incredible example. The current Affordable Healthcare Act is more or less what the right espoused in the Clinton administration, and what Romney passed as governor of MA (where it's been quite popular). And NOW he says that the plan won't work? It's nuts.

More nuts, though, is how this is all covered by our media. Remember how John Kerry was portrayed as a "flip-flopper"? This, even though his major "flip-flop" ("I was before it before I was against it") was entirely understandable. (He supported a bill to fund the war in Iraq with tax increases. When the tax increase measures were struck from the bill, he was against it. It's a perfectly logical position to take.) And now, Romney can more or less change his tune on any old policy without having to explain it, and it's perfectly fine with major media sources.

It's tempting to blame the Democratic media people on this, but I feel like they've done what should be done, and certainly what Bush did in 2004. The only difference is that since the accusation is against Romney, it just isn't sticking.

Anyhow who thinks that the mainstream media as a whole has some huge liberal bias lives in a very sad bubble indeed.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  15:46:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The sad thing is these ads can possibly work on a lot of people because most are clueless on the fine points of a Venn diagram. I heard something interesting today pertaining to what voters think. Speaking of people in a bubble.
A poll reported on NPR today found most people polled believed that the supreme court ruled against Obama care, where it was a clear victory. I wonder where they got that notion from?
And
Most of those polled also believe Obama care is bad for them. I wonder where they got that notion from? From the liberal media? If not where is their information going.
I would be interested to know how many of those polled are part of the 50 million that are said to be uninsured. I hope not more than is bad for them.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  18:42:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote

How about this?
Enjoyed this comment.

Wouldn't a more accurate Venn Diagram be... for example... one showing what "ObamaCare" and "RomneyCare" have in common?

Maybe not, since it would just be one giant purple dot.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  20:41:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The average voter isn't going to care that Romney's ads don't properly use the Venn diagram.

The Democrats have totally failed at clearly impressing on the public how much the stimulus actually helped the country. There are tons of people out there whose lives were enhanced and protected by stimulus money but who don't even know it. It isn't enough to do good. You gotta brag about it.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  00:03:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Venn and the Voter:

Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  14:06:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote

How about this?

lol

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  14:19:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

The Venn and the Voter:

Forgive me, but this is a Venn diagram fail also!

The green circle can't be the ones who vote based on Venn diagrams because you'd have nonvoters doing it, so that can't be it.

If the red-blue overlap is the people who base their vote on Venn diagram usage, then all voters who both vote and understand Venn diagrams vote on this basis!

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  14:25:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli

Forgive me, but this is a Venn diagram fail also!

The green circle can't be the ones who vote based on Venn diagrams because you'd have nonvoters doing it, so that can't be it.
Actually, it's "People whose voting is based on Venn diagrams," so people who choose to not vote because of a Venn diagram belong in the set.
If the red-blue overlap is the people who base their vote on Venn diagram usage, then all voters who both vote and understand Venn diagrams vote on this basis!
Some people will base their voting on Venn Diagrams without understanding them.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  14:37:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Some people will base their voting on Venn Diagrams without understanding them.

But where are the people who vote, understand Venn diagrams, and don't vote on this basis? People who understand Venn diagrams are blue, voters are red. These two only overlap in the dark green.

People whose voting is based on Venn diagrams can't take up the whole overlapping of these two.

-Giordano Bruno

-Stephen Hawking

-Albert Camus
Edited by - Machi4velli on 07/10/2012 14:43:53
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  16:19:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

But where are the people who vote, understand Venn diagrams, and don't vote on this basis? People who understand Venn diagrams are blue, voters are red. These two only overlap in the dark green.

People whose voting is based on Venn diagrams can't take up the whole overlapping of these two.
Ah, I see. Yes, the green circle should be shifted upwards by one radius (or so).

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  19:29:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey! How'd I get dragged into this?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.