Boungiorno (and TELUS Canada) scam
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  16:19:52  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We just had an extra $10 charge appear on our mobile phone bill. I emailed the phone company (TELUS) to inquire why. What seems to happen, in essence, is that TELUS allows companies (e.g. Buongiorno) to charge TELUS money, claiming that one of TELUS' customers ordered something from Buongiorno and then TELUS tries to get that money from ME - even though I never wanted anything from Buongiorno. In this case, Buongiorno claims that I ordered a subscription for some games (I didn't). "Most" interesting of all is that TELUS can't seem to understand that they play a part in the scam that is going on. Here is the email exchange:

I was just looking over the last bill due Sept 24th and noticed under the heading "Data and other Services" that there is a $10 charge for "Content Subscripton". I'm fairly sure that I'm not subscribing to anything, so what is this item?

A few days later I got a reply:
Having reviewed your account I found a monthly subscription generated on August 12 which reflects as Gamifive_1000subscription. After some quick digging it appears that this is a $10 recurring subscription to a third party service which provides unlimited plays of 100+ games. The third party company that hosts this service is called Buongiorno. To unsubscribe you will need to use the following link.

http://support.mobivillage.ca/applicationpage?applicationid=GAMIFIVE

For further questions about the services they provide, how you were signed up, billing or to dispute the charges you can contact them directly at 1-800-986-4614.

I replied:
Eeeeer, how come they can just charge ME through YOU? I certainly have not signed up to them. And why should I have to call THEM when YOU are charging me? This is completely bizarre and totally out of order. I would like this sorted out and I want TELUS to do it. Now!

TELUS replied:
Billing through the cell phone provider is not an uncommon practice in the same way that clients with home TV services can bill pay per view events or movies to their TV bill. In this instance Buongiorno has billed TELUS for your subscription and we in turn bill you to recoup the funds. So while TELUS has now invoiced you for the charges, the reality is that it is Buongiorno that has charged you, not TELUS.

While I would love to be of more assistance to you in this matter the charges did not originate with us, nor did the service so unfortunately, I will have to again refer you to the third party company to get resolution. TELUS does not have the ability to cancel the subscription nor do we offer refunds or credits for this type of charge. That being said, I have had many clients successfully dispute this kind charge from similar services and should they side with your dispute a cheque will be mailed by them, to you, for reimbursement.

My reply:

The billing we are talking about here is not the same as pay per view movies etc. With Shaw, for example, you order their TV subscription and then you order a movie from SHAW. Both are the same company. You guys have allowed some extra entity into the mix - one that you seem to have no control over.

Now, I don't care if Buongiorno charged you first and that you are merely trying to recoup your costs. That is not my problem (although you certainly made it so). You have clearly allowed Buongiorno to make charges to peoples bills (peoples TELUS bills) and trying to absolve yourselves from any part of the problem at hand is simply appalling.

Do a quick google search for "buongiorno" and "scam" and you will find plenty of people that have had the same experience as me. I hope all of this is reported to your superiors and that I will not have to deal with this nonsense again.

I have phoned Buongiorno, and alledgedly I'm getting a cheque sent in the mail as reimbursement. Which meant that I had to give them my address. So, what is the next scam I'll be exposed to?

What a waste of time.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  17:41:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your politicians are in on this scam too.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Doctor X
Voluntary Exile

151 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  17:49:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Doctor X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Refuse to pay unless they can demonstrate where you agree in your contract to pay all charges charged to you on your phone bill.

Then warn them if they try to collect and/or report you to credit agencies you will sue them.

Then kill their families, the friends of their families, people who owe them money burn down their stores and homes then . . . oh wait . . . sorry, was rewatching The Usual Suspects. . . .

--J.D.

His secrets are not sold cheaply.
It is perilous to waste his time.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2012 :  07:11:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Doctor X

Refuse to pay unless they can demonstrate where you agree in your contract to pay all charges charged to you on your phone bill.

Then warn them if they try to collect and/or report you to credit agencies you will sue them.

Then kill their families, the friends of their families, people who owe them money burn down their stores and homes then . . . oh wait . . . sorry, was rewatching The Usual Suspects. . . .

--J.D.

Uproot all their crops, poison their wells, and salt the Earth they live on.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2012 :  19:29:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Originally posted by Doctor X

--J.D.

Uproot all their crops, poison their wells, and salt the Earth they live on.
Considering the amount of money we're talking about here, I'd say that would be virtually letting them off the hook.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2012 :  17:30:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hawks

Considering the amount of money we're talking about here, I'd say that would be virtually letting them off the hook.
There's really no telling how big this kind of scam is. It could collect a lot over time. Only people who read their bill might catch it and those setup with automatic bill paying might never notice it go by. I won't signup for those.

Speaking of scams, I'm not keen on the RFID imbedded credit cards either. One of my credit cards sent me a new card unsolicited and it had an RFID chip in it which allows charges to be made while it's still in my wallet, no thanks. They are suppose to only work over a few inches but I get my internet over a WiFi connection with a two watt adapter from over 1500 ft away and that ain't WiFi standard but it works. I called visa up and said "no way Jose". I feel they tried to slip it by me because they never stated why I was sent the card. I have read about the ways this "new convenience" can be hacked. Some credit cards will only have a small 'wifi' logo on them if they have it.

From the link,,,
Ability to scan the RFID enabled cards:

Scanners that can “read” the RFID cards are available to merchants and the general public
These scanners can interrogate the RFID card, and retrieve the information provided by the RFID chip on the card
This is a fairly simple process, and can certainly be done without the card owner knowing that it has been done.

Most people will never be defrauded I'm sure but I'm not going there. I prefer to opt in selectively to services not be drafted. Especially ones that touch my money.

I won't touch bank debit cards, they are very risky to have but that's something else.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2012 :  08:10:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Originally posted by Hawks

There's really no telling how big this kind of scam is. It could collect a lot over time. Only people who read their bill might catch it and those setup with automatic bill paying might never notice it go by. I won't signup for those.

Speaking of scams, I'm not keen on the RFID imbedded credit cards either. One of my credit cards sent me a new card unsolicited and it had an RFID chip in it which allows charges to be made while it's still in my wallet, no thanks. They are suppose to only work over a few inches but I get my internet over a WiFi connection with a two watt adapter from over 1500 ft away and that ain't WiFi standard but it works. I called visa up and said "no way Jose". I feel they tried to slip it by me because they never stated why I was sent the card. I have read about the ways this "new convenience" can be hacked. Some credit cards will only have a small 'wifi' logo on them if they have it.

From the link,,,
Ability to scan the RFID enabled cards:

Scanners that can “read” the RFID cards are available to merchants and the general public
These scanners can interrogate the RFID card, and retrieve the information provided by the RFID chip on the card
This is a fairly simple process, and can certainly be done without the card owner knowing that it has been done.

Most people will never be defrauded I'm sure but I'm not going there. I prefer to opt in selectively to services not be drafted. Especially ones that touch my money.

I won't touch bank debit cards, they are very risky to have but that's something else.

Been aware of that for years. If you take a small knife and cut the connections to the RFID attenna (attached to a smallish black chip embedded in the card) it can't be hacked or read remotely.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2012 :  11:56:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Very true, it's a lot harder to get fraudulent charges that already paid out back than it is to not pay fraudulent charges on credit cards.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

Baxter
Skeptic Friend

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2012 :  12:39:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Baxter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same thing happened to me with another third-party company. There's a facebook app where you can enter a phone # and that person will receive a $9.99 charge every month (the fine print says that you are signing up to some sort of subscription--something that obviously no one would ever willingly pay 10 bucks for).

I called Verizon and they said they couldn't do anything about it. However, I then emailed Verizon and they took the charge off, and plus they disabled all third-party activity on my account.

"We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me." ~from Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

"We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know." ~Robert G. Ingersoll
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.