Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  08:55:02  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is where I'll be posting updates from Vegas if I can get everything working. I'm taking an old netbook and I need a full sized keyboard because my fingers will not do small. I'll have to purchase a wifi are hard wired connection. And the book is a bit glitchy. Hopefully all well go as planned and you will be hearing from me from an about TAM.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  09:48:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good luck on Internet access, Kil! Safe travels, too.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  10:55:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Thanks! I just learned that it's 12.99 a day to have it in the room. But there are areas that are free. So what I might do is compose in the room and copy and paste what I write to the thread in one of the free areas. We'll see.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  12:28:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Thanks! I just learned that it's 12.99 a day to have it in the room. But there are areas that are free. So what I might do is compose in the room and copy and paste what I write to the thread in one of the free areas. We'll see.
That extra step, I've found, is often good for producing better thought-about and edited final copy.

Enjoy!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  13:31:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Originally posted by Kil

That extra step, I've found, is often good for producing better thought-about and edited final copy.

Enjoy!
Yeah. I suppose. But what a hassel. I paid for it in previous years. But I'm more strapped this year and I forgot what the price is. Oh... And I don't really know how a pc works. That's going to be a challenge too, I think.

I still have a couple of hours to fret. I have my mothers packing gene. That is, I can't seem to pack lite. But I'm mostly done with that part. What I know is that I will never get this suitcase aboard as a carry on. And that probably means missing the 6:30 shuttle to the hotel. And the next one isn't until 8:00. If I can find someone to share a cab, I will do that.

Oh yeah. Another issue might be getting the disposable E-cigarettes aboard. I called TSA and you can't actually talk to a human. No shit. No matter what number I pressed I was advised to look online. Why even have a fucking phone number? And E-cigarettes aren't mentioned on their site. I googled the question and the advice was to put them in my luggage and take them in my carry on. Two different opinions from two different blogs. Sigh...

I'm scheduled to do registration tomorrow between noon and five. So it's kind of a work day for me. But you know... They gave me a grant, again, and I feel it's only fair to give something back, again. It's also a good way to meet people. I'm checking tickets for the Carlin show. George Carlin's daughter talks about her dad. I'll be comped for that show, because I have to check tickets for people who are late. I requested not to have Paul Provenza's show again. I took tickets for that one last year, and I thought his show sucked. Not a nice thing to say I guess, considering it was free for me. Oh well...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  02:48:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm currently on a relatives meeting in Finland, but I gleaned from the news that you have free-ranging chimps running around down-town Las Vegas. What's up with that? And, have you met them?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  04:23:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

I'm currently on a relatives meeting in Finland, but I gleaned from the news that you have free-ranging chimps running around down-town Las Vegas. What's up with that? And, have you met them?
One was shot deal by the cops, the other captured.

Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  19:23:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil wants to post more stuff but is having technical difficulties.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  21:46:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

Come on, Thor, you have to release his chains at least once a day. "Lemme loose!" is the safeword.

Go to Top of Page

froydnslp

22 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2012 :  22:32:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send froydnslp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spoke with Kil. He's alive and well. Mentioned something about wondering around the hotel looking for his room with some wild turkeys, so all's good. He's kept notes so I am sure we will all be hearing something soon. Soonish. Sometime by Friday.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  07:22:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by froydnslp

Spoke with Kil. He's alive and well. Mentioned something about wondering around the hotel looking for his room with some wild turkeys, so all's good. He's kept notes so I am sure we will all be hearing something soon. Soonish. Sometime by Friday.
Thanks, froydnslp! It's good to keep hearing rumors of Kil.

Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  17:30:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Come on, Thor, you have to release his chains at least once a day. "Lemme loose!" is the safeword.

My safe words are any supreme court justice.

Kil should be posting soonly. His spellchecker stopped working, so read fonetticlee.

I learned much, gathered many business cards, and back logged weeks of updates for debunkatron.com

I'm tickled that some folks recognized me as the Bulk Homeopathy guy.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  19:10:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So. I had some problems with my computer. There were times I felt like just putting it on the floor and stomping on it. I wrote up the first couple of days, and while writing some more, the screen went black. My profile disappeared, and everything I had written that night (I think it was Friday) was gone because I hadn't hit save yet. It took a call to my nephew to retrieve what I still had. Then the spell checker stopped working. I reloaded the programe (open office) but that didn't help. By Saturday evening, I gave up on the miserable little thing.

What I'm going to do now is to try to retrieve what I have, and then add to it. It was an eventful TAM. I hope I can do this thread some justice, but it's going to take a lot more work for me to do that than it should have had to. So sorry everyone. Shit happens...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  23:15:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

My safe words are any supreme court justice.
"Ginz-burrrrghhh!"

Kil should be posting soonly. His spellchecker stopped working, so read fonetticlee.

I learned much, gathered many business cards, and back logged weeks of updates for debunkatron.com

I'm tickled that some folks recognized me as the Bulk Homeopathy guy.
Is that because you appear very bulky, or because you look vanishingly thin?

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  23:18:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

So. I had some problems with my computer. There were times I felt like just putting it on the floor and stomping on it. I wrote up the first couple of days, and while writing some more, the screen went black. My profile disappeared, and everything I had written that night (I think it was Friday) was gone because I hadn't hit save yet. It took a call to my nephew to retrieve what I still had. Then the spell checker stopped working. I reloaded the programe (open office) but that didn't help. By Saturday evening, I gave up on the miserable little thing.

