Baby Breastfed By Vegan Mother Dies
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  19:23:58  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

As far as I know, there is absolutely zero evidence that the species Homo sapiens has ever been anything other than omnivorous. In fact there is considerable evidence that early hominids were only kick-started down the road of evolution toward bigger brains once they relinquished a predominant or total vegetarian diet and started to get more animal protein through hunting and/or scavenging. The palaeontological evidence is clear and indisputable: meat made us what we are. Individuals may give up meat if they wish, and I have no problem with that. But, given the evidence of evolution, I cannot believe that it is healthy for us as a species. Babies must be given the essentials that made us fully human. Our education system is failing us if it does not teach this simple fact. But, in a world where evolution itself is increasingly questioned, this is hardly surprising. And this is sickening

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  09:06:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is a tragic situation. If the parents had just told the doctor, hopefully the doctor would have told the mother to take Vit B12 and A

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  09:16:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh, this story is two years old. The baby didn't die of simple malnutrition:
Joel and Sergine Le Moaligou were accused of further negligence by refusing to seek medical assistance when she contracted bronchitis.

Instead of taking her to hospital the couple tried to treat her with cabbage and clay poultices and massages with camphor and garlic oil.
I can't tell which is worse: the nutritional ignorance or the medical ignorance.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  17:26:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised we don't hear of this more often considering how many people claim to be stout vegans. It should be pointed out again that there is more than deficiencies of vitamin B12 and Vitamin A in a vegan diet. People who you would think are intelligent enough come up with the craziest beliefs that are down right dangerous to themselves and tragically for their children too.

It appears to be way more than just taking additional vitamins B12 and A.

If raised strictly vegan, the child would almost certainly have severe deficiencies of Vitamins A and D, both of which are essential bone nutrients that can only be obtained from animal products. In all likelihood, she would also be lacking needed calcium, zinc, B-12 as well as other B vitamins, Vitamin K, the EPA and DHA fatty acids and the sulfur containing amino acids methionine and cysteine.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2013 :  08:20:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Huh, this story is two years old. The baby didn't die of simple malnutrition:
Joel and Sergine Le Moaligou were accused of further negligence by refusing to seek medical assistance when she contracted bronchitis.

Instead of taking her to hospital the couple tried to treat her with cabbage and clay poultices and massages with camphor and garlic oil.
I can't tell which is worse: the nutritional ignorance or the medical ignorance.

People who neglect real medicine for woo medicine when it comes to their children make me so angry I can't even. Possibly because the only reason I'm alive today is because of good, real, honest-to-Loki medicine, and have to fend off the woo everywhere I go. No, there aren't any miracle arthritis-curing herbs out there. Sorry.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2013 :  08:12:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Siberia

People who neglect real medicine for woo medicine when it comes to their children make me so angry I can't even. Possibly because the only reason I'm alive today is because of good, real, honest-to-Loki medicine, and have to fend off the woo everywhere I go. No, there aren't any miracle arthritis-curing herbs out there. Sorry.
I agree 100% Siberia.

I take it your not going to be interested in this one time discounted travel package I'm offering to visit "Our Lady of Lourdes"? It come with a complementary bathrobe for you to use while taking your dip in the miraculous healing waters.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2013 :  17:23:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Originally posted by Siberia

I agree 100% Siberia.

I take it your not going to be interested in this one time discounted travel package I'm offering to visit "Our Lady of Lourdes"? It come with a complementary bathrobe for you to use while taking your dip in the miraculous healing waters.

... well that place does look amazingly beautiful...

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.