Science Debate 2016
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2016 :  09:06:32  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The group behind ScienceDebate.org has released the answers they've gotten (so far) from the major(ish) Presidential candidates this election cycle, and it's clear which campaign has put the most thought into their answers.

Of note: Trump's repetitive mantra of "free markets." He doesn't seem to realize (well, one more of many things he obviously doesn't grok) that his ideal of allowing agriculture a fully free market is in direct conflict with his insistence that the food supply is a national security issue.

(As of this writing, the Libertarians haven't offered any answers at all. My guess is that they're trying to figure out how to avoid sounding like carbon copies of Trump.)

Oh, and Jill Stein (of course) doesn't seem to like GMOs. Or pesticides. Yet one can reduce the reliance on the other. Go figure.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2016 :  17:14:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No surprises. I doubt that Trump actually wrote or has a policy on anything that was written in his name. I mean, when asked about many of these things in interviews, he changes the subject because he's clueless. He has called climate change a hoax. So whoever answered it was consistent there. Everything is more important than climate change. That's more generally the GOP position ever since they forgot that they also came up with cap and trade. That was before climate change became a hoax.

Even though I agree with Stein on some of the issues, she has no chance with me. She is just wrong on several issues, including GMOs and the superiority of organic farming. It's an anti-science position that bucks the scientific consensus and that is a non starter for me. She was also very careful in her vax comment. What she is essentially saying is she will not mandate vaccines. Her plan is to try to talk anti vaxxers into changing their minds. Also, vaccine resistance of the fault of big pharma/FDA and not because of assholes like Andrew Wakefield. Sigh...

Gotta go with Hillary.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2016 :  19:07:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OMG, is the SFN now coming out as anti-libertarian as well as being pro frankingstein food and pro gun control? I'm sorry this is too much

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2016 :  20:01:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

OMG, is the SFN now coming out as anti-libertarian...
Somebody hasn't been paying attention.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2016 :  20:36:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

No surprises. I doubt that Trump actually wrote or has a policy on anything that was written in his name. I mean, when asked about many of these things in interviews, he changes the subject because he's clueless.
Well, sure. I doubt Hillary typed up her own answers, either, and instead merely approved a document drafted by staffers.
He has called climate change a hoax. So whoever answered it was consistent there. Everything is more important than climate change. That's more generally the GOP position ever since they forgot that they also came up with cap and trade. That was before climate change became a hoax.
As a bunch of bloggers have noted, Trump's answers include scare quotes around the important term. It's really all one needs to know about their position. But it's a little surprising they didn't include "so-called" or "alleged" or something similar:
...the field of so-called “climate change.”

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2016 :  12:38:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trumps answers are definitely not written by him, as they're too coherent, ha.

I'm half anti-Libertarian. I love the personal freedom part, but I don't like the part about enabling The Bad Guys and putting the fiction of free markets above future generations and the ecosystems upon which we stand.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2016 :  20:03:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, every libertarian-leaning individual should be tossing out any pro-Trump stuff they've got. With regards to Ford moving all of its small-vehicle production to Mexico, Trump said that the government shouldn't allow Ford to do that. So much for free markets.

It's all just catch-phrases and dog-whistles for Trump. The only clue he has is to which sound-bites his current, proximal audience wants to hear at that moment in time.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2016 :  08:04:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.
The only clue he has is to which sound-bites his current, proximal audience wants to hear at that moment in time.

He's very good at doing that. Even so it amazes me that he has the numbers he's got. It blows my mind. I doubt he will win, but it sure makes me uncomfortable that so many people find him acceptable.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2016 :  16:41:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Life imitates art. Trump is the Senator Bob Rumson character in The American President. That movie summed up Trump's shtick pretty well:
We have serious problems to solve, and we need serious people to solve them. And whatever your particular problem is, I promise you, [Trump] is not the least bit interested in solving it. He is interested in two things and two things only: making you afraid of it and telling you who's to blame for it. That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you win elections.
So the answer to Trump is obvious: get Aaron Sorkin to write speeches for Clinton.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2016 :  09:45:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gary Johnson responded to Science Debate 2016. So-called free markets and capitalism is great for tech development, but quality science and research needs government funding.

"We believe that no source of energy is categorically wrong or right."
Oh, so coal that is polluting, mild-radioactivity, and environmentally destructive in its mining is no more bad than solar? WTF? Well, at least he pro-nuclear.

Also, it's so funny listening to Christians and their mental gymnastics in their defense of supporting Trump.

Edited by - ThorGoLucky on 09/21/2016 10:26:15
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  09:30:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

"We believe that no source of energy is categorically wrong or right."
Oh, so coal that is polluting, mild-radioactivity, and environmentally destructive in its mining is no more bad than solar? WTF?
Well, you're talking relative morality there, while Johnson says "categorically."

But I still think Johnson is incorrect. If you rip new-born babies out of their mothers' arms and use the resultant tears to generate power, that would, indeed, be categorically wrong.
Also, it's so funny listening to Christians and their mental gymnastics in their defense of supporting Trump.
(If you want more anti-Trump stuff, Keith Olbermann has 176 Reasons Donald Trump Shouldn't Be President.)

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  09:13:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But trump will cut tax. I hate tax. Tax is bad so less tax = less bad. Less bad means more good. Trump = good.

Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  17:32:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

But trump will cut tax. I hate tax. Tax is bad so less tax = less bad. Less bad means more good. Trump = good.

Impeccable logic, OFfC.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2016 :  22:34:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Trump is an anti-vaxxer. And apparently the tide has turned, and now more conservatives are anti-vax than liberals.

Now how do we go about getting Trump to promote PETA and Greenpeace?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.