Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2014 :  22:36:51  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hemant Mehta reports that Nate Phelps posted on Facebook:
I've learned that my father, Fred Phelps, Sr., pastor of the "God Hates Fags" Westboro Baptist Church, was ex-communicated from the "church" back in August of 2013. He is now on the edge of death at Midland Hospice house in Topeka, Kansas.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Terribly ironic that his devotion to his god ends this way. Destroyed by the monster he made.

I feel sad for all the hurt he's caused so many. I feel sad for those who will lose the grandfather and father they loved. And I'm bitterly angry that my family is blocking the family members who left from seeing him, and saying their good-byes.
And he later added in the comments,
The ex-communicated part is still not clear to me. I only have hearsay on the reason, and two different versions, so I won't comment at this point other than to say he was moved into another house and watched over so he wouldn't harm himself.
Nate Phelps is obviously going through a lot of conflicted emotions, but some insensitive asshats still just had to comment about how they're celebrating Fred Phelps' upcoming demise.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2014 :  08:09:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

As usual, I will not celebrate the death of anyone. Instead, I will mourn a life that was thoroughly wasted. A human mind and body can do so much good, and that is admirable. They can do nothing, and that's fine if all they want is a quiet life. But to use one's life to ruin other lives, for reasons that have no basis in reality, is a crime against humanity.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2014 :  15:42:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Care to meet up to demonstrate at his funeral?

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2014 :  05:21:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The WBC is being evasive.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2014 :  05:51:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

Hank Fox would prefer you not, but might be amendable to a party there after the mourners are gone.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2014 :  09:18:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two thoughts. He's dying alone ostracized by his family and church? Send those resurrection dreamers over and let them keep him company. Seeing how all his holier-than-thou family won't be stopping by. They can be there "johnny on the spot" ready to reanimate him every time his eyes flutter shut. Then there won't ever be a need for demonstrations or a funeral.

Two, Why can't this be a time for celebration? He should be anxiously waiting his just reward as I'm sure he's expects he's deserving of after death. Wasn't everything he did done so he can be deserving of God's gift of eternal life? Let's face it, he lived his life emulating the character of the God he worshiped more closely than other Christians who dismiss all God's character flaws by simply not addressing them and ignoring how God is anything but all loving and all merciful. If his God is real this creation of his should be very welcomed in to heaven. So much so he's deserving of an extra large halo to parade about that Jeweled and Golden city with. Maybe God could place it on him Himself, how special would that be? What a sight to behold that would be, trumpets and all.

Let's do some math. With over 7 billion people on the planet and an estimated 2.4 billion Christians that leaves 5 billion people alive today who will absolutely be sent to Hell for an eternity by this all loving and all merciful narcissist God, because they were not raised or became a Christians while alive. Even with those 2.4 billion Christians they collectively all know not all of them are true Christians given such variations of the dogma across them. For a supreme Being with a plan when he set up this paradise on earth, something is way wrong with this version of reality. I really wish theists would stop ignoring all the "truths and believed facts" that don't add up. I wish they would start by being honest with themselves, that would be a good start.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2014 :  11:01:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by Randy

Hank Fox would prefer you not, but might be amendable to a party there after the mourners are gone.
I guess my feeling is fuck him. Don't let the door hit you in the ass Fred Phelps. No celebration. No protest. Nothing. Just good-bye and good riddance. That's good enough for me.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2014 :  14:50:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You and Paul Fidalgo, Kil: When Fred Phelps Dies, Let’s Do Nothing.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2014 :  09:26:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elders excommunicate Phelps after power struggle, call for kindness within church:
Pastor Fred Waldron Phelps Sr. was excommunicated from the Westboro Baptist Church after advocating a kinder approach between church members.

The excommunication occurred after the formation of a board of male elders in the church. The board had defeated Shirley Phelps-Roper, the church’s longtime spokeswoman, in a power struggle, and Fred Phelps Sr. called for kinder treatment of fellow church members.

The board then ejected Fred Phelps Sr., who founded the church in the 1950s...

After Phelps was voted out of Westboro Baptist Church this past summer, he was moved out of the church and into a house, Nate Phelps said.
Bolding mine. They managed to keep the excommunication out of the news for eight months or so. Not bad.
Drain acknowledged Fred Phelps Sr. has been admitted to Midland Care Hospice, adding he "has a couple things going on" but disputed the gravity of his health.

"The source that says he's near death is not well informed," Drain said Sunday.
Time will tell, of course.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2014 :  10:23:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2014 :  10:25:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/20/us/westboro-church-founder-dead/

Fred Phelps is dead.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2014 :  16:46:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An appreciation:
“What Fred Phelps accomplished over the past 30 years—from a federal constitutional amendment limiting marriage to one man and one woman, to nationwide laws allowing businesses to turn away gay customers—makes him easily one of the most successful and monumental figures of the past century,” said biographer Michael Ammons, noting that depictions of gays and lesbians began to disappear from popular culture and the media as soon as Phelps began taking his powerful rallies against homosexuality from state to state. “Fred Phelps devoted his life to one goal, and he triumphed. This was an incredibly influential man who deserved all the attention he received. Think of the legacy he leaves behind: In the past three decades, homosexuality has become practically nonexistent in society.”

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2014 :  19:14:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

An appreciation:
“What Fred Phelps accomplished over the past 30 years—from a federal constitutional amendment limiting marriage to one man and one woman, to nationwide laws allowing businesses to turn away gay customers—makes him easily one of the most successful and monumental figures of the past century,” said biographer Michael Ammons, noting that depictions of gays and lesbians began to disappear from popular culture and the media as soon as Phelps began taking his powerful rallies against homosexuality from state to state. “Fred Phelps devoted his life to one goal, and he triumphed. This was an incredibly influential man who deserved all the attention he received. Think of the legacy he leaves behind: In the past three decades, homosexuality has become practically nonexistent in society.”

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2014 :  21:18:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anodios, Fred.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2014 :  03:30:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nate Phelps Issues Public Statement After His Father’s Death

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2014 :  08:34:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the WBC protested at a concert yesterday, and counter-protesters held up a sign that read "Sorry For Your Loss." Church spokesman Steve Drain apparently has so little compassion that he doesn't know it when it's aimed at him, because he said to a reporter, "I don't even know what they're saying."

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.