Publisher pulls "The Jefferson Lies" from shelves
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2012 :  01:12:10  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
David Barton, the Teabagger's Historical Revisionist and Christian Nationalist fabulist, has suffered a well-deserved, humiliating defeat:
Citing a loss of confidence in the book's details, Christian publisher Thomas Nelson is ending the publication and distribution of the bestseller, The Jefferson Lies: Exposing the Myths You've Always Believed About Thomas Jefferson.

. . .

"Mr. Barton is presenting a Jefferson that modern-day evangelicals could love and identify with," Warren Throckmorton, a professor at the evangelical Grove City College, told Hagerty. "The problem with that is, it's not a whole Jefferson; it's not getting him right."

The book's publisher came to the same conclusion.

"When the concerns came in, from multiple people, and that had weight too, we were trying to sort things out," said Thomas Nelson Senior Vice President and Publisher Brian Hampton. "Were these matters of opinion? Were they differences of interpretation? But as we got into it, our conclusion was that the criticisms were correct. There were historical details — matters of fact, not matters of opinion, that were not supported at all."

. . .

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/10/2012 01:42:12

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  21:42:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spread some (or all) of these links to Chris Rodda's blog posts as far and wide as you can:

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  22:34:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Spread some (or all) of these links to Chris Rodda's blog posts as far and wide as you can:
Thanks for the links, Dave. I've been avidly following that exchange. Rick Green seems to run his blog much like Barton does his "scholarship". This "challenge" appears to have been a mere hoax to impress readers, while not actually allowing any criticism.

These guys make an industry out of lying to people. (But isn't that the very foundation and definition of religion?)

Meanwhile, Barton himself bitches that his erstwhile publisher didn't even have the decency to bring the items in The Jefferson Lies to his attention so that he could address them. That would normally seem a valid criticism.

I have my own theory about that, though: The publisher looked into the lists of distortions and bad history that the scholars sent to them, and concluded that Barton had not made mere "errors," but had deliberately falsified and quote-mined sources, had systematically left out any information that tended to make Jefferson appear anything but a hardcore, fundamentalist Christian. They concluded that the evidence showed that Barton is a liar with an agenda who had no intention of making his tome approach the truth in any way. When they realized that, the publishers decided there was no point in asking Barton to "fix" a few troublesome passages.

They rightly decided that Barton was not just a sloppy scholar who had produced a bad book, but was an inherently bad man who would never allow himself to produce any other kind of book.

Pulling a book for dishonesty is a rare event. It's memorable when it does happen, and humiliating to the author. Barton may well republish his Lies, but far fewer people now (and practically no scholars) will be tricked into taking it as a serious work of history. This book is now clearly distinguished as a book for and by Christian Nationalist wingnuts.

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2012 :  16:03:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like Barton is having even more trouble with his book...from the Discovery Institute no less.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2012 :  17:36:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess Barton just became drunk on his own success. He kept ramping up the lies until even his fellow propagandists could no longer defend his scholarship. It's been great to see.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2012 :  23:54:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

I guess Barton just became drunk on his own success. He kept ramping up the lies until even his fellow propagandists could no longer defend his scholarship. It's been great to see.

Took way too damn long though. And let's face it, he'll likely recover from this.

(excerpt follows):
>
>

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2012 :  02:30:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Originally posted by H. Humbert

Took way too damn long though. And let's face it, he'll likely recover from this.

That "drunk on his own success" business H.H. mentions is a real factor with a lot of these guys. This variety of the arrogance of power a challenge for anyone, but especially for those whose careers depend completely upon creating falsehoods. There's almost no reality check for such people. The pack of lies get more and more grandiose, until the whole bundle starts to unravel. Barton has reached, and exceeded, that Joe McCarthy point.

Yes, ig, it took too long. Barton almost certainly will continue to pursue his career path. But I think from this point on, he's branded and restricted himself (and finally is recognized even by very conservative historians) as strictly the pseudo-historian of the delusional far-right wing-nuts. No real historians and few other academics are likely treat him as anything but a lying douche-bag.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/18/2012 01:19:37
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2012 :  16:14:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's another defeat for that lying jackass: The late Chuck Colson's ministry is dropping him now.

Nevertheless we became for him a devoted cadre of disciples. We knew our country’s founding principles were vitally important. However, so is historical accuracy. It looks as if Barton compromised one to make a case for the other.

(excerpt follows):
>
>

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.33 seconds.