New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2013 :  06:12:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

There are many board gamers in my circle of friends, so it's rare that there is only just two of us for long. We play BSG about every month if not sooner.

Man, I have to call in a favor from God to get 5 to play anything reliably.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2013 :  08:43:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added Amy Dallen’s Behinds the Scenes at TableTop to Other Media.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  12:28:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I watched the Table Top episode of The Resistance. An exciting episode. I had played the King Arthur lore version of the game. I love those psychological board/card games.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  12:30:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's one of my favorite episodes, too, because spoilers.

I feel ripped off this week. All we got was the extended edition of Formula D (the link to which I added to the OP).

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  17:14:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, as belated birthday/father's day gifts, my wife just got me Ticket to Ride, Zombie Dice, Smash Up and Get Bit! She got Elder Sign, too, but mostly for herself.

I really should have figured out how to disable her access to Amazon.com while she's recovering from back surgery...

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  09:12:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wil Wheaton - NOT the Flog (TableTop Bonus) - Wil explains the "filters" they run games through to select them, and so why you won't see Dominion or Puerto Rico played on TableTop.

(For Dominion fans, The Secret History of Dominion got published a couple weeks ago, along with the prototype card images.)

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  11:33:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wil Wheaton - NOT The Flog 2 (TableTop Bonus) is all about indie RPGs, mostly the story-building sort.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2013 :  12:30:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They seem to have skipped episode 7 of season 2, unless they considered the extended edition of Formula D to be S2E07 (it was in the right timeslot).

They also seem to have put S2E08 (the latest, Star Trek Catan) up on YouTube five days before putting it on the Geek & Sundry TableTop page. Go figure.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2013 :  14:11:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just completed a table-top project of my own!

Take a standard Ikea table:

Get a piece of 1/4" MDF cut to the size of the table top, and use contact adhesive to glue a piece of felt (or your preference of material) to the MDF. Lay it on the table:

Build and add a custom rail:

And a huge matching dice/tile/whatever bag:

And you're ready to play:

(Click the images above for full-size photos.)

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2013 :  15:19:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Dave!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2013 :  15:31:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Needed to stain the rail one shade darker, I think, to better match the table.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2013 :  15:52:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Thanks! Needed to stain the rail one shade darker, I think, to better match the table.
I pretty much stay away from finishing. For one thing, I'm just color impaired enough to mess it up. (Red/green. The usual for men.)

But everything looks good. And I should know.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2013 :  18:26:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

But everything looks good. And I should know.
That just makes me think you haven't looked at the full-size images. The "natural" wood putty doesn't match, either. Screw holes are obvious. I should have bought longer screws and gone up through the underside to attach the top rail.

Actually, my biggest mistake was thinking it needed to be glued. So I screwed it all together on the table to get an awesome fit, then unscrewed it all, applied glue, and screwed it all back together without it being on the table (didn't want to accidentally glue it to the table). That messed up a couple of my corner joints, which the wood putty couldn't quite save (because color).

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2013 :  19:36:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh. I saw the holes and knew what they were. And I wouldn't have had them. I'd have used a finish nailer. In some cases I'd have used a brad nailer because all it has to do is hold it together while the glue cures. But I did take that you are an amature into consideration.

As for putty, yeah. I let my finishers do that because getting a good match isn't easy. The pros stain the putty or use color putty that doesn't ever completely dry after they stain. They mix colors until they get a match.

With finish nails the glue would have been necessary and the holes much smaller. But you're right about the screws and glue. Screws grab so most of the time, glue isn't necessary.

But still... Looking at it from my perspective, and knowing what I know, you did a really good job. I have jigs and corner clamps to line up things like miters. You don't.

If you hate the putty holes, you can get a plug cutter bit for your drill that matches the size of the holes and plug the holes with the same wood you built it with. You would have to dig the putty out to do that and you don't want to do that.

But then, because you built it makes you the most critical of it. I do that too. What most people tend to see is the whole piece and not the details. I'm not kidding. I'll be wincing at something I did and the person I did it for will tell me how wonderful it is. I fret over stuff that no one ever notices unless they are also finish carpenters. And I admire DIY jobs that come out looking as good as yours did because I know what it takes to get it there.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2013 :  21:55:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might build "Rail 2.0" at some point. Not soon, but someday. I'll take what you've said into consideration.

It wasn't so expensive that I'd take the time/effort to dig the putty out and replace it with plugs. It's four 1x2s and eight 1x3s, all bought six feet long from Home Depot (I think the lumber itself was under $30). Cheap pine.

Heck, the MDF ran eight bucks and change for a 4x8' sheet cut down to size by a Home Depot guy (who got the dimensions just right, too). So if I feel the need for a different color/material for the table top itself, it's a cheap weekend project. Well, cheap if you go with craft felt, and not something fancy like micro-suede.

What made this particular project expensive is that I bought a miter box to cut the corners of the top rails, and a set of countersink drill bits. And a $15 strap clamp to make sure the rail is firmly set on the table. But I don't have to buy those things over again if I want to make another (or better) rail for this particular table.

And I bought too much felt. When I ordered the felt, I was thinking I'd be building the rail with the table's leaf in place, making the table 80" long instead of 61". The longer table would have required three yards of felt. But my wife remarked that we rarely have enough game-players to need the leaf, so shorter is normal, and all I needed was two yards of material. I've got enough spare felt to redo the table right now. Luckily, the cat seems uninterested in using the table top for scratching, so I think the spare felt is going to be stored for quite some time.

Oh, the stain was pricey. I could have gone cheaper there but the less-expensive stains seemed to require a lot more work and/or drying time. I couldn't leave the piece out in my backyard for days to do multiple coats, 'cause my backyard is a tiny, unfenced townhouse lot with lots of people walking by. Even being left outside for just a couple hours, it was getting nature all over it (insects and bits of leaves seemed to be attracted to it) while the stain was drying. Still stank up the basement pretty bad after I brought it inside. And the next day I was still rubbing off uncured stain. I want to shine it up with some furniture polish, but I think I'll let it cure for a whole month before doing that experiment.

And yeah, I know I'm my own worst critic. Most people are.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.