Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  08:53:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave:
Don't know why you'd hate to state the truth.

Naaa. Just clumsy writing. :P

I mentioned the Peter Sprigg thing. I was still writing after I hit enter. Oh well.

And yes, the FRC is despicable. You'll get no argument from me about that. I'm just trying to sort out the facts.

By the way, where on facebook can I find your post?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  09:12:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

And yes, the FRC is despicable. You'll get no argument from me about that. I'm just trying to sort out the facts.
And I want to assure you that I applaud that, while at the same time I don't want the larger point to get lost.
By the way, where on facebook can I find your post?
Linky. Don't know if you'll be able to see it, though. I posted a correction there, too.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  09:32:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope. Couldn't see it. Oh well... But I just used the FRC to make the same point on another of my friends page. He's an orthodox Jew and they tend to be very conservative, much like fundamentalist Christians. Only the don't proselytize, and they tend to be a little more accepting of science.

In fact this person is not for making same sex marriage illegal. He just doesn't approve of it for religious reasons.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  09:58:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FRC claims they weren't trying to reject the condemnation of Uganda. They say they were only lobbying to change the language, albeit still not a way I'd agree with, they didn't want it to seem as if they supported homosexuality as a right or a natural thing, but were still greatly opposed executing them.

It's probably not a point we can prove or disprove unless someone in the conversations with the lobbyists revealed it, and as far as I know, they haven't. I think all that is known is that they spent (I think) $25,000 to lobby for something related to the bill.

We can still suppose that's what they did, but we have to admit there's some guesswork unless there's some more I don't know about.

Edit: well if I read the thread more closely I would have realized this was already covered

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Edited by - Machi4velli on 08/07/2012 03:07:24
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  22:05:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli

Edit: well if I read the thread more closely I would have realized this was already covered
Thanks for this. I was wondering what the dead horse did to deserve another beating.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2012 :  10:26:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Barton Should Not Be Copied, Only Scorned.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2012 :  06:32:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tried the whole Equal Criticism thing in the "Mr. Paul Aints" thread, not one of you backed me up because 'one of the owners was cool with it'. So I gave that crap up. I only want to hear the opinions I already have now, everything else be damned!

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 08/14/2012 06:33:52
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2012 :  08:33:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

I tried the whole Equal Criticism thing in the "Mr. Paul Aints" thread, not one of you backed me up because 'one of the owners was cool with it'. So I gave that crap up. I only want to hear the opinions I already have now, everything else be damned!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2012 :  10:59:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

I tried the whole Equal Criticism thing in the "Mr. Paul Aints" thread, not one of you backed me up because 'one of the owners was cool with it'.
Well, I still don't get why you had a problem with it.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2012 :  05:45:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No matter how vile I think the FRC's position is, violence of any sort is completely, unequivocally unacceptable.

(I'm guessing the shooter is going to turn out to be left-leaning, at least.)

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2012 :  06:46:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

No matter how vile I think the FRC's position is, violence of any sort is completely, unequivocally unacceptable.

(I'm guessing the shooter is going to turn out to be left-leaning, at least.)
Floyd Lee Corkins II was the alleged shooter. Corkins was a volunteer at DC Center for the LGBT Community. That group has soundly, and properly, renounced his actions.

This was crazy, in so many ways. Corkins has just injured another human being, destroyed his own life, and has forced the LGBT community and their supporters to take a defensive posture. Stupid asshole.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/16/2012 07:00:53
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2012 :  06:51:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's another example of a supposed liberal going too far. Original story here.

As one might imagine, it gives them the opportunity to paint all liberals with the same brush:

I'd hate getting stuck in his class.

Adam Smith loves getting something for free while chewing out defenseless girls at the same time, and never allowing the girl to respond; typical liberal progressive

I'll just say this: that guy was an idiot: even despite everything he said and did if he went to that place and was a customer there, he's giving them more money, lot less as he claims.

If you're going to be a jerk, at least be a smart one. Also note that the guy got fired over how he acted.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2012 :  07:32:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

I'll just say this: that guy was an idiot: even despite everything he said and did if he went to that place and was a customer there, he's giving them more money, lot less as he claims.
All he got at the drive-through was a free cup of water.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2012 :  09:23:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The more extreme that left and right wings go, they curve around and connect:

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2012 :  11:20:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Here's another example of a supposed liberal going too far. Original story here.

As one might imagine, it gives them the opportunity to paint all liberals with the same brush:

That guy got slammed seriously by Jon Stewart at The Daily Show.
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-august-7-2012/fast-feud-nation---chik-fil-a---social-media

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.