Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  00:18:14  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/04/26/noah.ark.ap/index.html

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  01:05:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Another one! I declare, sometimes I wish they'd find the damned thing and be done with it.

quote:
McGivern and Ahmet Ali Arslan, a Turkish mountain climber who grew up in a town near Mount Ararat, say satellite photos have helped them pinpoint a more exact location. Arslan will be leading the expedition.

It ain't happenin' if for no other reason than the Ark was probably the least seaworthy vessel ever concieved, not to mention all of the other problems with the story.

And what of out friend, Ahmet Ali Arslan? Is he seriously and religiously into this, or is he yet more serious about it in that there's a large number of yankee dollars to be had from the gullible?

I'll bet a brand, new dollar against a bent nickle that they find squat, or, possibly, make like those ICR clowns who claim to have found dinosaur bones in Alaska that were so fresh they were all but bloody, but won't tell you where you can go to see and study them (I asked).

Under the circumstances, bringing back photos impresses me not at all. I'd want to see some solid evidence; possibly a trunnel from the ship, radiocarbon dated by an accredated lab, before I get off my dollar. But, they're not going to bring out any artifacts, are they? That statment instantly set off my bullshit detector.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  05:57:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/04/26/noah.ark.ap/index.html

Even if they do find an enormous boat it proves nothing else than it's an enormous boat. The story about Noah and his Ark have so many scientific and factual errors that it's embarassing that members of the species that prides herself with being the most intelligent on this planet, actually believe in it. If uneducated people in really poor parts of the world believed in it, ok. Understandable. But in the relatively rich part of the world where most of us on this board probably live? Countries that can give everyone a good education, and where there are many schools, high quality higher education, plenty of libraries, science magazines and TV? Unbelievable.

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." -- Carl Sagan
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  06:32:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
What a waste of time and effort. Might as well search for the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. At least with that there's some potential for decent pay off.

EDIT:

On further thought, what if they actually found it? I was raised Catholic but in the course of my life I've been able to cast off all that nonsense and free my mind a little. If they found that damn ark it would turn my poor little brain upside down. Not to mention it would mean the angry, vengeful god of the Old Testament likely exists. Wouldn't that be a frightening thing!

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 04/27/2004 06:39:17
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  06:43:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Having the reality disadvantaged to fund such a excursion beats the pot of gold.
Go to Top of Page

TG
Skeptic Friend

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  06:58:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send TG a Private Message
"We are not excavating it. We are not taking any artifacts. We're going to photograph it and, God willing, you're all going to see it," McGivern said.

In other words, we're going half way around the world to find this thing, but we're not actually going to bring back any evidence, so these blurry pictures will have to do. Oh, and we don't remember exactly where we found it ... it's a big mountain and we couldn't afford a GPS receiver ($70 at Frye's).

TG
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  07:27:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TG

"We are not excavating it. We are not taking any artifacts. We're going to photograph it and, God willing, you're all going to see it," McGivern said.

In other words, we're going half way around the world to find this thing, but we're not actually going to bring back any evidence, so these blurry pictures will have to do. Oh, and we don't remember exactly where we found it ... it's a big mountain and we couldn't afford a GPS receiver ($70 at Frye's).

TG

LMAO - Yes it seems like they're covering all their bases.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  08:38:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TG
[In other words, we're going half way around the world to find this thing, but we're not actually going to bring back any evidence, so these blurry pictures will have to do.

Why bother with evidence when you already have the TRUTH (tm).

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  09:23:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TG

TG

With today's digital cameras, there is no excuse for funky photos, and if that is what is produced upon their return, my bullshit detector will suffer a meltdown. Hell, even I, with arthritic and snake-bitten hands, not so good eyes, and the artistic talents of a turnip, can get excellent pics with minimal effort.

On the other hand, digital photos can easily be, let us say, 'improved' upon.

I think I'm gonna enjoy this.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  01:51:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
More for the BS detectors:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/04/0427_040427_noahsark.html

"In one image we saw the beams, saw the wood. I'm convinced that the excavation of the object and the results of tests run on any collected samples will prove that it is Noah's ark. "

"The ark is broken into a minimum of three pieces, up to six, from a huge earthquake that occurred in 1840. But it's been miraculously preserved. The satellite imagery shows vertical beams, and one horizontal beam,"

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040426/040426_ararat_vlg_1p.vlarge.jpg
[Due to copyright concerns, we'd much rather just have links to images than the images themselves - Dave W.]

http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/imagedisplay/img_display.php?pic=h_ark_dgimage01_02.jpg

The home page of the Hawaii Christian Coalition:
http://www.hi-christian.com/.

[Edited to change the pic and add link]

-- Terry Jones
Edited by - Starman on 04/28/2004 02:07:01
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  02:33:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

More for the BS detectors:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/04/0427_040427_noahsark.html

"In one image we saw the beams, saw the wood. I'm convinced that the excavation of the object and the results of tests run on any collected samples will prove that it is Noah's ark. "

"The ark is broken into a minimum of three pieces, up to six, from a huge earthquake that occurred in 1840. But it's been miraculously preserved. The satellite imagery shows vertical beams, and one horizontal beam,"

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/04/images/040427_ararat1.jpg
[Edited to just show link to this image, too - Dave W.]

I hope there are better pictures than this one...

The home page of the Hawaii Christian Coalition:
http://www.hi-christian.com/.

National Geographic link's not working. I lost a lot of faith in NG when they published a report on an altered Chinese fossil before it had been properly reviewed and the hoax discovered. They got burned on that one. A pity, really. It's mostly a good, popular publication, if not a scientific one.

Interesting page on the HCC. They don't quite scream 'Christian persecution', but they come close. What makes their rights and beliefs more important than anyone else's?

I think that after a while, given the sort of expedition this will be, we'll be treated to some pictures of odd impressions in the earth of Mt. Ararat and a lot of windy retoric about standing on sacred ground, and so forth. Skeptics will giggle madly and the faithful will go into orgasmic swoons. :rolleyes:

I don't think they'd try to fake it by altering the site (if found), but I'll leave that one open. After all, it's been done many times before.

Edited to add: tried the link again and it's working.

quote:
"On the one hand, I'm hopeful. On the other hand, I'm very skeptical" of the validity of the satellite images, said Rex Geissler, president of ArcImaging (Archaeological Imaging Research Consortium). "There is no publicly available picture that readily shows a man-made object that has any clarity whatsoever … Some of the photos are outright misrepresentations, non-scientific, and do not prove anything.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 04/28/2004 02:45:49
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  05:04:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Oh no!
The devil is at it again.
The greatest event since the resurrection of Christ has been put on ice:
Noah's Ark Quest Dead in Water -- Was It a Stunt?

-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  07:18:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I must admit to grave disappointment. I was looking forward to a remarkable tale of heroric exploration on a level that Indiana Jones could only dream of. And at end of the journey, enough bullshit to fertilize an acre of pretty decent weed.

Alas, now we'll now have to wait for the next one.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  11:08:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
quote:
From the NG article:
Some archaeologists charge that Noah's-ark expeditions like McGivern's are nothing but wild-goose chases.

Do they really??? Gee.

I wonder if the writers over at National Geographic have taken to using mind altering drugs or are they just a bunch of freaking morons.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Edited by - furshur on 09/21/2004 13:40:35
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  11:47:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
I wonder if the writers over at National Geographic taken to using mind altering drugs or are they just a bunch of freaking morons.

hehe, yeah. I was wondering the same thing when I read that article.... the tone suggests that the writer is a believer.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  11:49:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
I vote freaking morons. Much cheaper than mind-altering drugs.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.