Religion
 "street preachers" threaten rape?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  01:28:34  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At some gay rally in Grand Rapids this happened.

A female attendee took this video. Fair warning: It’s graphic, it’s disgusting and it will make you want to overturn a table at the very least. At one point, the guy on the left describes how he will rape the camerawoman and how she will enjoy it. He uses the Bible to back this up.

Authorities were notified. According to attendees, they did nothing because they do not respond to verbal threats. I can’t help but think that if he had been vividly describing a terrorist attack he was plotting, the response would have been different.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 08/09/2012 01:29:50

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  01:34:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, no atheist would ever threaten to rape someone. Right?

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  02:18:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The difference being...when atheist do it or threaten it, we don't support them (ie. catholic sex abuse cover up) and we actively try to shut down that attitude (ie. check out the hullaballo about sex harassment at skeptic meetings on Freethought blogs. When those on the skeptic side make such comments as those "preachers" did, they get slapped down. On the other hand, when people like WND writer Vox Day makes comments like there is no such thing as marital rape on his blog, the xian community says nothing.

He gets even worse here

So where's the xian community's outrage over shit like this from their own?

So, what was your point again?

(excerpt follows):
>
>

Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  02:53:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah the atheist community is really united on that whole issue. And the Christian community is totally united on supporting rape. I wish my mind could whitewash things as well as yours

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  04:24:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

yeah the atheist community is really united on that whole issue. And the Christian community is totally united on supporting rape.
Pretty much, yes.
I wish my mind could whitewash things as well as yours
They are pretty much united in their silence, when they should be denouncing and picketing churches whose pastors threaten or commit rape.

And why the mean streak lately, OffC?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  05:29:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty much no. Half your community denies there is even a problem. And the Catholic church does not represent all of Christianity. And even them today are acknowledging a problem. Find me any church that supports rape.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  06:53:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Pretty much no. Half your community denies there is even a problem.
Half of skeptics think there is no problem with rape threats? I doubt that very much. Prove it. Unless and until you, I'm calling that a lie. Even so, I've learned not to expect you to do any research.
And the Catholic church does not represent all of Christianity. And even them today are acknowledging a problem. Find me any church that supports rape.
We were talking about rape threats, here, not rape per se. But okay, I'll add that to the discussion. 1) The Catholic Church supports and encourages actual child rape through their consistent protection, cover-up and reassignment of child-molesting priests. 2) The church of the preacher in the video supports rape threats. 3) This twisted church.

Go to Top of Page

Convinced
Skeptic Friend

USA
384 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  07:24:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Convinced a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

They are pretty much united in their silence, when they should be denouncing and picketing churches whose pastors threaten or commit rape.

And why the mean streak lately, OffC?
Rape and rape threats happen by people attending christian churches, but I think you would be hard pressed to find any church that promotes rape from the pulpit or has that as a teaching.

I understand your thoughts about christians speaking out more, but it is also a stretch to blame christians for rape because they are not more vocal about it. There or tons of christian organisations that help rape victims.

Can you tell me of a church that teaches christians are going to rape women in the end times as a doctrine?

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. (Eph 5:15-17)
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  08:27:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

yeah the atheist community is really united on that whole issue. And the Christian community is totally united on supporting rape.
Pretty much, yes.

The problem exists in both communities. Silence should not be the response to threats in either community. To single out Christians as being more guilty ia absurd. This is a social problem that spans many demographics. It is a good thing that our community (communities) are having the debate over harassment policies, misogyny and rape, but just a couple of years ago, no one was talking about it in our community. Now they are. Some jerks have weighed in with threats of rape. They will always be jerks. And there will always be jerks among Christians.

To say that Christian community is totally united in support of rape is an absurd statement, Mooner. What the Catholic church did was to hide the problem from their parishioners as well as the public at large. And a whole lot of Catholics not only spoke out against the church's handling of the problem, many even left the church in disgust.

Because some people in our community (communities) are trying to raise awareness of the problem does not mean that Christians are united is supporting rape. That just doesn't follow.

I can't find any rational justification for making that accusation.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  09:38:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Pretty much, yes.

The problem exists in both communities. Silence should not be the response to threats in either community. To single out Christians as being more guilty ia absurd. This is a social problem that spans many demographics. It is a good thing that our community (communities) are having the debate over harassment policies, misogyny and rape, but just a couple of years ago, no one was talking about it in our community. Now they are. Some jerks have weighed in with threats of rape. They will always be jerks. And there will always be jerks among Christians.

To say that Christian community is totally united in support of rape is an absurd statement, Mooner. What the Catholic church did was to hide the problem from their parishioners as well as the public at large. And a whole lot of Catholics not only spoke out against the church's handling of the problem, many even left the church in disgust.

Because some people in our community (communities) are trying to raise awareness of the problem does not mean that Christians are united is supporting rape. That just doesn't follow.

I can't find any rational justification for making that accusation.
Of course you are correct about the Christian community not "being united for rape." I stupidly overstated that deliberately, thinking to mirror and thus draw attention to OffC's own hyperbole. I was wrong to do so simply because my statement could/would be taken literally.

But the patriarchal teachings of most Christianity do tend to encourage all kinds of abuses of women. And the Old Testament specifically encourages and/or commands rape in several verses. Some Biblical literalists do go nuts with such verses.

As for the Catholic Church members who've left due to child rape, I say good for them! The Church itself, however, still is resisting change, even as it closes churches to pay civil settlements related to the abuse.

Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  14:15:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yeah, no atheist would ever threaten to rape someone. Right?
Well, at least it's evidence against the often touted claim that religious folk are more moral than atheists.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  15:55:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for the Catholic Church members who've left due to child rape, I say good for them! The Church itself, however, still is resisting change, even as it closes churches to pay civil settlements related to the abuse.
Then, hopefully, we'll be rid of them sooner rather than later.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

AyameTan

Japan
36 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  21:58:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send AyameTan a Private Message  Reply with Quote

yeah the atheist community is really united on that whole issue. And the Christian community is totally united on supporting rape. I wish my mind could whitewash things as well as yours

The Christian community has no real basis for opposing rape, especially considering that there is no proscription against it, not in the "top 10" of your laws, and certainly not in the 600+ minutiae.

There are, however, quite a few verses that would encourage rape, at least if the woman is unwilling to marry you.

Genesis 34:31: Dinah's brothers, to justify the massacre of a town for the rape of their sister, say: "Should he deal with our sister as with a harlot?" To the author of Genesis, rape is a crime against the honor of men rather than against a woman.

Deuteronomy 22:23-24: If a betrothed virgin is raped in the city and doesn't cry out loud enough, then "the men of the city shall stone her to death."

Deuteronomy 22:28-29: If a man rapes an unbetrothed virgin, he must pay her father 50 shekels of silver and then marry her.

"Tatti hitori no inochi wo sukuu mono wa zensekai wo sukuu."
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  23:33:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well that's really more relevant to the Jewish community than it is to me.

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  02:43:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To an extent, yes, but...Is it your god who allegedly wrote that or not? Is the OT not part of the bible or not? Sure, it's not followed as much now (ie. cherry-picked) but nevertheless, it is still part of your holy book whose laws have been set down by your so-called perfect, moral god.

Your problem is that you actually have a holy book that endorses or allows rape in certain situations while we atheists most certainly do fucking not.

(excerpt follows):
>
>

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds.