The Pope's Visit to The USA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  12:04:23  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I posted this on my Facebook wall but thought I'd share it here too. I transcribed Noah Lugeons' diatribe from The Scathing Atheist #137 with a few grammar and readability corrections. He uses much more sarcasm, hyperbole, and, um, "colorful language", than I would use, ha!

Time will tell if this pope will actually make lasting positive changes to an historically corrupt institution. Popes have been assassinated in the past, and me thinks that may well happen if substantive change is actually pushed. Hope springs eternal.

http://scathingatheist.com/2015/10/01/episode-137-shownotes/

Well dammit all to hell, I wanted to do a diatribe about the pope visiting America last week, but I just can't find a lick of coverage about it in the media. Yeah? I keep doing searches for "anti-gay, anti-trans, anti-abortion, anti-gender-equality, anti-birth-control, pro-exorcism, head of worldwide child rape cabal visits US", and I...I can't find a thing!

And then, y'know, I started figuring well maybe it's just that the Liberal sites aren't covering it, y'know, they don't buy into the religious shit as much as right-wing sites, so I started googling "pro-global-warming, anti-gun, anti-death-penalty, pro-emigration, anti-capitalist, head of worldwide child rape cabal visits US", and still...nothing!

Eventually I figured out what the problem was: Apparently some moral icon that's a paragon of humanitarian virtue was also visiting America at the same time and he's also named Francis, so it's probably why the media was ignoring the pope. I mean, that *must* be what happened because the only other alternative is that media groups (left, right and center) collectively decided to completely ignore all the heinous malevolent shit the catholic church actually *does* under this popes leadership, and instead focus it on a bunch of empty platitudes that in no way match the actual *actions* of said leadership.

Y'know, meanwhile Seth Bader is somewhere over there saying, "Hey guys, I also believe in global warming. Am I forgiven now? I mean, y'know, when I looked the other way, it didn't result in kids gettin' fucked over and over again."

And Josh Duggar saying, "Well yeah, some kids got fucked over and over again, but I never actively campaigned to condemn any, y'know, entire continents to a continued AIDS epidemic. Can I be forgiven too?"

And asshole hedge fund guy (Martin Shkreli) with toxoplasmosis pills is saying, "Y'know, I touched a deformed guy once, hugged him and everything, and I've never encouraged any mentally ill people to seek out wichdoctors instead of psychiatrists."

And that dentist that shot that lion (Walter Palmer) is saying, "Well, I also don't think that people should starve to death. Plus I haven't personally funded any national anti-gay marriage referendums in The Balkans."

Yet somehow this asshole drops in, he tosses out some of the most banal platitudes you can imagine, and all is forgiven. The US media becomes a fucking special ed teacher praising him for thinking humans should live, refugees should have homes, hungry people should have food, and political parties should just work together. He has the exact same talking points as a fourth grader in a beauty pageant, and yet even the progressive media is pattin' him on the back for using the potty like a big boy.

How 'bout one fucking reporter says, "Excuse me, your popiness, but recent reports strongly suggest you guys are still transferring child rapists to third world countries and then shielding them from prosecution. Um, is there a *more* evil thing that an institution can do, or is that the *most* evil thing?"

And look, y'know, I understand the concept of the bar being lowered here. The last pope (Joseph Ratzinger) couldn't go three days without condemning the Armenians or something. So this is kinda like when Obama got the Nobel Peace Prize for not being Geore W. Bush. It's not unprecedented. But still at a certain point, the honeymoon is supposed to end, right? At a certain point, we're supposed to look at what the pope has actually done about child rape, money laundering, equality within the church, and see that it's nothing, and then stop licking his balls over choosing to have lunch with homeless people rather than congressmen. I'm mean, who the fuck would rather eat with congressmen than homeless people; at least homeless people didn't steal his water glass!

But consider this: the pope has absolutely no ability to make a real difference in things like climate change, world hunger, and the Syrian refugee crisis. I mean, y'know, ok maybe a little difference. He can rally a few hearts to the cause or whatever. But when it comes down to it, the effect he can have on it is about the same as the effect that Angelina Jolie could have. But unlike Angelina, he has full autonomy to fix the problems in his own fuckin' church, and he has done nothing of substance. Nothing on the child rape pandemic, the money laundering shit, the misogyny, and the homophobia. The actual thing he's in charge of is a den of the worst kind of criminality imaginable. I mean, sure, they stopped torturing people to death a few centuries ago, and they stopped hiding Nazis once they ran out of Nazis that needed hiding, so this is probably the least immoral The Vatican has been, but that's a pretty easy bar to slither over.

Meanwhile, the asshole who won't even turn child rapists over to the police is going to come lecture the US congress on how to govern? Dude, fuck you! Your country is 1/230th the size of Disney World and everyone has the same religion. What the fuck do you know about governance? Our congress is dysfunctional, sure, but at least we arrest people who fuck children.

So what we have here is yet another way that religion gets in the way of an honest national dialogue. If the pope was the leader of a real country, a real country that didn't allow women to govern, opposed the rights of gays, demonized birth control, laundered money for mobsters, and kept sending out ambassadors that fucked kids and then holding them back and refusing to extradite 'em, no one in this country would give the slightest pity fuck about his views on climate change.

This man is at the head of one of the most morally reprehensible international institutions in the world, and has done nothing substantive to change that fact. Y'know, he's impaneled people to offer recommendations to form committees to advise encyclicals and shit. But as the Jozef Wesolowski case proved, even now their current policy on kid fuckers is to sneak them out under the cover of darkness and protect them from punishment until they die. That is their current active policy! And yet this motherfucker is trying to tell the world how to be ethical. But of course the national media isn't even paying lip service to this hypocrisy because Jesus.

Y'know, they must figure that these poor Catholics have had so much bad press and now it's their responsibility to balance that out with positive coverage instead of dwelling on the present. But you take away the fact that they, y'know, have to kiss religions ass and stuff, and you realize that they're praising NAMBLA (North American Man/Boy Love Association) for the great job they're doing with the highway they adopted!

It's like the media praising the company's environmental record based on nothing but the fact that they changed their logo to a green one. If you thought The Vatican was a corrupt institution in the 1990's, you have no reason to think any differently now. They haven't changed anything but the mascot.

Edited by - ThorGoLucky on 10/05/2015 12:05:20

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2015 :  11:09:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course those who need to read this wont. I enjoyed it .

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2015 :  14:54:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Of course those who need to read this wont. I enjoyed it .

So true. Though with such colorful language, it's meant for Team Atheist, heh.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2015 :  01:05:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love that picture...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds.