Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  11:05:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a great discussion of funding space exploration, the cost, the benefits and what our priorities should be. This great panel discussion includes Bill Nye, Niel deGrasse Tyson, Pamela Gay and Lawrence Kraus. Phil Plait moderates, but could have just as easily been a panel member. This discussion also received a standing ovation. Pretty rare for panel discussions at TAM.

Our Future In Space panel from TAM Las Vegas 2011

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  11:59:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A friend of mine wrote this on Huffington Post about this spending being well worth it.

For the price of a little over a week in Afghanistan ($300 million a day), NASA has reignited interest in science, math, engineering, and a host of other disciplines. All practical aspects of Curiosity's mission aside (and there are many), this alone makes the cost well worth it. Just imagine what NASA could do if instead of getting $2.6 billion over the course of eight years, they got an extra $2.6 billion every year or had just a fraction of the Defense budget.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 08/09/2012 11:59:45
Go to Top of Page

gurealB

6 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  23:05:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send gurealB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! Pretty great. Nice job for NASA. :)
Go to Top of Page

Convinced
Skeptic Friend

USA
384 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2012 :  11:12:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Convinced a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Here's a great discussion of funding space exploration, the cost, the benefits and what our priorities should be. This great panel discussion includes Bill Nye, Niel deGrasse Tyson, Pamela Gay and Lawrence Kraus. Phil Plait moderates, but could have just as easily been a panel member. This discussion also received a standing ovation. Pretty rare for panel discussions at TAM.

Thanks, this was a great discussion. I think we should not go crazy spending on space exploration like in the 60's, but they showed how little of the budget NASA is and how cutting funding does little for our deficit problems.

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. (Eph 5:15-17)
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2012 :  12:47:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Convinced

Originally posted by Kil

Thanks, this was a great discussion. I think we should not go crazy spending on space exploration like in the 60's, but they showed how little of the budget NASA is and how cutting funding does little for our deficit problems.
Yeah. They pretty much lay out the problems and some ideas for solutions. But my favorite part has nothing to do with the meat. I just loved when Pamela Gay shushed Tyson. I was there and that made my day. Also the sparring between Tyson and Krauss was interesting. It's not as though this panel came up in lockstep with each other. And that made it all the more interesting, because I know they all like each other.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  14:28:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a pretty cool brief video about some of the features of Curiosity.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.