Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  03:19:27  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
It's been four, angry years that I've waited for this day.

VOTE!! It'll be a long, damned time before we can do it again.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  03:40:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Sorry can't help you with this, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

All of em'

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  06:09:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
No shit, filthy.

I have always been dumbfounded by the number of people who don't vote.

We have something like 295million citizens? And expected voter turnout, according to CNN, is something between 102-110 million.

Sad freakin statement that almost 2/3 of us refuse to vote.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  06:31:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Well kick away my cane and gob-smack me with the rancid entrials of a necrotic coelacanth! I ain't never seen the beat of it, not here in Fishing Creek Township, NC.

I just got back from casting my ballot.

Always before, when I vote at the Providence Firehouse, I get in early, sign in and get it done, almost that quick. Usually, I stand around afterward chewing the fat. But, I'm always out of there in 20 minutes tops, fat-chewing and all. There might be a dozen people there.

Not today. I got there at around a quarter to seven and could barely get in the door. I stood in line what seemed like an eternity and after getting my ballot, I had to wait again bor a booth to fill it out. When I finally left the polls, without visiting around, the lines were out into the parking lot.

My fellow geezers were out in force and there was a smattering of pretty obvious first-timers. The black turnout looked good, but I only saw one latino. As most of these that are legal work blue collar jobs, they will probably show up this afternoon and evening. This is the reason I'd like to see Election Day become a mational holiday.

If the turnout holds through the day, it will indeed breaks records.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  06:36:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Republican voter harassment has been approved in Ohio....

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  07:11:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

No shit, filthy.

We have something like 295million citizens? And expected voter turnout, according to CNN, is something between 102-110 million.

Yes...

If I recall right, something 50% of eligable voters typicly show up at the polls. That's disgraceful. It is unreasonable to ask for everybody to get to the polls, but it should be something like at least 70% or better.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who doesn't vote forfits the right to bitch about election outcomes and the future actions of the winners.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  07:49:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
[cowers into a corner] I DID! I DID!
Wrong country, but I did

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  08:00:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

... I'm always out of there in 20 minutes tops, fat-chewing and all. There might be a dozen people there.

Not today. I got there at around a quarter to seven and could barely get in the door. I stood in line what seemed like an eternity ...
Same here in Newell Township on the east side of Charlotte, NC. I arrived 15 minutes before the polls opened and found myself in line with over 100 other voters. 75 minutes later I was done.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  09:10:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dude

No shit, filthy.

Yes...

If I recall right, something 50% of eligable voters typicly show up at the polls. That's disgraceful. It is unreasonable to ask for everybody to get to the polls, but it should be something like at least 70% or better.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who doesn't vote forfits the right to bitch about election outcomes and the future actions of the winners.

Here in Brazil everybody's forced to vote. It's generally done at weekends, but even if it isn't, it's national holiday.

I honestly think it's better not to vote than vote wrongly at all. I wish here they'd understand that and make it optional.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  09:14:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Not today. I got there at around a quarter to seven and could barely get in the door. I stood in line what seemed like an eternity and after getting my ballot, I had to wait again bor a booth to fill it out. When I finally left the polls, without visiting around, the lines were out into the parking lot.

Same in my precinct over here in Baltimore City. Back in 2000, I'm pretty sure I strolled right on in and voted without waiting in line at all. But today, I got in line at 9:05 and didn't get out until 10:17. And the line was just as long when I got out as when I got in!

No problems here, as near as I could tell, so that's a good thing.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  09:30:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
The US could institute some law/rule to get more people to vote, and still have the decision be voluntary.

Like a higher tax rate for non-voters.

ect,,,

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  09:43:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I would oppose manditory voting. I think it would be a form of oppression, however benevolent.

I'd like to see some thoughts on the Electoral College. Is it a good thing or a crock?

I think it's an anacronism that should be retired.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  09:52:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Starman wrote:
quote:
Sorry can't help you with this...
I just think you haven't applied yourself to the task.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  10:14:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by moakley

quote:

... I'm always out of there in 20 minutes tops, fat-chewing and all. There might be a dozen people there.

Not today. I got there at around a quarter to seven and could barely get in the door. I stood in line what seemed like an eternity ...
Same here in Newell Township on the east side of Charlotte, NC. I arrived 15 minutes before the polls opened and found myself in line with over 100 other voters. 75 minutes later I was done.

I'm hearing on the radio that NC is pretty much a write-off for Bush. But judging by the turnout thus far, I'm not sure enough to make any predictions one way or the other, even though the state has gone Republican for many years. We'll know more later.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  10:53:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
I had no wait at 9am, in a suburban area.

As for 295 million dude, You have to assume 95 or more million of those are too young, non-citizen forigners or otherwise ineligable. so if we get 120million that will be a vast improvement from the last election.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

dominic_dice
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  10:54:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dominic_dice a Private Message
How about compulsary voting, but with an option to vote for nobody?

*Fingers crossed!*

"Are you THE dominic_dice"
"No, a dominic_dice. I come in six packs now"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds.