General Discussion
 Teen charged with felony for science experiment
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2013 :  21:15:10  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found on Richard Dawkins website.

The petition to stop this fucking idiocy is here.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2013 :  21:38:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Petitions generally do nothing at all. I won't tell anyone not to sign the petition, but you can also contribute to Kiera Wilmot's legal defense fund, which is much more likely to have an impact on this case.

Also read "Mad Science or School-to-Prison? Criminalizing Black Girls," which is where I found the link to the defense-fund page.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2013 :  19:25:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not so sure I can agree with petitions generally do nothing at all, Dave. Though "generally" is a bit (general) or unspecific. I'm not exact on what that's saying. I sign change.org petitions most of the time but not everyone and get notices when they achieved their intent. Certainly they aren't 100% but even at a 25% success rate, I would say that it's always worth the effort. It will be interesting to see if this petition helps her before court time. It's a bumrap and taken to a jury trial I would think she would not be found guilty but we'll see either way. You might not be aware how many times they are effective.

Speaking of petitions, I got this from change.org today w/subject line "What 1,461,948 signatures did:" Sunday, May 12, 2013 11:21 AM.
James —

Here's what it feels like to win a campaign on Change.org: it feels like 14 year-old Morgan getting the life-saving treatment she needs to survive. It feels like Carson Rubin finding out he's going to get his "robot ears" and be able to hear for the first time at age 5. It feels like Kathryn Jones saving her home from foreclosure.

Those are just three of the recent victories that were made possible because you signed a petition. Check out more below – and see which ones you helped win.

* Kathryn Jones of Pennsylvania won a loan modification with Bank of America that will allow her family to stay in their home after receiving over 185,000 signatures on her petition. Kathryn says, "For those who signed, you have our most humble gratitude. May your kindness find its way back to you."

* 15 year-old Rehtaeh committed suicide after being raped and cyber-bullied. Authorities launched an investigation surrounding her death when 455,000 people signed a petition started by Sherri, a family friend.

5 year-old Carson Rubin's parents started a petition asking their health care provider to cover the cost of Carson's cochlear implant surgery, and after 111,653 signatures, Coventry Health Care not only agreed to cover the cost, but to change the policy statewide.

When Ankur Singh was left outside in subzero temperatures by Greyhound bus company, he started a petition. More than 90,000 signatures later, Greyhound agreed to make sure stations are open for passengers.

* Jonathan Hankins and his family got sick after moving into a home Freddie Mac sold them because it used to be a meth lab. His petition asking the mortgage lender to cover the cost of decontaminating their home won with 211,995 signatures.

* The University of Virginia stopped "cruel trainings" on cats named Alley, Fiddle, and Kiki after a petition started by a doctor and animal lover got over 185,000 signatures. The cats are now in good homes.

Each of these victories represents an adversity overcome, a life made better – or even possible – because you signed a petition. What will you change next?

Katie and the Change.org team

(FYI the (*) by some of them are ones I signed.)

I presume the people who had those issues and took a chance starting their petition would not agree.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2013 :  20:55:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't a petition just an argument from popularity?

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2013 :  21:04:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

'Cause social change always stems from a solid logical argument.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2013 :  21:47:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you saying that educational reforms should not be subject to argument from popularity, but social reforms should? There always seems to be some excuse when skeptics are caught using they same logical fallacies they love to accuse others of.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2013 :  22:50:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Are you saying that educational reforms should not be subject to argument from popularity, but social reforms should? There always seems to be some excuse when skeptics are caught using they same logical fallacies they love to accuse others of.
Saying "we think situation X is wrong and it should change" isn't a logical argument, and so cannot be subject to logical fallacies.

Now, if we were to go into the reasons why the status quo should change, those will be logical arguments built on certain moral axioms, and so may include fallacious logic. But a petition itself isn't such an argument. A petition's intent is to get the attention of those who might listen to an argument in favor of a proposition (and they fail more often than they succeed), it isn't the proposition itself. Different contexts require different tools.

I'm guessing by "educational reforms" you're referring to the creationism thing, but all ten of those items were allegedly logical arguments in the form of "[text of reason], therefore we should teach creationism in public schools." #10 was basically, "creationism is popular, therefore teach it," a blatant argument from popularity.

If someone in power perked up at the Kiera Wilmot petition and asked, "okay, why shouldn't she be charged with a felony?" and the response was, "because a lot of us don't want her to be," then that would be a fallacious argument from popularity.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2013 :  02:01:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds an awful lot like you only apply logic when it suits you to do so.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2013 :  03:41:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I wouldn't know how to apply logic when it's not suitable. "I like chocolate" is an empirical statement which might be a premise to a logical argument, but I wouldn't know how to "apply logic" to it alone. Context matters.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2013 :  05:38:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I don't see them that way, not in a strict sense. For it to be based on popularity then wouldn't a petition have an approved or disapproved opinion box to sign, with the totals signatures mandating it's adaption or not? Petitions gather their own number of signatures and that number has no relevance or is no guarantee when large that it's purpose or requested change occurs.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2013 :  18:04:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Logical arguments are used when one is trying to sort out the nature of reality, not when one is trying to tell someone to do something. A petition is not a logical argument at all. That's an entirely different kettle of fish.

(excerpt follows):
>
>

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2013 :  18:10:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In other words: We're trying to enact change, not win an argument.

(excerpt follows):
>
>

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2013 :  06:43:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great news, the petition helped Ms.Wilmot.

Link.
State Attorney Jerry Hill: Drop charges against Kiera Wilmot
---------
Victory

After more than 194,000 people signed Maggie Gillman's petition to have all charges against high-school student Kiera Wilmot dropped, prosecutors have just announced that they will not file any charges against Kiera! Kiera was arrested and faced two felony charges after conducting a science experiment at school without permission.

Now, what will be the next overreaction our nonthinking dogmatic school administrators inevitably stumble into? Maybe some 8 y/o will get suspended for having a solid plastic key chain charm of a gun 1/2 inch big and be charged with bringing a gun to school or suspended for a t-shirt or hair cut that dares to attract attention, that brings out the wrath of the principal. What a colossal waste of intelligence and authority. How much does a principal's head have to be up their ass to suspend a student for doing this

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.