Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2004 :  21:31:52  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
... something that happened to me in a McDonald's today...

I walk inside, wait about 2 minutes in line to order.

I place my order for an eggMcmuffin, a hashbrown, and a large coke.

McD'd employee: "I'm sorry sir, we're out of round eggs, would the square egg be ok?

Me: <blinks dumbly in a state of non-comprehension and stares silently for atleast 15 seconds>

McD's employee: "Sir?"

Me: <realizes that this person taking my order is 100% serious>

McD's employee: "Is a square egg ok?"

Me: <realizes that the little egg cooker they use must have 2 shapes, one for the "round egg" they use on the mcmuffin, and a "square" one for the biscuit>

Me: <stares silently for about 10 more seconds battling a desire to laugh and a desire to call this person names>

Me: "Sure."

McD's employee: <looks relieved and puts my order in>

2nd McD's employee (in the back making the food): "Hey, it's gonna be atleast 5 minutes before we have any round eggs!"

McD's employee 1: "It's OK to use the square on on this order!"

Me: <resists temptation to insist on a round egg>
Me: <fails to resist the continued urge to laugh out loud>

True story.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2004 :  00:07:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Ha Ha. Honestly, Dude, that's a great story. Except I wouldn't have figured out he was talking about the cooking forms. I consider 15 seconds to be well under the average.

I think I would have changed my order to pancakes.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2004 :  00:23:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
fftttt(sprays coke all over the keyboard)That is hilarious. Makes you wonder, though, just what those eggs are made of.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2004 :  00:24:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
OK. Michelle wants you to know this. She has a screen name but is making me do this post. I really didn't want to but here goes. The reason they asked is because the square eggs are scrambled and the round eggs are supposed to look poached because an Egg McMuffen is really eggs benedict with the cheese pretending to be hollandaise sauce when you hold it the correct way. In other words, what you accepted was a Mc Faux Pas. Heads should roll! I hope this information serves you in some way. It comes from a McDonalds expert of sorts. She also knows a lot about Sprite.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2004 :  01:04:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Go to McDonalds and order a chicken parmesan. You can get some really good reactions sometimes.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2004 :  02:17:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
You ate at McDonald's?! Oh, you unfortunate person! Have you had a stomach pump? Are there symptoms? At the very least, you should get a ptomaine booster.

Square egg, huh? Did you express concern for the chicken that laid it?

I love it!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

satans_mom
Skeptic Friend

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2004 :  13:31:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send satans_mom an AOL message  Send satans_mom a Yahoo! Message Send satans_mom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

fftttt(sprays coke all over the keyboard)That is hilarious. Makes you wonder, though, just what those eggs are made of.

Preservatives, phosphates, hormones, steroids...........

quote:

You ate at McDonald's?! Oh, you unfortunate person! Have you had a stomach pump? Are there symptoms? At the very least, you should get a ptomaine booster.

We need a catheter!!! STAT!!!

quote:

In other words, what you accepted was a Mc Faux Pas

Yes, and for quite some time, people accepted their burgers as is, when in actuality, the lot of the patty was soy!!! Yet, still incredibly unhealthy, McDonald's managed to use a cheap resource, make it seem like something else, and sell it with the same health hazard as a regular burger would possess. Congratulations, Mickey Dees! Now, it's a fad to have a 100% meat patty. Now the question is... exactly from WHAT part of the cow does this meat come?

Yo mama's so fat, she's on both sides of the family.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2004 :  14:19:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I worked "back-stage" of a burger-joint/restaurant at an amusement park in Sweden for a few days (Sommarland) And though I never saw any square eggs, I saw plenty of cylindrical ones. Same diameter as the "waist" of the egg, but about 15cm (6"). A white tube filled with yellow. It was pre-cooked and was supposed to be sliced and put on sandwiches.

I guess McDonalds have their own kind made.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2004 :  15:04:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Preservatives, phosphates, hormones, steroids...........

I just have three questions:

1.) Do you have sources which say that these are actually in the food (from McDonalds would be the best source)?
2.) What medical tests have been done on whats in the food showing good/bad effects?
3.) Is there a safe level of consumption of each of these?

I know you may have just been joking, but I am seriously curious as to what actually goes into the foods and what effects these have on people.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2004 :  20:20:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message
You might want to take a gander at Fast Food Nation which covers the industry in (urk) great detail. Cured me of my taste for fast food right quick.

- TW
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2004 :  21:26:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Well, the funny part is that I throw the eggs away... lol. Can't stand egg. The problem is that the average functional IQ of people behind the counters at fast food joints is around 80, and it takes about double the time to get a special order AND the chances of it being correct are usually less than 50%... heh. So I just order the standard garbage and pick off what I don't like.

But I thought my brain was short-circuiting or something.... round egg? Square egg? wtf? It was kinda surreal... like I was standing there and suddenly became aware that there was some vital piece of information about reality that I was unaware of....

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  11:37:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
On a trip home on a train, I ordered a egg, ham, and cheese. When I saw the eggs, the first thing I thought of was this post, so I just had to take a picture of them:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=3932985093&congratulation_page=Y

It was really freaky that they were in basically perfect circles, it was just so fake.

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  16:29:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

... something that happened to me in a McDonald's today...
I walk inside, wait about 2 minutes in line to order. I place my order for an eggMcmuffin, a hashbrown, and a large coke...

Coke with Egg McMuffin? Are you mad? (Kidding) Good story. I once went through a Wendy's drive-through and ordered a..ummm...witchamacallit... "Wendy's burger?" and a coke.

They asked me if I wanted my drink in a bag.
I was tired that day and simply replied that I'd like my drink in a cup.

Afterwords I realized the humour in it. True story.
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2004 :  05:40:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Man, I worked in a McDonalds about twenty years ago. I was trying to save some extra money to go back to school. It was my night job. I had a day job in a concrete products factory. A weekend job as a landscaper's helper. Concrete and landscaping was hard work, but good. McDonalds was B.S. They made me ask permission to go to the restroom, and then had the nerve to ask me if I was smart enough to wash my damned hands afterwards. That job lasted about four days, and I never got back to school on a recular basis.

As for the eggs, they didn't sell those things at night, but if I remember correctly, they came frozen in a big bag or something. McDonalds doesn't crack eggs. Everything is pre-processed for quick service. If I remember anything from that store, it was that they kept preaching that a customer had only 90 seconds to be served once he or she got in line...But, that was one store over twenty years ago.

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2004 :  05:49:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
I worked at Wendy's for a couple months in high school until my parents said, "OK, we'll pay for university. Please quit." It was a truly hateful experience.

When I worked there, they fried their french fries in beef fat and cottonseed oil. Swear to God--it was labeled that way on the box. And it was the consistency of Crisco (tm) before we melted it in the fryers.

If I remember Fast Food Nation (great book!) correctly, fast food outlets use "natural flavors"--which are actually natural flavors isolated, via solvents, from other natural flavors. So not really so natural, hm?

I absolutely can't eat Taco Bell or McDonald's. Their food tastes weird and I assume it's the "natural" and artificial crap.

Funny story, though, Dude!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  12:44:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I don't know how funny this is going to come across in type but it was very funny as it happened.

Back when I was 18 or so, my boyfriend and I worked at a Dunkin Donuts. We were supposed to put the leftover donut dough into the new dough each day. The baker that preceded Dave was often over mixing and one day she left a huge amount of dough that Dave just didn't want to use in his fresh batch. So we put it in the trunk of my car.

Well, I had one of those old Volkswagen Squarebacks with the trunk under the hood where the engine would go. The gas tank was also filled from inside the hood.

So there I go to get gas, totally forgetting the dough was there and that it had been there several days. Yep, in the heat yeast really rises. I remembered as soon as I saw the look on the face of the station attendant.

I'll leave you to picture either a sci-fi or I Love Lucy scenario. The attendant just stared at me as I cleared it out and into his trash can.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.