Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 General Discussion
 Too many Bigfoot Shows. Where does it end ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Skeptic girl 00

1 Post

Posted - 08/04/2016 :  13:03:57  Show Profile Send Skeptic girl 00 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't mind there being a overabundance of these Bigfoot themed shows but it's getting out of hand.Finding Bigfoot,Mountain Monsters,Mysteries and Monsters in America,Destination Truth just to name a few.Some of the dialogues are just ridiculous.It just goes to show you what some people will do to get on tv,and get a paycheck for such ridiculous nonsense.thank goodness for the likes of Joe Nickel and Michelle Shermer and a few others who choose scientific common sense than to speculation.these shows and others make me laugh.even time they hear a noise they assume. Oh it's surely a bigfoot.they just jump to conclusions,or a fuzzy or dark photo,and right away they assume it's got to be bigfoot.I find it rather weird that wherever these Bigfoot Fanatics go they come up with the conclusion that even though we didn't capture a bigfoot.they we still believe their here.If these people are going to make ridiculous assumptions without no concrete evidence.what it tells me that these imaginary creatures are just that....Imaginary.

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2016 :  15:01:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A pub acquaintance, Harold Keith, and his wife are convinced that Bigfoots (Bigfeet?) are real. He heard a noise near his property here in Oregon and said that it could only have come from a Bigfoot. As if he knows what they sound like, and as if it couldn't possibly be from anything else. Such arrogance!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2016 :  19:42:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They wont stop until bigfoot is found

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2016 :  20:50:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

They wont stop until bigfoot is found

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2016 :  20:51:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to SFN Skeptic girl 00!

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2016 :  12:32:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't Penn & Teller laugh at Big Footers in one of their "Bullsh*t"-episodes?

Maybe I should stock up with a bunch of Bullsh*t episodes while I wait for the "complete Mythbusters" BluRay-set?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2016 :  09:03:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone see a pattern here with this first post and other first posts from new members?

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2016 :  10:26:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Didn't Penn & Teller laugh at Big Footers in one of their "Bullsh*t"-episodes?

Maybe I should stock up with a bunch of Bullsh*t episodes while I wait for the "complete Mythbusters" BluRay-set?

You didn't sound sure so I looked it up. They touched on bigfoot on Season 4 Episode 4
"Cryptozoology" April 24, 2006. Concerning mythological creatures such as Bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster. Cites the belief and study of these creatures as motivated by money as it creates tourism and royalties from film and video distribution.

They also did an episode on gun control, btw. Yeap! They explained that bullsh*t too and gave their justifications with evidence Fancy that! Season 3 Episode 9, June 20, 2005. Interestingly enough they took the time (1.5 minutes) to explain the wording of the second to people who don't understand the king's english.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2016 :  16:12:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

They also did an episode on gun control, btw. Yeap! They explained that bullsh*t too and gave their justifications with evidence Fancy that! Season 3 Episode 9, June 20, 2005. Interestingly enough they took the time (1.5 minutes) to explain the wording of the second to people who don't understand the king's english.
Well that's Penn's interpretation. So what he's saying is the right to bear arms is just in case there is a need to fight a state's well regulated militia. But no. That's a serious reach. If there were a militia, it would be made up of the people. That's just the way it was.

Thing about libertarians, and Penn is a raging one, is personal freedom comes before all other considerations, like public safety or public health, for example. So I'm not surprised he would interpret the second amendment that way. If he wants a hand held grenade launcher, ain't nobody going to tell him he can't have one because you never know when the government is going to come after us with, well... tanks I guess? He's full of shit.

Here's a rundown of the way the second amendment has been treated by the supreme court. Of some interest is that not until 2008, has the court ruled that the amendment guarantees an individual's right to bear arms. So what Penn is arguing is that it took over two hundred years for the courts to get it right, at least partly.

Second Amendment

Of interest should be this article:

How the NRA Rewrote the Second Amendment

"A fraud on the American public.” That’s how former Chief Justice Warren Burger described the idea that the Second Amendment gives an unfettered individual right to a gun. When he spoke these words to PBS in 1990, the rock-ribbed conservative appointed by Richard Nixon was expressing the longtime consensus of historians and judges across the political spectrum.

Twenty-five years later, Burger’s view seems as quaint as a powdered wig. Not only is an individual right to a firearm widely accepted, but increasingly states are also passing laws to legalize carrying weapons on streets, in parks, in bars—even in churches.

Many are startled to learn that the U.S. Supreme Court didn’t rule that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual’s right to own a gun until 2008, when District of Columbia v. Heller struck down the capital’s law effectively banning handguns in the home. In fact, every other time the court had ruled previously, it had ruled otherwise. Why such a head-snapping turnaround? Don’t look for answers in dusty law books or the arcane reaches of theory.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2016 :  16:31:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Interestingly enough they took the time (1.5 minutes) to explain the wording of the second to people who don't understand the king's english.
Interestingly enough, a couple of the Framers took a lot more than 1.5 minutes to explain the rationale behind all of the amendments (and the Constitution itself) in a series of documents called "The Federalist Papers." Penn doesn't mention their actual justification of the Second Amendment even once in that clip.

And again, the idea that your little pop-gun is going to do any good against today's modern military is ludicrous. If you want weapons to defend yourself against a potential tyrannical government, you should be an activist for the right for private citizens to own Apache helicopters.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2016 :  19:45:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I take it back, somewhat. Having read Federalist No. 46 it seems that Penn is at least in part, correct. (That he sees it as allowing all gun ownership is still wrong.)

Madison thought it was ludicrous that a standing federal army could beat an armed public and so the second amendment was added to appease the anti-federalists who feared a strong central government. But again, it took over two hundred years for a modern conservative court to interpret the amendment to mean that a law could not disallow the ownership of handguns in DC. But no court has ruled that gun regulation is unconstitutional. And there is precedent for banning semi and fully automatic weapons.

Also, as Dave has pointed out, it's now crazy to think that gun ownership could prevent our military from successfully defending the federal government or that states could defend themselves against our military.

Really... The Second Amendment is horribly written, out of date and should be fixed or repealed. Probably neither will happen and people will keep arguing about it.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2016 :  20:44:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2016 :  12:18:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.
If you want weapons to defend yourself against a potential tyrannical government, you should be an activist for the right for private citizens to own Apache helicopters.

Hell, I want my own 100MT nuke. Tied to my fitbit life-detecting wristband with a fuck-them-all-to-hell panic button.
MAD will keep me safe.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2016 :  17:33:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Penn also suggests in his book to force people to eat bacon and perform homosexual acts as a method of identifying extremists at airport security, and believes planes would be safer if everyone on board had a gun.
Now some or all of this may be in jest, but he didn't actually offer any realistic alternatives so I can only assume his only actual ideas were jokes.
He also has framed quotes from Ayn Rand on his walls at home. He probably prays to them every night.

Edited by - On fire for Christ on 08/08/2016 17:37:18
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2016 :  07:12:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Anyone see a pattern here with this first post and other first posts from new members?

Well, the formatting is unusually cruel to us. To me, at least.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2016 :  08:54:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

...and believes planes would be safer if everyone on board had a gun.
Old joke: always take a bomb with you when you fly. The chance of there being a bomb on a plane is really slim. The odds of there being two bombs on a plane are astronomical.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds.