Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2014 :  12:34:09  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is an intriguing nomination. I am interested in how the decision will go.

Deutsche Welle article

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2014 :  20:14:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2014 :  11:54:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good choice!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2014 :  13:15:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree.

He exposed a huge domestic spying operation to the American public. One that goes counter to the 4th Amendment and FISA.

What he did was patriotic. And like quite a few of the early patriots of this nation, he suffered greatly.

From what I saw, he revealed no troop movements, placed no operatives in danger by naming them, nor revealed to the enemy anything that they could use to thwart the effort.

Unless one classifies all American citizens as enemies of the state (which is a scary thought in and of itself and a reason for the 2nd Amendment), he did nothing treasonous.

He deserves to be nominated for the Nobel prize.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2014 :  16:39:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

What he did was patriotic. And like quite a few of the early patriots of this nation, he suffered greatly.

That sounds like the requirements for a hero.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  02:15:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
His revelations had a larger impact internationally. Spying on your own citizens damage your country on a national level, but spying on world leaders like presidents of your NATO allies, or political opponents like Russia, is bad. I'm ashamed for the part my country is playing in all of this.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  17:03:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think revealing domestic spying or preserving the U.S. Constitution are things Nobel would care about. I'm not entirely sure what much of anything he did has a whole lot to do with peace (I'm in no way denigrating what he did). Maybe I'm defining it more narrowly than they do (for example, I still have no idea why President Obama won it).

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Edited by - Machi4velli on 02/03/2014 17:04:23
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  22:36:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to put some perspective on this, all the asshats in the U.S. Congress are qualified to nominate people for the Peace Prize. An order-of-magnitude guess puts the number of people qualified to nominate for this prize at 100,000, world-wide. There are no restrictions on how many people a single qualified individual can nominate, nor does it seem like nominating a boatload of bigoted ideologues will get one's future nominations black-balled. Given that "The short list typically contains from twenty to thirty candidates," the full list of nominees is probably in the hundreds, each and every year. There's no requirement that a nomination be accompanied by a press release or other fanfare - all that's needed is an email.

There's plenty of concern that the selection of the winners is political, but there should be no doubt whatsoever that many of the nominations are.

Fifty years from now, when the Committee makes its 2014 nominations public, we will find out that all sorts of jerkwads have been nominated. And because the nominees are held secret for so long, I'll bet ten inflation-adjusted bucks that the list of nominees for this year will include at least one right-wing warmongerer from the U.S. I won't be surprised if two appear on the list, each having nominated the other.

(I have less confidence that Ted Nugent will have been nominated, but that's the first name that sprung to mind. More likely: George W. Bush.)

(Added to to-do list: befriend a Congresscritter with a good sense of humor, so that I can truthfully say I've been nominated.)

My point is simply that nominations are a dime-a-dozen, and public announcements of nominations do nothing to guarantee the nominee even a serious consideration (the "short list").

...Took a while, but I finally found the database of nominations for the Peace Prize, 1901-1956. And in '56, there's at least one guy who didn't merit serious consideration:
He has discovered the fundamentals of Peace amongst various races whose Creeds differ, namely - accepting the One Harmonizing Fact of One Great Spirit.
I'm guessing that as international communications have gotten easier (email!), the incidence of non-evaluated nominees has skyrocketed. It's a pattern that repeats all over the place (YouTube comments, etc.). I wonder if the database will even contain entries of people nominated by copy-and-pasted Tweets or Facebook posts. The Nobel Committee will, inevitably (if they haven't already), have to figure out that filters are good things and not just anyone deserves to even be able to say they'll be included in that database.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2014 :  23:06:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those who wish to sign a petition to put Mr. Snowden on the Nobel short list.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2014 :  03:18:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To what extent has this man's actions impacted global peace so far?

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2014 :  08:09:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

To what extent has this man's actions impacted global peace so far?

For what it's worth (absolutely nothing, as a matter of fact and sadly enough), the president of USA promised that NSA and CIA will not tap the phone of presidents of other allies.

We have all been made aware of how extensive the electronic surveillande is. Knowing about it is the first step of either ignoring it, or taking steps to eventually make it less intrusive.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2014 :  08:43:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
is there any evidence that the act of tapping has a positive or negative effect on peace?

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2014 :  17:54:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

For what it's worth (absolutely nothing, as a matter of fact and sadly enough), the president of USA promised that NSA and CIA will not tap the phone of presidents of other allies.

We have all been made aware of how extensive the electronic surveillande is. Knowing about it is the first step of either ignoring it, or taking steps to eventually make it less intrusive.

I don't see it, maybe someone can say, how was or is there any benefit going forward?
Does anyone really think it change anything? Yes we now have proof of their massive spying on any person on the planet they choose but how does that change anything? Am I missing something? We see that America tortures people, no law national or international is above national security and no amount of control or oversight is effective. That has been demonstrated and proven. The fucking people running the show behind closed doors, shielded in secrecy are above the law, period. Does any one see this differently? As far as I see it Snowden threw his life away for absolutely nothing tangible.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2014 :  04:34:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me it's not a surprise that the USA tortures and spies on people. Were people really so naive and comfortable in their suburban lives that they thought spying and torture suddenly stopped in the mid half of the 20th century after being in common practice for all recordable human history?
The only thing Snowden did was bring some spying out in the open and therefore slightly embarass the USA. I'm sure everyone who has the means will continue to spy on as many people as they can. And I'm not sure that it's a bad thing. i'd rather the US intelligence service had a leg up on the rest of the world. The USA isn't perfect but I'd rather they stay ahead of China in terms of power. If spying is a way of doing that then maybe it's not a bad thing.

Discuss.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2014 :  13:56:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

For me it's not a surprise that the USA tortures and spies on people.
For someone who thinks the end justify the means, it's no surprise to me that you're not surprised.
It's no surprise to me either, but for a very different reason.

Were people really so naive and comfortable in their suburban lives that they thought spying and torture suddenly stopped in the mid half of the 20th century after being in common practice for all recordable human history?
Hell yes. USA are the good guys. Americans wouldn't do such things!

The only thing Snowden did was bring some spying out in the open and therefore slightly embarass the USA.
Which is a nobel cause in and of itself, in my opinion. (did you hear that, NSA? I wish your great country embarressment!)

I'm sure everyone who has the means will continue to spy on as many people as they can.
I'm sure of that too, that's why I'm for restricting those means.

And I'm not sure that it's a bad thing.
I am. The East German STAZI shows us how bad things can get when data collection and its use get out of hand. NSA and CIA are just government bodies. Google and FaceBook knows a lot more about you than you know or care to admit, and are trading your information for profit. The problem with that is that Corporations aren't working on democratic principles. Those are plutocratic, which means that only those who have a shitload of money gets to dictate how your information is being used.
Mega Corporations are like dictatorship countries except they are borderless, and almost everywhere.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2014 :  17:44:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So how do you feel about the USA being embarrassed into ceasing all spying and torturing, while it's global enemies are free to continue?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds.