How an evangelical preacher became an atheist
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2013 :  20:35:12  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-91oN4Km5U

You may already be familiar with Dan Barker, but I don't know that I've ever heard a story like this. I've heard lots of stories from preachers claiming to have been atheists in the past, but not the other way around. Pretty interesting perspective

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus

Edited by - Machi4velli on 10/10/2013 20:36:46

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2013 :  22:17:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very cool topic, Machi4'. That played thru fast for me, I was into it. I have no time for a comment. Life calls, I want to but time does not permit. Good video witnessing. It's late here.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2013 :  17:30:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Matt Dillahunty of the Atheist Community of Austin was raised a fundamentalist christian and studying to become a preacher. His studies lead him to Atheism because as he puts it he cares whether what he believes in is true or false. You might find this interesting if you haven't seen it before, Machi4velli.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  08:38:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Not a preacher, but a missionary (close enough for me), Daniel Everett would be another one. He was converted by one of the South American tribes he was with, they don't believe anything without evidence.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2013 :  18:28:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not really a fan of Dillahunty, he always seems arrogant to me, probably more due to the format of his show being with call-ins, which I think probably discourages reasoned discussion, as opposed to actual arrogance. But it is interesting that he was so religious at one time, I wouldn't have guessed.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

-Albert Camus
Edited by - Machi4velli on 10/14/2013 18:34:01
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2013 :  18:29:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

Not a preacher, but a missionary (close enough for me), Daniel Everett would be another one. He was converted by one of the South American tribes he was with, they don't believe anything without evidence.

Interesting tribe! I don't understand why this guy's family would shut him out like that just for believing differently. Not a level of fundamentalism with which I've ever dealt I guess...

-Giordano Bruno

-Stephen Hawking

-Albert Camus
Edited by - Machi4velli on 10/14/2013 18:30:12
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2013 :  22:36:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli

Not really a fan of Dillahunty, he always seems arrogant to me, probably more due to the format of his show being with call-ins, which I think probably discourages reasoned discussion, as opposed to actual arrogance. But it is interesting that he was so religious at one time, I wouldn't have guessed.
I wouldn't call it "his show" but the show's format does discourage reasoned discussion at times. You do raise an interesting point. The format does accept callers as they come. When a caller is incapable at having a reasoned discussion, then that's what we get. That's not the show's fault. What I trying to say is to assure reasoned discussions they would have to not accept callers inept at doing so.

If he does come off arrogant, maybe it's a pattern learned or which developed having spent most of his life as a theist. I'd like to see an example of what anyone might have as one.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.