Sandy Hook
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2015 :  09:50:48  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was a hoax, of course, perpetrated by the Obama administration to take away our guns. At least, that's true according to denialists like James Tracy, Ph.D.. And he's so convinced that he's harassed the parents of one of the dead kids, demanding "proof" that the child existed and that they were his parents. And their reasonable refusal to such ridiculous demands is taken as evidence of the rightness of his position.

(He also thinks the Boston Marathon bombing was staged by the government. How far does his Crank Magnetism go?)

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2015 :  20:47:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With his logic both bushs and jimmy carter tried the same approach and it didn't work. Three year after Sandy Hook there is no change. "Fantastical claims made w/o evidence, can be dismissed w/o evidence. Carl Sagan", or as I like to say " An idiot's ideas made unsupported, can be dismissed as an idiot's idea".

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2015 :  11:04:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because anything that could possibly cause people to wise up and want reasonable gun laws is somehow a nefarious plot.
Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2015 :  01:30:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

Because anything that could possibly cause people to wise up and want reasonable gun laws is somehow a nefarious plot.

Exactly! And WE ARE talking and HAVE BEEN talking about REASONABLE gun laws and not a THEY WANT TO TAKE MY GUNS AWAY! scenario.

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Edited by - perrodetokio on 12/24/2015 01:31:27
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2016 :  21:37:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, look! Despite being a tenured professor, James Tracy's school fired his ass.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2016 :  12:43:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Oh, look! Despite being a tenured professor, James Tracy's school fired his ass.

I added a wacko entry to http://wackos.gallery/#James_Tracy

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2016 :  16:55:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Now that is something. I thought tenured meant something but apparently so did Mr. Tracy. There is a lesson here to be learned, I do believe.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2016 :  20:03:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Turns out, he got fired for failing to provide paperwork disclosing potential conflicts of interest. Or so said Florida Atlantic University.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2016 :  09:27:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
should gun control be implemented? Guns are so ubiquitous in America it seems like anyone who wants a gun to commit a crime should be able to obtain one with ease from the number that are already in circulation.

More people die in gun related gang crime than in mass shootings. Guns used in mass shootings are usually legally owned, and those crimes might be averted by gun control, as those types of people are less likely to buy guns illegally. So gun control would seem to have little affect on the main problem with is gang related shootings using illegal unregistered weapons that are being carried in public. The best way to prevent these types of crimes would seem to be a larger police presence in the affected areas, and more profiling of gang members for stop and search.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2016 :  20:35:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

So gun control would seem to have little affect on the main problem with is gang related shootings...
I'd like to know where you got your data. The FBI says that there are over twice as many shooting fatalities due to arguments than gangland and juvenile gang shooting deaths combined, in every firearm category.
The best way to prevent these types of crimes...
The best way to prevent fatal shootings at the end of non-gang-related arguments is to make sure the participants don't have guns.
...and more profiling of gang members for stop and search.
Has that ever worked? Or do the police just wind up assuming that non-white people are gang members and stop-and-search them way out of proportion to their criminal activity (as happened in New York City)?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2016 :  23:29:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So gun control would seem to have little affect on the main problem with is gang related shootings...
I'd like to know where you got your data. The FBI says that there are over twice as many shooting fatalities due to arguments than gangland and juvenile gang shooting deaths combined, in every firearm category.
The best way to prevent these types of crimes...
The best way to prevent fatal shootings at the end of non-gang-related arguments is to make sure the participants don't have guns.
...and more profiling of gang members for stop and search.
Has that ever worked? Or do the police just wind up assuming that non-white people are gang members and stop-and-search them way out of proportion to their criminal activity (as happened in New York City)?

So you're saying more people die in mass shootings than in gang incidents?

I'm not saying profile non-white people. I'm saying this:

It's reasonable to search more people who looks like a gang members than people who don't look like gang members.

Do you disagree with that? We can assume the police are intelligent enough to know what gang members look like.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2016 :  17:57:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So you're saying more people die in mass shootings than in gang incidents?
No, I'm saying that the FBI says that gang-related fatal shooting are a smallish percentage of all fatal shootings, and so gang-related fatal shootings are not, as you claimed, "the main problem." In fact, if the gangs in 2014 had all decided to lay down arms, it would have prevented a mere 8.2% of all firearm homicides that year.
I'm not saying profile non-white people. I'm saying this:

It's reasonable to search more people who looks like a gang members than people who don't look like gang members.
I know you said that. I asked you if it had ever worked in practice. Why don't you answer that question?
Do you disagree with that? We can assume the police are intelligent enough to know what gang members look like.
The evidence of which I'm aware suggests that police are just as racially biased as everyone else regardless of intelligence, and instead of profiling gang members or criminals, they wind up profiling brown people, despite white people carrying (on average) more drugs and/or illegal weapons.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2016 :  19:53:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure that all four of these men were "law-abiding gun owners" until the "pushing and shoving" started over a $25 fee.

Does anyone think this level of bloodshed would have been the end result of an argument in a knife shop?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2016 :  15:42:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MOAR GUNZ!!!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2016 :  20:32:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and this guy was a "law-abiding gun owner" right up to the moment the gun went off. Only 20 states in the U.S. have restrictions on possessing a firearm while intoxicated, and Washington isn't one of them.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2016 :  21:47:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what is looks like? Hope it includes well armed bearded white men dressed in camo. I find myself more concerned with those gangs even though I share so much in common with them. Appearance wise

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.