Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  22:20:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky
Do you think I should bring her education to light in the forum? Or should we try to find some more things first?

Well, waiting couldn't hurt. Let's see if anything more concrete turns up. I still don't know whether it's possible to knock out a Masters degree in a year. It's not a PhD, remember. Maybe that ought to be looked into. Anyone know the legality of simply phoning the school and inquiring about a student's academic status? At any rate, I personally think the debate sounds like the perfect time to bring up such issues as honesty.

BTW, with all the original threads now deleted, can we still prove she ever made the claim? I'd hate her to turn around and go "I never said I already had my Masters degree."

Edit: Nevermind. Luckily I cut and pasted her (potentially) condemning words here. So at the very least, denial is not an option for her.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 10/05/2004 22:57:48
Go to Top of Page

llDayo

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  05:52:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send llDayo a Private Message
Wow, I missed a lot during sleepy time! Great research guys, hopefully this will all lead to something that ruins her credibility with members of the site who don't know her personally. It's amazing how hypocritical tk is for his rules of the forums. His "gurl" must have him tied around her finger so tight it's cutting off blood flow to her brain.

Incidentally, I applied for access to their forums, let's see if they let me in
Edited by - llDayo on 10/06/2004 06:08:55
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  06:51:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Okay, folks. It looks like kevkev quoted Hannah's "explanation" of "ccdi9" over here. It's not a protein (in other words, it's not cdc19), or - it seems to me - anything else that's been guessed yet. Let's take a look:
doesn't take long for anyone to figure your problem out. the biochemical complexity of cells and dna and rna is too great for it evolve. a change by as much as .001 percent in bio-complexity if fatal to the organism.
Oh? Says who? And to which organism? And over how long a time period? But wait, this doesn't say "ccdi9" in it anywhere...
the trouble of gradualists has always been overcoming such paradoxes under the ccdi9.
"The ccdi9?" That article is very interesting, as it implies that "ccdi9" is some sort of "rule."
as biochemists know ccdi9 would not only terminate the organism, but would stop all evolutionary processes as well.
But now it sounds more like a poison, and no biochemists are mentioning it by that abbreviation in papers, anywhere, whatever the hell it is.
with punctuations each species could increase in bio-complexity, but under such circumstances that would be outside the realm of gradualistic evolution and into a punctuated setting.
A common misunderstanding of PE.
thus why ccdi9 is such a viable rule of thumb.
Ah, it is a rule, but it makes gradualism inviable. This is terribly confusing.

And then, there is this:
operation equation of ccdi9
ww xx yy zz 
xx yy zz ww 
yy zz ww xx 
zz ww xx yy 
00 00 00 00
I don't see an equals sign, so it's not an equation. I don't see any definition of the variables, so it's completely meaning-free. A waste of time. But kevkev doesn't stop quoting there...
and [sic] example of ccdi9 in coding:
(w1x1y1z1-w11001xyz w4x4y4z4-z11001wxy w2x2y2z2-x11001yzw
w3x3y3z3-y11001zwx 

w2x2y2z2-x11001yzw w1x1y1z1-w11001xyz w4x4y4z4-z11001wxy
w3x3y3z3-y11001zwx 

w4x4y4z4-z11001wxy w3x3y3z3-y11001zwx w2x2y2z2-x11001yzw
w1x1y1z1-w11001xyz) 9 

(w9x9y9z9)911001
But that's about as meaningful as me saying "here's an example of playing cards: 3+4=7."

As for Hannah's education, there is no way in hell that tk is going to tolerate an "outing" of his nasty-girl on his own forum. Even if she is spewing lies. I know of one guy who went from bachelors to masters in just two years, while holding a full-time job, but he didn't have time for messing with an SO or a newsletter, so I'm not sure how Hannah - even if she were devoted to school full time - could pull it off in one. But that's not evidence that it's not possible.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  07:04:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.
I know of one guy who went from bachelors to masters in just two years, while holding a full-time job, but he didn't have time for messing with an SO or a newsletter, so I'm not sure how Hannah - even if she were devoted to school full time - could pull it off in one. But that's not evidence that it's not possible.

