Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  23:10:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I set up a wakeup call again, only this time I got up. The cool thing is this year they had tables set up for breakfast, they way they used to. No more fumbling with coffee and bagels and stuff.

George Hrab, Randi and D.J kicked things off.

The first talk was by Shermer. It was okay. Pretty much standard fare for him. The subject was can science inform morality. It’s my opinion that he overstated the case.
Sharon Hill gave a nice talk about how to be an honest broker when dealing with people that you don’t agree with. It’s a bit of a high wire act, though she didn’t put it that way. Karen Stollznow gave a fine talk on exorcism, and how wide spread it really is in this day and age, and not always sinister.

And well… I could just go down the program. The talks were for the most part good. My problem was that I was a little tired and sick, and had trouble staying awake. A little lower intestinal distress had gotten hold of me, and I had to make too many trips to take care of other matters not having to do with the talks. I had four coffees which probably didn’t help matters. Sigh. Lunch finally came and I went light on that. Tim arrived just when they were cleaning up, and was able to grab a lunch and make the afternoon session.

Susan Blackmore and Missimo Pigliucci and Susan Jacoby were the highlights of the afternoon session. There was also a good panel discussion and some preview of the movie “An Honest liar” about James Randi. There were other great talks, but I was I a battle with myself just to pay attention with my stomach acting up.

We had dinner with Sastra (Susan) a few of her friends, Tim, Torsten and me. It turned out to be fun. I felt better by then having taken something for what ailed me. Back to the Garden Buffet.

Then Tim and I wandered down to the Del Mar and hung out for a while. Penn’s party is tonight. I think we're going to pass in favor of being a bit more human tomorrow. (Less sick, in my case.)

This might be a party, but a really good night’s sleep might make tomorrows sessions a lot more fun, as in I might stay in the hall and awake for them.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  23:31:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How could you miss reporting that James Randi got married?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2013 :  06:29:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

How could you miss reporting that James Randi got married?
Oh yeah. Honestly? It's true that he got a small standing ovation but it didn't seem like that big of a deal. I guess it should have.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2013 :  12:12:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will you get me a surprise this year too?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2013 :  20:43:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Will you get me a surprise this year too?
I'm bad. I freely admit it. I really must pull my finger out on that one.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2013 :  20:52:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will update you later tonight. It seems I'm a bit sick. It was all I could do to stay awake today during the sessions. But I have enough story to tell.

I don't think I've ever drunk as much coffee as I did today. Both Torsten and Tim are leaving tomorrow morning. That's pretty much because of work and the only flights they could get.

I'll check back later tonight.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2013 :  07:12:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or later this afternoon. I kinda crashed yesterday. Hmmmm...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2013 :  18:53:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay. TAM is officially over. Again, I'll try to get back here and go through the events I have missed. If it happens that I don't, I will from home tomorrow afternoon. But really, I'll try.

It was an emotional ending. That much I can tell you. Not like any TAM I have been to.

Oh yeah. There is the Challenge tonight, but I'll probably skip it. Tell you the truth, it's a bit like watching paint dry. Very slow... And much more than usual, I've had a problem staying awake.

Duh!

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2013 :  22:11:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Home. The day started fine but turned into the day from hell. Our flight was delayed by 6 hours, which included waiting for it, boarding, being asked to unboard because of a mechanical problem, waiting for them to get another plane, boarding and finally going. Then I learned that I had a dead battery in my truck so my roommate could not pick me up. I left all of my chargers in the room, something I never do, but then I also never drink as much black label and beer as I did at the Del Mar party after TAM. I called the hotel and they told me to call during business hours and they will send me the chargers. I took a shuttle home from the airport which sucks, and I guess I have to buy a new battery for my truck (even though I would have known how to start it without fucking up the battery... But that's not a story worth telling.)

I'll be filling in the missing stuff tomorrow. I have a splitting headache now, which might have something to do with last night.

Anyhow, I'm back.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

froydnslp

22 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2013 :  22:48:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send froydnslp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
UGH! Ok, time's up! Tell us what happened at TAM! Why was it an emotional ending? What was the main topic of conversation? Was there a theme at TAM? You better give us some hints or at least send me an email telling me everything or you'll get the wrath. I mean it. I will so wrath you up. Spill, Mr. Spill!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2013 :  23:19:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TAM was overrun with SFNers.

Boron10, ThorGoLucky, and Kil.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2013 :  00:18:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by froydnslp

UGH! Ok, time's up! Tell us what happened at TAM! Why was it an emotional ending? What was the main topic of conversation? Was there a theme at TAM? You better give us some hints or at least send me an email telling me everything or you'll get the wrath. I mean it. I will so wrath you up. Spill, Mr. Spill!
Yeah. I will. Cool your jets, lady.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2013 :  05:32:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering what was the number of people who came this year? Any idea.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2013 :  06:17:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How did you get Batboy printed on your badge?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2013 :  08:56:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

I'm wondering what was the number of people who came this year? Any idea.
What I heard was it was somewhere around 1100. That would be close to last year, but down from TAM9 when attendance peaked. There are various reasons for that, including controversy, but also there was a distinct lack of star power this year, which did not affect the quality of the talks at all. But you know... Some people go to see Dawkins or Neil deGrasse Tyson and people like that. There were more "First TAMers" than usual I think. I'm not sure. Someone told me there were nearly 500 of them. I doubt that figure. There are always a few hundred or so. But 500 seems rather high.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.