Debt collector's "settlement offer"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  14:42:05  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My wife got a bill from a debt collector today about an old Verizon charge that had long since been settled. The total amount was for $94.91, but they informed her that for a limited time they would be willing to accept only half of that. $47.46.

Then, in the middle of the page, I see this statement:
WE ARE REQUIRED BY LAW TO GIVE YOU THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION ABOUT THIS DEBT. The legal time limit (statute of limitations) for suing you to collect this debt has expired. However, if somebody sues you anyway to try to make you pay this debt, court rules REQUIRE YOU to tell the court that the statute of limitations has expired to prevent the creditor from obtaining a judgment. Even though the statute of limitations has expired, you may CHOOSE to make payments. However, BE AWARE: if you make a payment, the creditor’s right to sue you to make you pay the entire debt may START AGAIN.
So they announce in print they have no longer have any legal right to pester her for this money, and in fact if she gives them any money at all she may be placing herself back on the hook for the entire amount. What a deal!

Obviously enough people are scared by yellow envelops and red letters demanding payment to make this scam profitable.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  16:15:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Obviously enough people are scared by yellow envelops and red letters demanding payment to make this scam profitable.

Moral of the story?? Know your rights and read the fine print. To catch a fish, you have to go fishing. Your right, it's a typical fishing trip. Good eye H.H..

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  16:48:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank goodness for that law, whatever it is!

Shit....

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  17:02:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

My wife got a bill from a debt collector today about an old Verizon charge that had long since been settled. The total amount was for $94.91, but they informed her that for a limited time they would be willing to accept only half of that. $47.46.

WE ARE REQUIRED BY LAW TO GIVE YOU THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION ABOUT THIS DEBT. The legal time limit (statute of limitations) for suing you to collect this debt has expired. However, if somebody sues you anyway to try to make you pay this debt, court rules REQUIRE YOU to tell the court that the statute of limitations has expired to prevent the creditor from obtaining a judgment. Even though the statute of limitations has expired, you may CHOOSE to make payments. However, BE AWARE: if you make a payment, the creditor’s right to sue you to make you pay the entire debt may START AGAIN.
So they announce in print they have no longer have any legal right to pester her for this money, and in fact if she gives them any money at all she may be placing herself back on the hook for the entire amount. What a deal!

Bottom feeders. They are probably getting some percentage of people who pay, as you said. And for that amount, no one is going to file.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  17:45:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Bottom feeders. They are probably getting some percentage of people who pay, as you said. And for that amount, no one is going to file.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.