I got my MA in history in 2 years. The problem is that in many cases, schools don't do terminal masters degrees. That is, when you apply to school in history or English or linguistics or whatever, you don't apply for an MA; you apply for a PhD and get your MA after fulfilling certain requirements (e.g. taking one of your comprehensive exams and passing a language exam). I don't know if that's how it works in the sciences, but this is the case in general in the humanities...

Edited to add:

At Texas Tech, they do grant an MS in several fields of biology. The requirements include:

Requirements for completing the thesis M.S. degree include coursework (30 credit hours), a research thesis, and a final oral examination. A 36-credit hour non-thesis option is also available. The Ph.D. degree requires 60 credit hours beyond the baccalaureate (including formal courses, seminars, and research credits), passage of a comprehensive qualifying exam (written and oral), and completion and oral defense of a dissertation.

So for an MS, it looks like about 10 classes-- that would take about 3 semesters-- and a thesis. Four semesters is the minimum. The "non-thesis" option is probably for kids getting the PhD and looks like it would take 2 years total.
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 10/06/2004 07:11:30
Go to Top of Page

llDayo

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  07:07:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send llDayo a Private Message
I know I'm beating a dead horse here but has anyone looked at THIS SECTION in the forums? First and last names of some, including tksgurl. The first name of tkster isn't listed however, but a search on tksgurl's name at Texas Tech shows up with no matches. I'm wondering if she's lying about her school entirely?
Edited by - llDayo on 10/06/2004 07:21:11
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  07:52:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

At the Skeptictimes forum, tk has deleted every post under the Creation vs. Evolution forum, and replaced it with one post calling for a formal debate...

Finally got around to looking at the site again for the first time in awhile. It still sucks. This "new" Creation-Evolution forum sucks even more-- it's nothing but a giant masurbatory Creationist affair. What kind of debate can you have where one side is stuck with a dozen limitations on the arguments it can use?!?

It all seems to be a giant echo chamber anyways. There are only 9 people who have posted there, including one whose posts were deleted for ostensibly making tkster cry. Since the "new" rules went into effect, this number is even smaller.

No one seems really able to defend evolution (BTW, tksgurl clearly says that a) "I am pursuing my PhD in Biochemistry," and b) she is a "proud student at Texas Tech University." I looked up "Hannah" in the directory and got about ten hits-- almost all were undergrads, and the one grad-- Hannah Buses-- doesn't fit the profile...). The mysterious tksgurl seems to be the "best" candidate, though here's her summary of why she can do it:

i've already refuted gradualistic evolution, and the only response i got was: what is ccdi9. i am pursuing my PhD in Biochemistry and none of these pathetic gradualists have even come close to stopping me.

that being said, if you debate - i'll join Jimi and pwn you with ccdi9 (a biomechanic mechanism that totally would prevent gradualistic evolution). i think i can handle these guys with Punctuated Equilibrium, but i am not about to help out a bunch of religious-wanna-be graudalists. i've studied: gradualism is dead.

that being said, i want to be the one who takes on Jimi in Punctuated Equilibrium vs. Creation Theory.

Huh? She sucks and so does the "Skeptic" Times.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  07:57:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
I know I'm beating a dead horse here but has anyone looked at THIS SECTION in the forums? First and last names of some, including tksgurl. The first name of tkster isn't listed however, but a search on tksgurl's name at Texas Tech shows up with no matches. I'm wondering if she's lying about her school entirely?

Good find, I must have missed over that post. But what method you did you search for Hannah at Texas Tech?

It is interesting to note that here:

http://www.skeptictimes.com/personal.html

Under actual name, tk still uses "t.k.". One would imagine his actual name under "actual name".

