Gluten
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2014 :  19:41:30  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whats your opinion on the gluten free fad?

I've noticed products being marketed as gluten free, and gluten free options being available almost everywhere. I can't say it's a dishonest practice to clearly label foods, but it seems wrong somehow to play into people's fears about a gluten intolerance or allergy that really doesn't exist outside 1% of the population. Gluten info should be on a par with nut allergy information.
A counter argument I've hear dis that wheat is essentially useless empty calories and everyone would do well to avoid it. So clear labeling is advantageous.

Thoughts?

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2014 :  22:02:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of the marketing is utterly ridiculous. Seeing "gluten free" on a package of something that would never contain gluten sets my eyes to rolling. "Gluten free" peanuts (the package also says, "may contain nuts," FFS). If the goal is to "clearly label foods," then we need a label which lists every single dietary protein, carb, fat, additive, vitamin, etc. for every damn food. Thousands of possible components, most of which will be listed at zero mg for any particular item. That would be "clear" without playing into the hands of food-panic marketers.

Otherwise, we get "gluten-free, lactose-free, trans-fat-free, nut-free, heart-healthy, low-fat, organic pure sugar." Duh, duh, duh, duh, duh!

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2014 :  05:50:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gluten free labled fresh cukes.

I shit you not.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2014 :  08:41:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Gluten free labled fresh cukes.

I shit you not.
And salt!

Here's an article on this site about gluten free about the origins of the gluten free fad. Interestingly, it's tied to the anti vaccination movement:

Free the Glutens, or When a Cookie isn't Just a Cookie

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2014 :  18:53:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At Costco today, I discovered that they're labeling the Cheerios as "GMO-Free."

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2014 :  08:58:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

At Costco today, I discovered that they're labeling the Cheerios as "GMO-Free."
Yes. They caved. A bad sign. And since there was very little in the way of GMOs in cheerios to begin with, it's a marketing thing, and they came right out and said so:

The One and Only Cheerios

Did we change Cheerios?

No. Not really.

Original Cheerios has always been made with whole grain oats, and there are no GMO oats. We do use a small amount of corn starch in cooking, and just one gram of sugar per serving for taste. And now that corn starch comes only from non-GM corn, and our sugar is only non-GM pure cane sugar.

What changed is how we source and handle certain ingredients in our plants.

Why change anything at all? It’s simple. We did it because we think consumers may embrace it.

General Mills offers non-GM choices in most of our major categories in the U.S., and now we can say the same about the ingredients in original Cheerios.

But it’s not about safety. Biotech seeds, also known as genetically modified seeds, have been approved by global food safety agencies and widely used by farmers in global food crops for almost 20 years.

And then there is this:

Americans Still Aren't Buying GMO-Free Gospel. Just Ask General Mills.

“We did it because we think consumers may embrace it,” General Mills spokesman Tom Forsythe recently told Reuters. “But it is a sizable investment. And it wasn’t as easy as people think. It would be difficult, if not impossible, to do the same with our other products.”

But there’s tremendous pressure on all food companies to submit to GMO orthodoxy though there’s no substantiation of any harm from GMO crops; even the United Nations World Health Organization can’t find any. Activists have been relentless in hounding American food companies to submit to their demands despite the clear evidence that most U.S. consumers just don’t care about the issue.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  14:53:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I give up. FailBlog found grass-fed cod.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  19:44:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Okay, I give up. FailBlog found grass-fed cod.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.