Green Vax
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  02:23:08  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  06:49:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. Thanks for addressing that well-meaning yet dangerous ingnorami.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  08:35:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

Indeed. Thanks for addressing that well-meaning yet dangerous ingnorami.

Thanks, Thor!

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  10:51:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A childhood friend who is an anti-vaxer once told me during our discussion on the topic, that he believed that the human body can only develop immunity to a limited number of diseases. Like there are only so many slots. I did not bother to ask him how he came to know this or what that number was. I had already lost enough life getting to that point. I backed out of the discussion and cut my losses. As Kenny Rodgers sang, "You got to know when to fold them and know when to run"

If opinions and beliefs don't smell right, it just might be because the speaker or someone their parroting pulled them ideas out of their ass. I'm thinking it's a good practice to not have anything that came out of someone's ass go through your ears, bounce around in your brain and come out of your mouth. Obviously Jenny Mccarthy holds on such prohibition.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  12:14:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

A childhood friend who is an anti-vaxer once told me during our discussion on the topic, that he believed that the human body can only develop immunity to a limited number of diseases. Like there are only so many slots. ...
Your childhood friend's misunderstanding, I think, points out how very little most people know about vaccines, and immunity in general.

It's my understanding that some immunities are genetically inherited from lucky hominid ancestors who, due to a lucky mutation, may have been among the few in their troop or tribe to survive some new virus.

Other immunities are passed down from our mothers in the form of antigens created by the mother's immune response in surviving a viral infection. (We get these through our mother's breast, in the form of colostrum. This is rather weak protection, usually lasting only a few weeks.)

Third, we ourselves may have an enormously lucky new mutation that just happens to protect us.

Fourth, we may be protected by a vaccine.

But the full majesty and power of our immune system is apparent when a completely novel virus infects us, yet our immune system recognizes this virus as an intruder. It crafts a customized defense plan to defeat the virus. Think of this last wonder. Like a computer anti-virus application that uses a regularly updated database of virus definitions, existing antigens alert our immune system to react speedily with a proven response to a known threat. But our immune system also has an analogy to the "heuristics" part of computer anti-virus programs. It can analyze, recognize and defend against totally unknown intruders. (This takes some time, and the response may be too late.)

This last is the feature we utilize when we vaccinate people with a weakened virus, or harmless virus particles. The body reacts defensively, but there is no real attack that might otherwise overwhelm our immune systems before they craft a defense. Vaccines don't kill disease; they simply tell the body what a particular new enemy looks like, and let the awesome natural power of our immune system destroy it.

In summary, there is no upper limit for the number of antigen or vaccine "slots." Our immune systems are way more clever than your childhood friend.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/27/2013 12:17:21
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2013 :  10:11:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, for the most part, I totally agree Mooner. Where I might disagree, it's probably do to minor differences in definition or semantics which would not change our similar positions on the efficacy and overall safety of vaccines.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2013 :  10:58:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes, for the most part, I totally agree Mooner. Where I might disagree, it's probably do to minor differences in definition or semantics which would not change our similar positions on the efficacy and overall safety of vaccines.
Along with having bit of a spine, I also have some flexibility. I'd be intrigued to see your further thoughts on this. I can't presume to guess what they are at the present time, ss, or even guess whether they involve aspects of the graphic in the OP, or my later rant.

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  10:48:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Along with having bit of a spine, I also have some flexibility. I'd be intrigued to see your further thoughts on this. I can't presume to guess what they are at the present time, ss, or even guess whether they involve aspects of the graphic in the OP, or my later rant.
Sorry for the delay in replying, I suffered a bout of Life Interruptus. Mooner, your OP was was not what I was replying to with my previous post in this thread. Your OP was the usual creative Mooner post with your usual poignant wit. My reply, quoted above, was in response to your later post, which I wouldn't label as a rant. At the time I didn't have a full or complete understanding of immunity. I did not consider genetic traits as contributors or agents driving immunity. That's was why I said "minor differences in definition or semantics". Have put in the time to read op on the topic I no longer hold any reservations to what you wrote. Interestingly enough I've come to understand the "immunity" is way more diversely caused than I would have ever previously defined. Simply put I was only considering the human capacity for acquired immunity either active or passive under the umbrella of immunity, with you mentioned. I didn't realize that there are other mechanisms of immunity, like genetic imm. or chemical imm.. Thanks for your "rant", Mooner. It caused me to research the topic further and gain new knowledge.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  23:57:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Sorry for the delay in replying, I suffered a bout of Life Interruptus. Mooner, your OP was was not what I was replying to with my previous post in this thread. Your OP was the usual creative Mooner post with your usual poignant wit. My reply, quoted above, was in response to your later post, which I wouldn't label as a rant. At the time I didn't have a full or complete understanding of immunity. I did not consider genetic traits as contributors or agents driving immunity. That's was why I said "minor differences in definition or semantics". Have put in the time to read op on the topic I no longer hold any reservations to what you wrote. Interestingly enough I've come to understand the "immunity" is way more diversely caused than I would have ever previously defined. Simply put I was only considering the human capacity for acquired immunity either active or passive under the umbrella of immunity, with you mentioned. I didn't realize that there are other mechanisms of immunity, like genetic imm. or chemical imm.. Thanks for your "rant", Mooner. It caused me to research the topic further and gain new knowledge.
Thanks for the reply, ss! Yes, immunity as a subject is extraordinarily complex. I hadn't specially researched what I wrote in the latter post, because I felt moderately sure I was remembering correctly, and perhaps because there are people here ready to make (usually) polite corrections to any errors.

Thanks for doing the research that I omitted in that instance!

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2013 :  13:02:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes, immunity as a subject is extraordinarily complex.
It's more complex than I thought a few days ago. I would not have thought that skin is an part of one's immune system but it is in fact a "nonspecific" part. Yes it is extraordinarily complex.

Real time bacteria defense.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2013 :  02:10:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes, immunity as a subject is extraordinarily complex.
It's more complex than I thought a few days ago. I would not have thought that skin is an part of one's immune system but it is in fact a "nonspecific" part. Yes it is extraordinarily complex.

Real time bacteria defense.
Thanks for the video links. I've now learned something new today. (Wonder what I've forgotten to make storage room for the new info?)

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2013 :  05:48:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I've now learned something new today. (Wonder what I've forgotten to make storage room for the new info?)
Easy now. That kind of speculation and not misunderstanding of how memory works could lead people to think that the immune system can only develop immunity to a limited number of diseases. Like there are only so many slots or that there had to be a God that supernaturally created everything.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2013 :  06:31:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I've now learned something new today. (Wonder what I've forgotten to make storage room for the new info?)
Easy now. That kind of speculation and not misunderstanding of how memory works could lead people to think that the immune system can only develop immunity to a limited number of diseases. Like there are only so many slots or that there had to be a God that supernaturally created everything.
Okay, point taken. For the record, the immune system does NOT operate much like this old man's memory.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds.