Our Skeptic Forums
 Health
 Phrenology - Seriously!?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

carryon

11 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2018 :  20:34:21  Show Profile Send carryon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I work at a company located in Woo Town also known as Boulder. Or, as a friend calls it, the most fascist anarchy on the planet.

A former employee is trying to get her certificate in Phrenology. They brought her in to do readings at the company's annual health fair. They had all the different kinds of 'alternative' medical practitioners in attendance. They do aura readings, some kind of skin analyzer for cancer, etc.

This is unlike the health fairs I've worked, where as a phlebotomist, we did hematocrits, PSA, TSH, bp, bpm, blood ox, etc. Real testing that gave real results on their current health status. Really much the same as when you go to your doctor.

I was, to say the least, completely astonished. For a company that offers the health fair so employees can stay healthy, not a single true medical check was offered. No blood pressure, no temperature, no heart rate, nothing!

It's not even worth wading through the woo for the free smoothie.

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2018 :  07:49:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow!

I've been to many woo fests, but none that were billed as a Health Fair. And in-house? Crazy!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2018 :  08:45:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh...my...dog. What a pathetic health fair. Phrenology is making a comeback? Ugh.

P.S. Anarchists are so naive.
Go to Top of Page

carryon

11 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2018 :  17:33:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send carryon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They do good things too, the entire month of March any employee can bring any electronic item in for recycle.

I thought Phrenology had been discredited a long time ago. Wasn't there some issue with Phrenology being done on children and causing long term damage? The claim that adjusting the skull is curative when a small child has such mobility in their skull is frightening.

I think maybe next time I take the sphygmomanometer and stethoscope to do at least a real set of vitals. Then at least there would really be something healthy at the health fare.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2018 :  16:17:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are thinking of chiropractic, carryon.

Phrenology is where you smoke waaaaaaaay too much dope.....

I mean the idea that you can tell something about people by examining the bumps on their head.

Of the woo, it is basically a parlor game that doesn't directly harm the victim. Add that to other woo to "treat" the problems that they "find" and it gets dangerous pretty quick.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2018 :  06:30:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

I mean the idea that you can tell something about people by examining the bumps on their head.

Well, many bumps on the head tells us that they are either clumsy, or not very bright, or both...
Oh, and possibly have a head-ache.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 06/29/2018 06:38:19
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.