Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2016 :  09:40:53  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm strongly considering going to this:

CSICON Los Vegas

ThorGoLucky is also considering going.

It's as close to a TAM as there will ever be, TAM now being a thing of the past. The lineup of speakers is impressive. Not that I like all of them, but on the whole, it's no worse than the usual TAM. There are, of course, several hurdles to making it there, but I'm working on it. I'd love it if other SFN members were to go.

This would be my first CSICON if I go. They seem to have incorporated some of what made TAM special, like Sunday papers, TAM's MC, George Hrab, and of course, locating it in Vegas.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2016 :  12:43:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

CSICON Los Vegas

This would be my first CSICON if I go. They seem to have incorporated some of what made TAM special, like Sunday papers, TAM's MC, George Hrab, and of course, locating it in Vegas.

I'm expecting to be in Las Vegas over that weekend and following week but it just in the planning stages. I haven't got plane reservations yet, so who knows. I'm not very keen spending a few hundred bucks extra to sit in on a cold reading seminar for one hour or so, or one on critical thinking. It would be nice to meet up and see you and Thor though.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2016 :  14:17:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Originally posted by Kil

CSICON Los Vegas

I'm expecting to be in Las Vegas over that weekend and following week but it just in the planning stages. I haven't got plane reservations yet, so who knows. I'm not very keen spending a few hundred bucks extra to sit in on a cold reading seminar for one hour or so, or one on critical thinking. It would be nice to meet up and see you and Thor though.
Well... There are the talks, which is what I'd be going for. I will skip the workshops because they add to the cost of going.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2016 :  17:05:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Well... There are the talks, which is what I'd be going for. I will skip the workshops because they add to the cost of going.
I agree.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  10:24:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm likely to go and if so I'll plan on arriving Thursday and leave by Sunday afternoon. I want to see me Kil again!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  11:30:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

I'm likely to go and if so I'll plan on arriving Thursday and leave by Sunday afternoon. I want to see me Kil again!

I'd probably leave Sunday night or Monday morning. Thursday sounds like a good arrival day, since I won't be going to any of the workshops.

I hope I can afford food, as that's not part of the registration this time. I have to check to see what the tax on the room is and what the wifi situation is too.

October is a ways off but I think it would be best to get plane reservations, hotel and the con registration taken care of now. But geeze.

Or maybe I should wait on the con registration until I have more money. I dunno. Sigh...

But I do want to go. I've had so many fund raisers, I'm not sure it's cool to have another one.

I might ask my friend Cliff for a loan.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  19:46:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will be there at that time as far as I know now but being on that specific weekend presents two conflicts. Had it been the weekend before or after I would absolutely attend the whole event. For those who don't know or remember I attended Tam 7 with Kil in July, 2010. I don't regret doing so, even to this day. Fortunately I am already planning on being in Las Vegas for that Halloween weekend this far out. I won't have a rental car for my own traveling at will. I will be disappointed if I don't get to at least meet up with Kil again and meet Thor in person for the first time, while I'm so close. That would be uber cool. I will consider every possibility for meeting up and do so for as long as possible while we are all in the same place. My brother would say "God willing" but we know that's like saying "Santa clause might bring our Christmas gifts early this year". The reality is "it's whatever ends up happening". I prefer trying to facilitate what I want in my life through my own actions over praying to one specific god out of many possible gods for the most effective results.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  20:15:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SS:
I will be disappointed if I don't get to at least meet up with Kil again and meet Thor in person for the first time, while I'm so close. That would be uber cool.

We'll make sure to meet up. It'll be great seeing you again!

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  21:24:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to have to reserve the room fast. It's gone up in the last couple of days!

Okay. I'm wrong. It was the dates I looked at. But the deal is they don't tell you what the tax is or the bullshit resort fee until you book. Sigh...

I'm going to call them tomorrow and get a total.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

john21wall

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2016 :  05:59:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit john21wall's Homepage Send john21wall a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Soft targets are easy to knock down and thats what the Skeptics prefer doing!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2016 :  08:26:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by john21wall

Soft targets are easy to knock down and thats what the Skeptics prefer doing!!!!!
Welcome to SFN, john21wall.

So what are the soft targets that Skeptics prefer, and what should we be targeting? I'm well aware that there is an ongoing debate within the Skeptic community over scope, and there are Skeptics on this very forum who have some disagreements about it. But I'd like to know more about your take on it. To me it sounds like you think that most of what we do is of no value. For example, is going after the tons of quackery out there a soft target? Is working to keep creationism from being taught in public schools, a continuing battle, a soft target? Is challenging the idea that climate change is a hoax, and defending the scientific consensus on GMO safety, both of which are currently under attack a soft target? What do you think?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2016 :  07:20:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by john21wall

This thread is on the upcoming conference, so why are you crying about it here? Sounds to me like you should stay out of the kitchen if you can't take the heat. Either that or stop holding ideas you can't defend. It's really that simple.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2016 :  12:12:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

But I do want to go. I've had so many fund raisers, I'm not sure it's cool to have another one.

Of course it is. Now that TAM is no more, CSICON will be the new TAM, and Skeptic Friends Network needs to send The Ambassador...

(Count on a donation from me, if you decide to go.)

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2016 :  20:21:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Originally posted by Kil

Of course it is. Now that TAM is no more, CSICON will be the new TAM, and Skeptic Friends Network needs to send The Ambassador...

(Count on a donation from me, if you decide to go.)
Thanks Mab. I'm still trying to work out out myself. I don't know if I can but for now, I'm really going to try. You and those who have donated in the past have been very kind to me. So thanks again!

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2016 :  09:08:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I booked a room with two queen beds. Kil, may I treat you to a Tournament of Kings on Friday night? It's quite a scene with real horses! {whinny}

Perhaps I'll buy just the basic registration without the meals with the exception of the Tournament of Kings. I'd be fine with eating at the restaurants there or nearby. Whadayathink?

Fun fact: "Excalibur is the No. 1 purchaser of Cornish Game Hens in the United States. Since June 1990, approximately 6,700,000 hens have been served [at the Tournament of Kings]."

Edited by - ThorGoLucky on 05/31/2016 10:00:11
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2016 :  10:23:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

I booked a room with two queen beds. Kil, may I treat you to a Tournament of Kings on Friday night? It's quite a scene with real horses! {whinny}

Perhaps I'll buy just the basic registration without the meals with the exception of the Tournament of Kings. I'd be fine with eating at the restaurants there or nearby. Whadayathink?

Fun fact: "Excalibur is the No. 1 purchaser of Cornish Game Hens in the United States. Since June 1990, approximately 6,700,000 hens have been served [at the Tournament of Kings]."

Thursday through sunday I'm assuming. Was there a resort fee? Hey! I'll give you a call tonight and we can go over plans.

The rooms are only 35 dollars on weeknights, and I was considering coming in on Wednesday. Maybe that can be worked in? I dunno. Also I don't have to do that, but it saves on rushing around.

Tournament of Kings! I hear it's really cool! I'll let you if I can't raise the money. How's that?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.