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  08:00:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I know this is a bit of jumping around on my part, but I've just gotta write up something on kevkev's bizarre ideas about uniformitarianism. [Edited to add link.] He says,
assuming makes an "ass" of "u" and "me." it is never to be done in science. assumptions are not based on logic or empirical, but uniformitarianism is an assumption. a major blow to gradualism.
But the problem is, uniformitarianism is the basic assumption of all the sciences. If kevin is going to "pwn" gradualism by claiming that uniformitarianism is faith, then he's also "pwned" the space program, electricity, and even his own computer. He's also got no clue as to the whole process of science, which is, indeed, based upon making assumptions and then checking to see if they're correct. "[N]ever to be done in science" my Aunt Fanny. Science wouldn't work without assumptions. What a n00b.

llDavo, I'm not completely sure but I think inclusion in the student directory is voluntary. Hannah may not be listed because she doesn't want to be. But, it seems that most of the different schools within the university list their graduate students (since they're often also advisors to undergrads), so she's probably dissembling about something. Especially since TTU-web-wide searches for her name, or various combinations of "hannah" with words like "graduate" or "biochemistry" or "biology" fail to turn her up at all.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  08:04:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Erm, here's an off-the-wall thought:

Sock puppet?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  08:16:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
filthy wrote:
quote:
Sock puppet?
Could be. The newsletter is supposed to be funny (but really isn't), and Hannah could be a complete invention of tk, as he makes a big deal about the emails he got which said, basically, "how did you luck into dating Hannah? She's so hot!"

So, perhaps tk can't get a date at all, and Hannah is a total fabrication. Or, perhaps she's one of his dissociated personalities...

Seriously, until something concrete can be found, I'd assume that Hannah actually exists, and posts on her own.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

llDayo

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  08:40:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send llDayo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.llDavo, I'm not completely sure but I think inclusion in the student directory is voluntary. Hannah may not be listed because she doesn't want to be. But, it seems that most of the different schools within the university list their graduate students (since they're often also advisors to undergrads), so she's probably dissembling about something. Especially since TTU-web-wide searches for her name, or various combinations of "hannah" with words like "graduate" or "biochemistry" or "biology" fail to turn her up at all.

Yeah, I hadn't thought about the voluntary part. That would explain it too. However, a search of my friend's name at the Cambridge site (I'd say his name but I don't want to jeopardize his privacy) brought up a page listing professors doing research and the students/grads assisting them. If she is indeed going for a PhD she would most likely be involved with research at the school in some way and there'd be a way of searching for it. I know if I were going for my doctorate in a difficult field such as her's, I'd want EVERYONE to know
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  09:39:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Same here, llDayo, same here. If Hannah is shy, and has gone out of her way to hide her graduate status on the entirety of TTU's web site, she doesn't show the same shyness on SkepticTimes.com. Not at all.

And now, there's an actual debate going on over there, despite tk's so-called "rules." Actually, looking at a few threads in various of the public folders over there, it's obvious that debates are condoned just about anywhere, and tk will even participate in them, in clear violation of his own pronouncements.

Peptide, if jimi does decide to debate you, I'd like you to go ahead and post duplicates of your debate posts here, just to ensure that an independent record is kept.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  09:51:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Peptide, if jimi does decide to debate you, I'd like you to go ahead and post duplicates of your debate posts here, just to ensure that an independent record is kept.

And keep a record of his as well. You never know if they might go back and change their posts afterwards.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  10:30:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Ricky wrote:
quote:
And keep a record of his as well. You never know if they might go back and change their posts afterwards.
Well, I'm asking Peptide for him to go ahead and "republish" here. Wholesale copying of jimi's stuff, without explicit permission from him beforehand, could open us up to a copyright suit (with or without actual legal merit, it'd be a hassle).

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  10:41:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Well, I'm asking Peptide for him to go ahead and "republish" here. Wholesale copying of jimi's stuff, without explicit permission from him beforehand, could open us up to a copyright suit (with or without actual legal merit, it'd be a hassle).

Woah, wait a minute. The forum is in public view, by no means private. Furthermore, nothing there is copyrighted, and as far my legal knowlege (which is just about equal to 0), if its not copyrighted then the copyright law does apply. Otherwise, whats the point of copyrighting something?

Edit: and in the case it would be illegal, lets ask him if we can post his stuff here before the debate.

- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 10/06/2004 10:42:54
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.7 seconds.