What I'm going to do now is to try to retrieve what I have, and then add to it. It was an eventful TAM. I hope I can do this thread some justice, but it's going to take a lot more work for me to do that than it should have had to. So sorry everyone. Shit happens...
Man, that's a bummer! Sorry you were drinking and gambling nonstop off the Innerwebz the whole time, Kil!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  23:32:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-- Welp. I got to the airport in plenty of time and the flight is delayed. What they told me is that they’re looking for another plane because there was a mechanical failure on the one that was supposed to be ours. Half hour to who knows when they find one? I was supposed to be at a meeting of volunteers in DJ's room at 8:00. That's not going to happen. So here I
sit, having downed a basic cheeseburger and diet coke for more money than you want to know. I hope they find a plane soon. I can eat cheaper at the South Point. No shit!

Okay. The flight was an hour late. I was lucky enough to run into a fellow TAMer and we shared a cab to the South Point. There I met Thor at the Del Mar Lounge. After a lot of meet and great, and dropping my bags off in our room, we went for dinner at a very reasonably priced hamburger joint here in the hotel.

Have I mentioned the heat? At 7 pm here in Vegas it was still 118 degrees outside. It was just amazingly hot. Nice weather in the hotel, though.

After we ate, there was a drinking skeptically affair at the Del Mar. We partied there for a while. Lots of old faces and hugs and beers and just about what you would expect. Thor left earlier than I did. I hung for a while. It's funny how familiar these mostly virtual people have become.

Thursday morning meant a breakfast at a place that was featured on “Man vs. Food.” A little field trip some of us took for the ultimate breakfast. (Thor had a workshop at nine and didn't go to this.) The Hash House A Go Go serves up truly bizarre breakfast creations that somehow work. No one goes away hungry.

Back.

Just helped a fellow get registered for TAM and had a short talk with DJ about a meeting we are supposed to attend. (Volunteers.) They aren't kidding. (My guess is this has something to do with you know what, if you have been following the controversy at all.)

I did registration for most of the afternoon. At around three a few of us were sent up to DJ's suite for our security briefing. I’m not going to say much about that now, but I will say this. I am satisfied with the measures that have been taken to improve security even if
they haven't been publicly spelled out. And I don't want to have that debate in this thread.

Thor and a few of us had dinner over at the buffet. He scored some free dinner passes so there is really no reason for me to complain about the quality of the food. We did get to sit down and eat at our leisure, without the cacophony that is ever present at the Del Mar. And a good time was had by all.

Eventually I made my way over to the reception, which is the official start of TAM. It's clear that there are less people here at this one that last year, but really, that's a good thing from a logistics point of view. It was, for example, easy to talk to people without yelling
or moving into the hall. Another thing. If there really is a smaller percentage of women here this year, I can't tell. Women seem to be well represented. Go figure.

Anyhow, I did the reception and then it was back to the Del Mar for more hanging out. It's funny how many people I actually know here from previous TAMs and from facebook. Coming here is a bit like visiting old friends.

Friday was the first full day of TAM. The talks were mostly good. Shermer was pushing a book, which is par. My favorite speakers were the last three. Stuart Firestein's talk on The Values of Science Ignorance, Uncertainty and Doubt was excellent. He was followed by
Bruce Hood's The Self Illusion - How Your Brain Creates You. Than came the keynote by Carol Tavris, A Skeptical Look at Pseudoscience. She focused on neuroimaging and how it's misused in studies and in media reports. It was a great talk.

I should probably mention that the breakfast part of the deal has been greatly improved on since those earlier days at TAM. It used to be just sweet rolls and coffee. Now there are bagels and other treats. Yogurt, breakfast cereal and so on. Lunches have always been great. No changes there. The food is excellent.

For dinner we opted for the Deli. Good stuff. Mile high pastrami (I'm sure this is something you want to know about) at a very reasonable price.

It has just occurred to me that I have spent an inordinate amount of whatever this is, talking about food. But see, so much of TAM is socializing, and much of that socializing is done over food or beer. So now you know!

I sat around for a while after dinner, lost one dollar to the slots and made it back, and then it was time to get up to Penn's Bacon and Doughnut party. (More food, if you can call it that.) Earlier, Skeptic Scott, who leads the volunteer program, asked me if I would sell t-shirts for that one. So I asked, “Isn't that party a nearly all night party?” I had to decline on survival grounds.

Like last year, the party was loud, fun and more than I could take for very long. I stuck it out for about half an hour. I did get photos of the bacon and doughnuts. Eventually, when I get done writing this thing, I’ll add some photos, including photos of bacon and doughnuts. As Penn said many times, “Bring on the stupid!”

Saturday started slow. Well... not too slow. The talk’s began with Ben Radford doing a bit on doomsday predictions including the Mayan calendar thing. There was a speaker and a panel that I had no interest in after Radford’s presentation. The Jamy Ian Swiss kicked some ass. In part he went off on what skepticism is and his absolute disgust that
Bill Maher was given an award by the Dawkins organization. I will paraphrase here because I can’t remember his exact words, but I think he said that Mahar can kiss his ass.”What offended him is that the Dawkins organization is supposed to be rooted in skepticism. It was a fiery talk and one in which I found much agreement with in terms of scope. (My guess is that it's being attacked in some quarters. I wouldn't be surprised.) Pamela Gay’s talk was also noteworthy and again, probably made it out into the blogosphere almost instantly. We learned from Steven Novella and a few other speakers that our minds are not to be trusted. And Lawrence Krauss made the important point that yes, something really can come from nothing, contrary to what most people think. Our universe, for example.

Now don’t get me wrong. There were many great talks. And some, well… I’m mentioning the talks that made my day, or days, as the case may be.

[So… It was right about here that my computer gave up the ghost. I’ll fill in over the next few days. In fact, I’ll try my best to get it done tomorrow, though I do have other things to do. I’m starting to wonder if this is really a Kil Report. It might be. We’ll see what happens.]

In the big picture, find the horses ass.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.