Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  03:50:25  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard A. Muller, long a scientific skeptic of man-made global warming, has changed his mind, after completing a Koch-funded study. From the New York Times op-ed page:
CALL me a converted skeptic. Three years ago I identified problems in previous climate studies that, in my mind, threw doubt on the very existence of global warming. Last year, following an intensive research effort involving a dozen scientists, I concluded that global warming was real and that the prior estimates of the rate of warming were correct. I’m now going a step further: Humans are almost entirely the cause.

My total turnaround, in such a short time, is the result of careful and objective analysis by the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature project, which I founded with my daughter Elizabeth. Our results show that the average temperature of the earth’s land has risen by two and a half degrees Fahrenheit over the past 250 years, including an increase of one and a half degrees over the most recent 50 years. Moreover, it appears likely that essentially all of this increase results from the human emission of greenhouse gases.

. . .
A graph from Richard Dawkins.net (Muller's data is labeled "Berkeley"):

This should be the final nail in the coffin for any scientific AGW denialism.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/29/2012 03:51:12

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  07:36:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner
Yeah. And it sure didn't help when the GOP had him testify before congress thinking that he would support their denial and he pulled the rug out from under them. Muller is an honest scientist. Something they didn't count on.

But denial persists:

Be skeptical of Skeptic’s skepticism of skeptics

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  08:38:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Yeah. And it sure didn't help when the GOP had him testify before congress thinking that he would support their denial and he pulled the rug out from under them. Muller is an honest scientist. Something they didn't count on.

But denial persists:

Be skeptical of Skeptic’s skepticism of skeptics
Well, yeah, Monckton. The very model of a modern, inbred British upper-class twit.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  09:28:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The end of scientific doubt of climate change should have been long ago. We should have entered a serious and deliberative "what are we going to do about it" phase back in the 1990s.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  10:18:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

The end of scientific doubt of climate change should have been long ago. We should have entered a serious and deliberative "what are we going to do about it" phase back in the 1990s.
Right! I recall reading a convincing argument for AGW by fossil fuels back around the end of the 1950's. Since we did essentially nothing, now most of humanity will suffer enormously, even if every ameliorative step is taken immediately and from now on (a most unlikely event).

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  10:37:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interestingly, or not, I'm having a little debate with BJ Krammer over what counts as criteria for a skeptic to come to a conclusion about climate change. Go figure.

https://www.facebook.com/RedSeaRoadkill/posts/386428888091203?notif_t=share_reply

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  10:49:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Interestingly, or not, I'm having a little debate with BJ Krammer over what counts as criteria for a skeptic to come to a conclusion about climate change. Go figure.

https://www.facebook.com/RedSeaRoadkill/posts/386428888091203?notif_t=share_reply
Good for you, Kil! Though I believe the scientific fight over AGW is effectively over, the political fight has barely begun.

What decided doubter Richard A. Muller to change his opinion were the criteria of good science and undeniable data. You might want to mention that data to Kramer.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  10:53:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might want to mention that data to Kramer.
I have.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  10:55:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

I have.
Great. By the way, that link you gave isn't working for me. Could you check it, please?

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  11:24:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Kil

I have.
Great. By the way, that link you gave isn't working for me. Could you check it, please?
Did you log into facebook? And depending on BJ's privacy settings, it might not be available to you. I don't know. It might not be available to me either after he reads my last post.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  12:08:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The link doesn't work for me either...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  18:07:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I can see https://www.facebook.com/RedSeaRoadkill/ but not https://www.facebook.com/RedSeaRoadkill/posts/ or anything further on.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  11:26:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Denial springs eternal.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  01:33:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I heard he also just got a new ferrari.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  04:17:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

I heard he also just got a new ferrari.
Trolling again, are we?

Yeah, like climate change scientists could out-bribe the Kochs even if they wanted to.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  04:31:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Weather Underground's map, which I use for animated tracking of typhoons here in the Philippines, I just now noticed this link, titled "Feeling Skeptical?" They show a lot of good reasons to believe that AGW is indeed occurring.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.