New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  03:23:28  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I seem to recall that the 'recreation' of Noah's ark project in Maryland got a thread here a time back. So this is an update, of sorts.

quote:
The Ark is being constructed to the specifications of Noah's original Ark--450 feet long, 75 feet wide, and 45 feet high. To give you a better idea of what that will look like--Imagine a structure one and half football fields long and three stories high! (View Our Real Media Clip)To date, over 3,000 tons of cement have been poured to support this structure.

http://www.godsark.org/html/the_construction.html

Obviously, this is anything but a replica of the fabeled, floating menagery. It is merely a funked-up, modern building intended to pull in the faithful. And, one presumes, their wallets. It is interesting to note how much of the building materials were 'donated.' Hustling the faithful in the industry must have been a full-time job.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  07:26:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

I seem to recall that the 'recreation' of Noah's ark project in Maryland got a thread here a time back. So this is an update, of sorts.

quote:
The Ark is being constructed to the specifications of Noah's original Ark--450 feet long, 75 feet wide, and 45 feet high. To give you a better idea of what that will look like--Imagine a structure one and half football fields long and three stories high! (View Our Real Media Clip)To date, over 3,000 tons of cement have been poured to support this structure.

http://www.godsark.org/html/the_construction.html

Obviously, this is anything but a replica of the fabeled, floating menagery. It is merely a funked-up, modern building intended to pull in the faithful. And, one presumes, their wallets. It is interesting to note how much of the building materials were 'donated.' Hustling the faithful in the industry must have been a full-time job.

I'm skeptical to the use of steel beams and arch-welding. The Ark was built during the bronze-age, wasn't it?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  07:44:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
I'm skeptical to the use of steel beams and arch-welding. The Ark was built during the bronze-age, wasn't it?

Uh-huh, but try telling that to the True Balievers. Their faith will overcome even the lies of the senses and the bigotry of logic.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  13:03:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:

Come on Mab, don't you know? God can have Noah do anything.

And besides, he did have 120 years

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  15:26:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
The beautiful thing is that it might just fail.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  15:57:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:

That would be freaking hilarious!

(maybe we should sabotage it )

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  17:04:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

No, it will not fail.

This sort of thing always pulls in the crowds. Example: Hovind's warped but colorful, little theme park.

Remember, a huge percentage of Americans are Christian, and a goodish percentage of those are fundamentilist. Few, if any, would find this 'Ark' to be anything but as represented and certainly not objectionable. And representing it are some of the slickist con artists the world has ever seen: the fundie preachers.

I predict that, unless one or more of these preachers are caught in bed with a dead woman, a live man, or an exhausted goat, it will be a rousing success.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  00:41:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
quote:
I predict that, unless one or more of these preachers are caught in bed with a dead woman, a live man, or an exhausted goat, it will be a rousing success.
Wasn't Jim Bakker caught with the "live man," and continued to preach, even after prison? Jimmy Swaggart's been busted more than once with local hookers, and he still has a huge complex in Baton Rouge.

Fundies forgive their leaders for just about anything, but condemn others with sanctimonious aplomb.

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  02:23:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tim

quote:
Wasn't Jim Bakker caught with the "live man," and continued to preach, even after prison? Jimmy Swaggart's been busted more than once with local hookers, and he still has a huge complex in Baton Rouge.

Fundies forgive their leaders for just about anything, but condemn others with sanctimonious aplomb.

Bakker was nailed for financial rip-offs. He's been out for a few years now and no one's heard much from him. Dunno about the live man part, but I seem to recall that there was an extra-curricular woman involved in the case.

Interestingly, Swaggert was one of the vultures that tried to take over the PTL money machine when Bakker got busted. Another, even bigger and sleazier vulture, Falwell, wound up with it. And that was pretty much the end of it.

Swaggert's influence has diminished considerably, and he's become so butt-ugly that the hookers now avoid him. Perhaps he'll die of loneliness instead of syphilis, after all, whaddya think?

Anyhow, he never recovered from his second bawd bust (virtually on the very heels of the first one, as I recall). He's still preaching, but he's long since gone from all but nation-wide (my ex used to watch both him and PTL in Vermont) to little more than regonal. I don't know what he's got for a base of operations, these days. Unlike Falwell's Liberty University and Old Time Gosiple Hour, and Robertson's 700 Bludgeon, you don't hear much about it, and I don't care enough to look it up.

I think that if this latest Sacred Blight on the landscape has all that they say it's going to have, it too might become a national rallying point for the faithful and desperate. But if it's directors get caught, *ahem*, dipping their wicks where those wicks don't belong, and the word gets out, the Ark (yeesh!) will become just another local point of Christian interest and not the cash cow of it's potential.

I think I'll drop in on the boys now and again just to see how they're coming along on it.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  22:18:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Dr. Mabuse wrote:
quote:
I'm skeptical to the use of steel beams and arch-welding.
Obviously, the building (and nautical) codes have been updated in Maryland in the last 4,000 years or so. Heck, they'll be required to provice emergency exists and lighting, which the Bible doesn't mention at all.

The best end to this story: the building is completed, opened, and then destroyed (without loss of life) by a completely natural flood. The irony would be exquisite.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.