Biggest Cross in the Western Hemisphere
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2013 :  06:52:06  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be built in my neck of the woods:

http://www.wkrg.com/story/23785183/baldwin-county-group-planning-record-giant-cross

I'm sure Jesus would have wanted $750,000 used to build this icon instead of, oh I don't know, feeding the poor.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2013 :  08:43:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No fine ointments for you Pal!

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2013 :  08:50:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

http://www.wkrg.com/story/23785183/baldwin-county-group-planning-record-giant-cross

I'm sure Jesus would have wanted $750,000 used to build this icon instead of, oh I don't know, feeding the poor.

It's not like Groom, TX has to be put in it's place.......

But, people can do whatever they want with their money.

Feed the poor.
Go to Vegas.
Build a big freakin cross because Groom, TX needs to learn a lesson.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2013 :  09:30:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well sure, feeding the poor is good and all, but look they are going to have the biggest erection along this part of the coast.

It looks like touchdown Jesus was replace with another large, though not nearly as amusing, Jesus statue.

edited: spell check fail

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Edited by - moakley on 10/25/2013 09:31:17
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2013 :  11:25:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it's made of wood, it might burn?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2013 :  12:05:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

It's not about feeding the poor. Like the saying goes, it pays to advertize and this is about bringing in the sheaves $heep.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2013 :  07:14:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I commented, it will be hideous like a giant gallows or guillotine.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2013 :  14:25:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will it have lightning protection? It would seem counter productive, because it wouldn't let God smite the cross if He felt like it. Didn't they learn their lesson from the Tower of Babel?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2013 :  05:01:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another big thing. Another apparent big gift from God. Another big work of mysterious ways.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Convinced
Skeptic Friend

USA
384 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2013 :  12:30:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Convinced a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They say it is God's project so who can argue with that? They are also promising miracles. The problem with direct revelation claims is it puts others in a no win situation. If you don't believe them then you are disagreeing with God himself with no proof that the person actually heard from God. Nowhere in the Bible does Jesus say "go build me a 230 foot cross and a gift shop." I do believe people can hear directly from God but it needs to line up with scripture or it should be rejected as not from God.

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. (Eph 5:15-17)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.