Skeptic Friends Network

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 General Discussion
 Growling & breathing sounds at night
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

chitashines
New Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  14:25:50  Show Profile Send chitashines a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am posting this on behalf of my cousin who is a staunch believer in *everything*. I, OTOH, am a huge skeptic. However, she has something going on in her house that has even me baffled. She lives at home w/ her parents. Her parents have separate bedrooms (snoring issue). The mom (my aunt) has been complaining for a very long time that she hears noises, voices, and heavy breathing in her room when she's in there at night. Skeptical me just chalked it up to her being half-asleep and "hallucinating." This past weekend, my cousin decided to put her iPhone in my aunt's room and record. She played it back and was scared shitless by what she heard. She e-mailed me the recording. I listened to it through headphones and at one point heard what sounded like heavy breathing coupled with growling. It sounded very animal-like. They have no pets. I just chalked it up to the noises coming from my aunt as she was sleeping (heavy breathing, grunting in her sleep). My cousin recorded again earlier today with no one in the room. She sent it to me, and the same sounds occurred again! I can't chalk it up to anything reasonable anymore. I normally brush this stuff off, but I am a little concerned about what might be going on. Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  17:07:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sound can travel unexpected distances, depending on the terrain. For example, folks thought their house was haunted because they would sometimes hear voices at a certain place in their house. It turned out to be from people walking and talking along a road. The sound was ricocheting just right off of the terrain.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  20:26:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your post doesn't say much at all, IMO. You claim your a skeptic, well we got people here who claim their skeptics too. They believe in a magical God that loves them and to who they pray to based on no evidence. So forgive me that I'm skeptical that your a skeptic. We really know nothing about you. With what you presented I'm not impressed at all. Let's us see what kind of skeptic you are, as a skeptic what have you done so far if what you say is so? Besides listen to the recording join SFN and open this thread? If that's all you've done your not a skeptic, in my book and Websters book also. I can think of a number of things I would do but I want to know what you have done before I take anything you post seriously.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13470 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  21:05:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chitashines

I am posting this on behalf of my cousin who is a staunch believer in *everything*. I, OTOH, am a huge skeptic. However, she has something going on in her house that has even me baffled. She lives at home w/ her parents. Her parents have separate bedrooms (snoring issue). The mom (my aunt) has been complaining for a very long time that she hears noises, voices, and heavy breathing in her room when she's in there at night. Skeptical me just chalked it up to her being half-asleep and "hallucinating." This past weekend, my cousin decided to put her iPhone in my aunt's room and record. She played it back and was scared shitless by what she heard. She e-mailed me the recording. I listened to it through headphones and at one point heard what sounded like heavy breathing coupled with growling. It sounded very animal-like. They have no pets. I just chalked it up to the noises coming from my aunt as she was sleeping (heavy breathing, grunting in her sleep). My cousin recorded again earlier today with no one in the room. She sent it to me, and the same sounds occurred again! I can't chalk it up to anything reasonable anymore. I normally brush this stuff off, but I am a little concerned about what might be going on. Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Is there a crawl space that can be accessed under the house or over the bedroom?

I'm asking that because I've experienced the same thing and it turned out to be possums.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Saudi Arabia
1266 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  21:54:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Sailingsoul, go away and never come back.

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2013 :  06:52:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

I agree with Sailingsoul, go away and never come back.
That's not my position. I'm not saying go away. I'm saying that I can think of questions that will possibly give us or chitashines a reasonable answer. My position is reflected in my post. Claims to be believed need to be presented with evidence and I'm not taking at face value what was stated and as a claimed skeptic neither should chitashines. If my cousin did this to me I, being a skeptic, would have quite a few questions for that cousin. I simply asked him the first of many questions I have. I not going to go off half cocked making assumptions and asking questions that could be answered to build a solid story where one does not exist now. For example Kil asked one and if this is some joke the answer would be "No the house is on a slab". I want more information than what was given in the OP and not by asking questions that could allow chitashines to construct the story after the fact. So I started out with asking a fellow stated skeptic "That's all you got???" If it is he's no skeptic in my book. chitashines you haven't done step 1 if you think your a skeptic and if you ONLY got what you presented. So I'm asking "What did you ask your cousin when presented with this recording?" What you say might indicate if your are a skeptic or not or pulling bullshit. Let us know by telling us what other questions did you ask your cousin when your gave you this "crap"??? Supernatural shit doesn't exist because there is NO evidence it does and until there is talk about it is crap!

I'm asking chitashines direct questions and not answering any one of them is not going to be missed by me. I've made two posts and there are questions in both now and if I going to participate they need to be answered. All of them. That is how I'm playing this game. Which is how I see this crap. Who knows, maybe there ghosts. Yeah, right! wwoooohhh! like your cousin, I'm scared shitless reading what your wrote,,,,,, NOT. Get real people.


I'm sure as hell ain't going off half cocked and stating by asking questions that will give away the direction of my investigation. I'm not going to ask questions that can allow chitashines to close off any door I would like to go through. chitashines has got to give up more and be more forth coming for me to even start to take him/her seriously and can start by answering my questions.

I'll email any regular poster here some of the questions I got, if they want to know what I'm thinking, just ask. I sure don't want to show chitashines my cards, it's his/her job to do that first. An investigation should not be done by a bunch of cats that are running in every direction. That would be a complete waste of time for all of us. This is starting out completely wrong, IMO.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2013 :  10:06:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

I agree with Sailingsoul, go away and never come back.
I believe Sméagol said that, but didn't work out since "Master betrayed us." Poor Sméagol.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2013 :  10:18:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

I agree with Sailingsoul, go away and never come back.


OK, OFfC, can you stop being a dick now?

SS was expressing doubt that chit had done an exhaustive search for explainations. He was talking about skepticism as being a more exhaustive search and requesting information on what chit did beyond listening to the recording and posting here.

In no way did he suggest chit should stop posting or not log back in.

Perhaps chit will post something concerning the other things he did to search to eliminate natural causes for the noises he heard.


Seriously, OFfc. Prozac, fellah.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

chitashines
New Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2013 :  10:31:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chitashines a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! WTF did I say wrong to deserve all this backlash? I'm just trying to help my cousin out. Why do I have to "prove" myself to be a skeptic on this forum? Just because I just joined this forum doesn't mean I'm a "newbie skeptic." I've been an atheist for 15 years and a skeptic even longer than that. I've thought of all the possible reasons for the noises. As I stated in my OP, maybe my aunt is grunting in her sleep. I asked cousin "Are there dogs in the area?" "Are you sure it's not your mother making those noises?" "Could it be cars going by?" No, I cannot sit in the room and listen for myself because I live 10 hours away. I only came here to see if anybody else had any plausible theories that I'm not thinking of. Just because this is cyberspace, doesn't mean you should leave your manners & rudeness at home. Would you talk to a person face to face like that? Is that how you were raised? A lot of cowards hide behind the internet. Just sayin....
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2013 :  11:32:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chitashines

Wow! WTF did I say wrong to deserve all this backlash? I'm just trying to help my cousin out. Why do I have to "prove" myself to be a skeptic on this forum? Just because I just joined this forum doesn't mean I'm a "newbie skeptic." I've been an atheist for 15 years and a skeptic even longer than that. I've thought of all the possible reasons for the noises. As I stated in my OP, maybe my aunt is grunting in her sleep. I asked cousin "Are there dogs in the area?" "Are you sure it's not your mother making those noises?" "Could it be cars going by?" No, I cannot sit in the room and listen for myself because I live 10 hours away. I only came here to see if anybody else had any plausible theories that I'm not thinking of. Just because this is cyberspace, doesn't mean you should leave your manners & rudeness at home. Would you talk to a person face to face like that? Is that how you were raised? A lot of cowards hide behind the internet. Just sayin....


You did nothing to warrant the response SS gave you, it was rude and excessive. Welcome to SFN where we all get our panties in a bunch occasionally.

Also OFfC's post was a clearly sarcastic response to SS and I support its intent.


"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2013 :  12:30:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chitashines

Wow! WTF did I say wrong to deserve all this backlash?
You did nothing wrong. You have my apologies. That's not how we like to welcome new members to the SFN.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13470 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2013 :  13:04:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Originally posted by chitashines

Wow! WTF did I say wrong to deserve all this backlash?
You did nothing wrong. You have my apologies. That's not how we like to welcome new members to the SFN.
Dito. And since I'm an administrator here, double dito. Sorry about that. And welcome to SFN!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2558 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2013 :  13:22:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

I agree with Sailingsoul, go away and never come back.

Where did Sailingsoul ever say that, and what the FUCK pal? You are not the admin here, and even if you were I'd still be asking you: What the fuck?

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Saudi Arabia
1266 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2013 :  18:01:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obviously I was parodying SS's ludicrously hostile reception to a new member with a genuine question.

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2013 :  20:07:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Your post doesn't say much at all, IMO. You claim your a skeptic, well we got people here who claim their skeptics too. They believe in a magical God that loves them and to who they pray to based on no evidence. So forgive me that I'm skeptical that your a skeptic. We really know nothing about you. With what you presented I'm not impressed at all. Let's us see what kind of skeptic you are, as a skeptic what have you done so far if what you say is so? Besides listen to the recording join SFN and open this thread? If that's all you've done your not a skeptic, in my book and Websters book also. I can think of a number of things I would do but I want to know what you have done before I take anything you post seriously.
Everyone calm down let's try to be reasonable here. Let's back up.

Let's start with my post. What is so offensive with my post that is quoted above??? Please point out what specifically in this post is offensive to anyone. I would like to know what any one found that was offensive???

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Saudi Arabia
1266 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2013 :  20:10:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I said it was hostile, not offensive. It's confrontational, contemptuous and dismissive.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.


Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.
Powered by @tomic Studio
Snitz Forums 2000