New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Eldibs

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  22:59:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Eldibs's Homepage Send Eldibs a Private Message
That might work both ways, you know. If insurmountable evidence was given to prove their views correct, there would still be those who disbelieve them.

quote:
I bet there are loads of kids who keep trying to make a psi ball every day for a month because "Peabrain" said so on IRC...

Having tried to make a psi-ball myself, I can tell you it only takes at most two weeks to get some kind of a result. Determining whether the feeling of the psi-ball is just bio-feedback or actually a psi-ball is another story altogether.

quote:
I'd call the experiment a spectacular failure. Unfortunately, I doubt any of the true believers regard it as such.

I'd call it a spectacular failure, but I wouldn't call it an experiment. They weren't trying to prove any specific hypothesis, they just wanted to see if they could make a visible psi-ball.

quote:
now i know out of experience that holding your arms and fingers in a single position for a minute CAN do that to you... Its called nerves.

The problem with that is that it's not always a tingling sensation. The feeling varies somewhat from person to person.

quote:
Click it, actually TRY it, and when it doesn't work, you've just verified that every member of psipog is blowing smoke.

Except the problem with that is you have to have an open mind about it. If you go in thinking "Man, I know this won't work," or if you only try for a grand total of 15 seconds, then it won't work.
Besides, that site has been up for a couple of years, with paid hosting and a domain name. Why would they maintain the site if it was all a lie or a joke?
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  23:16:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eldibs
Besides, that site has been up for a couple of years, with paid hosting and a domain name. Why would they maintain the site if it was all a lie or a joke?

Don't underestimate people's ability of self-deception.
They may actually believe in their psi-abilities, whoever ludicrous it may seem to most of us.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  23:38:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:

I'd call it a spectacular failure, but I wouldn't call it an experiment. They weren't trying to prove any specific hypothesis, they just wanted to see if they could make a visible psi-ball.

Did you not just contradict yourself? Or is the phrase, "It is possible to make a visible psi-ball" not a hypothesis?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Aidis

6 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  00:03:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Aidis a Private Message
What i dont get is, since its SOO easy to make a visible Psi-Ball.. Is it just a coincidence all these people that claim this also

1. Do not have a webcam/access to a camera (So they say).
2. Only do it in there basement and they have never told anyone of there real friends (If they have any) but asked there mother and claimed that she did not want to beleive and thats why she didnt see it.
3. Dont like fame and fortune.

Plus, i bet you if asian anime/fiction were never brought to western culture non of these sites/fanatics would exist.
Edited by - Aidis on 12/07/2005 00:05:33
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  00:23:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Plus, i bet you if asian anime/fiction were never brought to western culture non of these sites/fanatics would exist.

That may be a bit of a stretch. People claiming paranormal abilities have been around for a looooong time.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Aidis

6 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  00:42:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Aidis a Private Message
I was mostly talking about the Ki/Chi/Qi (Ball/Beam) Empty Force etc fans. Its mostly Asian Mythology, kind of like refering to Dragons and Mages in ancient britain.
Go to Top of Page

Eldibs

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  07:58:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Eldibs's Homepage Send Eldibs a Private Message
quote:

I don't know about that, but I'd be a happier person (no anime).

quote:
What i dont get is, since its SOO easy to make a visible Psi-Ball.

Yeah right. I wish it were that easy. I'd mess with people's heads all the time.

quote:
Did you not just contradict yourself? Or is the phrase, "It is possible to make a visible psi-ball" not a hypothesis?

Good point. Perhaps what I should have said was "It wasn't intended to be an experiment, even if it was."

quote:
What i dont get is, since its SOO easy to make a visible Psi-Ball.. Is it just a coincidence all these people that claim this also

1. Do not have a webcam/access to a camera (So they say).
2. Only do it in there basement and they have never told anyone of there real friends (If they have any) but asked there mother and claimed that she did not want to beleive and thats why she didnt see it.
3. Dont like fame and fortune.

I don't claim to be able to make a visible one, but anyways...

1. Psipog has plenty of videos of telekinesis. Whether or not they're real is a different story.
2. Basements are for sissies. So is asking your mother. I say just mess with people and see your results.
3. Fame isn't necessarily a good thing. I wouldn't want fame. Fortune, I would want.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  11:02:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
3. Fame isn't necessarily a good thing. I wouldn't want fame. Fortune, I would want.

I'm not sure, but I suppose Randi could be convinced to conceal the identity of the person who managed to win his million dollar prize.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  11:52:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

Several Ponzi scheme websites have been up for a couple of years, does it make what they say any less a lie? Landover Baptist has been in operation for over 5 years, does it make it any less than a joke?

DNS services and hosting is the price of a hobby or a business to defraud people.

Longevity of the site has no bearing on the quality of the information inside.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Eldibs

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  12:11:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Eldibs's Homepage Send Eldibs a Private Message
quote:

Yes, but the consistency of their information, combined with multiple videos of them performing some of these feats (http://www.psipog.net/media.php) and the length of time the site has been up indicates they aren't deluded or crazy. They would have to be incredibly dedicated liars who don't mind spending money and loads of time on their lie, with no reward other than the thought of people believing their lie.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  14:13:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Yes, but the consistency of their information, combined with multiple videos of them performing some of these feats (http://www.psipog.net/media.php) and the length of time the site has been up indicates they aren't deluded or crazy. They would have to be incredibly dedicated liars who don't mind spending money and loads of time on their lie, with no reward other than the thought of people believing their lie.

Again, consistency is also a mark in both Landover Baptist (a parody site) and the myriad Ponzi scheme websites (a criminal enterprize).

There is a third choice. They are self deluded and have bought their own snake oil. It's not good when you get hooked on your own product.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Eldibs

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  18:34:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Eldibs's Homepage Send Eldibs a Private Message
I might say something along the lines of "do you think that many could be self-deluded all at the same place about the same thing," but I know how idiotic people can be sometimes (after all, look at the lyrics to the song "Skater Boy").

Did those sites have consistency, video evidence, and longevity all at once, with many people backing them up?
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  18:43:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
They would have to be incredibly dedicated liars who don't mind spending money and loads of time on their lie, with no reward other than the thought of people believing their lie.

I don't think you understand what self-deception means.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 12/07/2005 19:47:35
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  19:49:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Did those sites have consistency, video evidence, and longevity all at once, with many people backing them up?

You ever visit a UFO site? Those poor folks are absolutely convinced alien ships have visited this planet and abducted people. They claim to have "proof" as well, but of course when you look into it nothing is there.

The sad fact of the matter is yes, people really can fool themselves collectively and for extended periods of time. Their whole lives in fact.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 12/07/2005 19:50:15
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  19:57:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

Christianity has PsiPog beat on all those points (beat by a mile), but that doesn't mean god is real.

And by "video evidence," is there nothing better than those simple parlor tricks shown?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds.