Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  19:00:31  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  19:16:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen that before, but it's great. Honestly, the reasons against gay marriage are so transparently absurd that you can tell anyone who advocates them has never thought it through.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  19:26:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

I've seen that before, but it's great. Honestly, the reasons against gay marriage are so transparently absurd that you can tell anyone who advocates them has never thought it through.

Anyone but theists who really can't think for thermselves, thus by default don't think for themselves. Great troll job offc. Grow up.

Edit: for some reason a good bit of my post didn't make it so
I corrected it.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Edited by - sailingsoul on 07/12/2012 19:57:31
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  19:31:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Anyone but theists who really can't thus by default don't think for themselves. Great troll job offc. Grow up.

huh?

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  19:35:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
11. Biblical marriages like Solomon's or David's only ever had one man involved, and were so wildly successful they need to be emulated nation- and world-wide.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  19:58:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Anyone but theists who really can't thus by default don't think for themselves. Great troll job offc. Grow up.

huh?
I corrected the part that didn't get posted. Reread.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  22:23:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Old or new, that thing's a classic parody. I hadn't seen it so thanks for posting it, OffC. In an inverse way, it has many good points. Sometimes that's the best way to make a point.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  10:26:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the part that's confusing everyone is why you called On Fire for Christ's posts a "troll job" and then told him to grow up. It seemed bizarrely hostile. Did you only react to the title and not actually read the reasons? They're intentionally self-refuting, making it a pro gay marriage post. Unless you disagree with gay marriage, I don't ken your motives.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  12:39:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I think the part that's confusing everyone is why you called On Fire for Christ's posts a "troll job" and then told him to grow up. It seemed bizarrely hostile. Did you only react to the title and not actually read the reasons? They're intentionally self-refuting, making it a pro gay marriage post. Unless you disagree with gay marriage, I don't ken your motives.
I suspect the Poe fooled ss. Sometimes it does that to me, too.

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  13:33:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner
I'm not certain myself if On Fire is legitimately a Christian or not (although I tend to think he is), but I'm not sure that's relevant in this instance. It is possible to be a Christian and support gay marriage, which this post clearly does. So how is it "trolling?" Sorry if I'm being dense, I just don't get it.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  13:48:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by HalfMooner
I'm not certain myself if On Fire is legitimately a Christian or not (although I tend to think he is), but I'm not sure that's relevant in this instance. It is possible to be a Christian and support gay marriage, which this post clearly does. So how is it "trolling?" Sorry if I'm being dense, I just don't get it.
No, you're right. In this case I think ss just mistakenly thought OffC's post was meant literally as a condemnation of same-sex marriage. I sometimes get in a very literal frame of mind, myself. Its almost as bad as being caught in a metaphysical mind set. I've also gone off on OffC when it was undeserved, to my regret. It was because I got angry right off the bat, and then didn't read carefully.

Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  19:17:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lots of Christians support or are indifferent to gay marriage. In America for example the Episcopalians just became the first major church to bless same sex marriages. Not all Christians are intolerant, not all atheists are tolerant.

Edited by - On fire for Christ on 07/13/2012 21:31:19
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  21:39:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Lots of Christians support or are indifferent to gay marriage. The Episcopalians for example will bless same sex marriages. not all Christians are intolerant, not all atheists are tolerant.
Yes, fair enough in warning against prejudice.

But of those who oppose same-sex marriage, how many do so backed by dogma? I'd say the vast majority, as religious objections are the primary force against gay marriage. At present (and this is shifting remarkably fast), most religious people probably still oppose gay marriage. Most atheists are unopposed.

The vast majority of Freethinkers do not oppose same-sex marriage, because even if they think homosexuality is "icky," they think of it as someone else's private business.

Even the American Episcopals you site do not allow their clergy to solemnize "marriage," only a "blessing." Even that half-hearted concession may lead to the breakup of the Anglican Union, which is dominated by quite anti-gay churches due to large, conservative African memberships.

Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  21:52:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes on this particular issue many religious groups are standing in the way of progress. On other issues "freethinkers" and atheists are the problem.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  22:00:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

yes on this particular issue many religious groups are standing in the way of progress. On other issues "freethinkers" and atheists are the problem.
Which issues are those? And are all Freethinkers the problem with those "issues"?

It's not the baby-eating, is it? I mean, that a bedrock custom with us.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/13/2012 22:29:00
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  22:46:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

On other issues "freethinkers" and atheists are the problem.
Yeah, seriously: name one.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.