New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2013 :  05:48:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I might build "Rail 2.0" at some point. Not soon, but someday. I'll take what you've said into consideration.

It wasn't so expensive that I'd take the time/effort to dig the putty out and replace it with plugs. It's four 1x2s and eight 1x3s, all bought six feet long from Home Depot (I think the lumber itself was under $30). Cheap pine.

Heck, the MDF ran eight bucks and change for a 4x8' sheet cut down to size by a Home Depot guy (who got the dimensions just right, too). So if I feel the need for a different color/material for the table top itself, it's a cheap weekend project. Well, cheap if you go with craft felt, and not something fancy like micro-suede.

What made this particular project expensive is that I bought a miter box to cut the corners of the top rails, and a set of countersink drill bits. And a $15 strap clamp to make sure the rail is firmly set on the table. But I don't have to buy those things over again if I want to make another (or better) rail for this particular table.

And I bought too much felt. When I ordered the felt, I was thinking I'd be building the rail with the table's leaf in place, making the table 80" long instead of 61". The longer table would have required three yards of felt. But my wife remarked that we rarely have enough game-players to need the leaf, so shorter is normal, and all I needed was two yards of material. I've got enough spare felt to redo the table right now. Luckily, the cat seems uninterested in using the table top for scratching, so I think the spare felt is going to be stored for quite some time.

Oh, the stain was pricey. I could have gone cheaper there but the less-expensive stains seemed to require a lot more work and/or drying time. I couldn't leave the piece out in my backyard for days to do multiple coats, 'cause my backyard is a tiny, unfenced townhouse lot with lots of people walking by. Even being left outside for just a couple hours, it was getting nature all over it (insects and bits of leaves seemed to be attracted to it) while the stain was drying. Still stank up the basement pretty bad after I brought it inside. And the next day I was still rubbing off uncured stain. I want to shine it up with some furniture polish, but I think I'll let it cure for a whole month before doing that experiment.

And yeah, I know I'm my own worst critic. Most people are.

I'm your worst critic, this is terrible start over!:)

If you are going to redo it though I suggest a magnetic dry erase surface.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2013 :  07:08:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

I don't do any gaming that needs such a surface.

Felt makes cards soooo easy to pick up, too.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2013 :  10:34:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I don't do any gaming that needs such a surface.

Felt makes cards soooo easy to pick up, too.

I guess you can put felt on the back, I suggest Simonis 860 (gotta be the best.) Get that table up to 500$ in parts cost:)

Perhaps you don't need the magnetic but the dry erase is wonderful for keeping track of scores and other oddball things... can be painted on fairly cheaply.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2013 :  11:05:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, a while back my wife got a bunch of 8x11 stick-on white-board sheets for the walls in the room with the table, for keeping track of scores and other oddball things.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2013 :  13:27:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Actually, a while back my wife got a bunch of 8x11 stick-on white-board sheets for the walls in the room with the table, for keeping track of scores and other oddball things.

Oh, nice idea with the whiteboard. For games that keep track of the score around the edge of the board, I will instead keep track on a clipboard because it's too easy to knock the markers.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  11:15:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wil Wheaton - NOT The Flog 3 (TableTop Bonus) - Discusses five mobile versions of table-top games.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  17:41:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Wil Wheaton - NOT The Flog 3 (TableTop Bonus) - Discusses five mobile versions of table-top games.

You beat me to the post. I haven't yet played Ascension or Elder Sign. I'll give them a try in iOS. While I was at it, I noticed Stone Age in the app store; I love it in person but have yet to try it as a video game.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2013 :  14:45:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Screenshot of the editing software timeline for next week's episode, Star Wars X-Wing. That game used to be teased for "Next Week" at the tail end of the Smash-Up episode, which was S2E6, so that explains what happened to S2E7: it hasn't aired yet.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2013 :  17:36:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Stone Age app is well done and it looks nice.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  09:13:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Star Wars X-Wing is up.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2013 :  13:22:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, the name of the video for the gag reel (just went up) makes it clear that Star Wars X-Wing was episode nine, not seven.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2013 :  11:05:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure how handy you are with wood but here's some more ideas for your gaming table,

Use a biscut cutter to make card slots for standing cards in front of you.

Make a second shallow/wide slot for holding things like scrabble/majong/domino tiles

Extra wide slots for full decks

Drink holders!!! Prefarably on the outside. Some kind of dollar store clip on thing Im sure can work, can double as holder for game peices when not in use.

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2013 :  11:07:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since your rail isnt attached, might as well make game specific rails! Man I gotta stop thinking about this before I find myself at home depot.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2013 :  11:51:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, crap. Nobody plays Tartars & Martyrs anymore?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2013 :  12:45:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Not sure how handy you are with wood but here's some more ideas for your gaming table,

Use a biscut cutter to make card slots for standing cards in front of you.

Make a second shallow/wide slot for holding things like scrabble/majong/domino tiles

Extra wide slots for full decks

Drink holders!!! Prefarably on the outside. Some kind of dollar store clip on thing Im sure can work, can double as holder for game peices when not in use.
The wife is insisting on cup-holders, but I haven't figured out how best to mount 'em, yet.

There's a lot more ideas if you look at the tables I can't afford. "The Sultan," properly configured, would cost more than my car. (TableTop, the show, uses a donated Geek Chic table, and one of the Geek Chic guys is in one of the episodes.)

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds.