Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  10:15:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

Even though I am into astronomy and I started using this name on the BABB, its actually not.
Can I play? You're a David Bowie fan.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  12:00:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Good one, totally unrelated to Astromnomy AND it has a high probability of being accurate even if he didnt make the name for that reason.

Better would be..."I'm sensing a D.B... you or your significant other we're thinking about...David Bowie, yes thats it...we're you? (interrupting) Or perhaps you've just heard a song of his..."

Man I'm already a pro and I just started.

Edit: I bet the Jesus Freaks are really easy to do., "You want to be closer to God..."

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 02/02/2005 12:02:34
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  12:20:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:
Originally posted by Starman

Even though I am into astronomy and I started using this name on the BABB, its actually not.
Can I play? You're a David Bowie fan.

Thanks, Dave. Now that song is stuck in my head. I'll get you for that, my pretty. And yer little dog, too.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  12:34:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Man I'm already a pro and I just started.
I bow before your skillz. Please, use this powerful ability of yours for the good of mankind.
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Thanks, Dave. Now that song is stuck in my head. I'll get you for that, my pretty. And yer little dog, too.
If I feel like annoying my wife, all I need to do is hum a few bars of "It's a small world, after all..."

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  00:48:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
This is scary!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  07:41:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Did I nail it?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  07:45:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Where do I send the $700 ?
(Or do I pay you more than Sylvia's fee as you are actually right on something?)
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  08:35:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
No charge. I'll just keep the bragging rights, thanks.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

gtpooh

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  08:56:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gtpooh's Homepage  Send gtpooh an AOL message  Send gtpooh a Yahoo! Message Send gtpooh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Was_a_skeptic

You never answered one question..He couldnt generalise my hair do ..the fact that I have side burns and a gotee..gernalizations will only take you sa far .

Like I said he is 90% right . Im sure the test whats his name has requires 100% accuracy and I dont think any person will ever pass it . But there are still things that cant be explained .

it is not possible for someone to be that good of a guesser.
SO I guess he has a probability calculator..hmm..."what are the chances she will have a mole on her left cheek ..let me throw some numbers on there...oh , I got it ! "
He told me I had a court date coming and that It would be in my favor . He was right..Do you have a court date coming ?
is your car broke down ? Do you have Blonde tips and does your hair ONLY sitck up in the front ? Where are you sitting ?WHat does the room look like you are in ? are you in a room ? it would amaze anyone if they talked to this guy and he was on the ball! He tells you things kn body could possibly know .
ALso , When I had a good job , he told me Id be changing jobs in late january, early febuary . I didnt believe him as I liked my job . But I lost it ...Does everyone get fired in january ?
That probability crap works on the simple minded . I am far from simple .

Gwenny

Sex is not the answer. Sex is the question. YES, is the answer!
Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  20:18:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
WAS, you seem impressed with how the psychic guessed your appearance. I've thought about that for a couple days so let me offer this:

A sizeable number of the men I see in my city (Seattle) who are between (roughly) the ages of 20 and 40 have sideburns and/or goatees. Provided she could guess your age to be young-to-middle aged by hearing your voice, it was a good, odds-in-her-favor guess. Also, think for a moment the ways it could have played out, had you not had sideburns and/or a goatee:

Psychic: You have sideburns and a goatee

You: Well, it's actually more of a full beard....

Psychic: It looks like a goatee because it's so small, right?

You: Well, I guess...

OR

Psychic: You have sideburns and a goatee.

You: No, but I used to have sideburns.

OR

Psychic: You have sideburns and a goatee.

You: No, I have neither.

Psychic: But you used to, right?

You: Well, kind of, when I was 17....

You could have counted all of the above dialogues as the psychic being psychic, right?

See what I'm getting at? It's called retrofitting, I think...or counting something a "hit" when in reality, it's sorta vaguely maybe possibly true but not really but ya know...?

Watch for this next time Sylvia Browne is on Montel Williams or something. She'll keep twisting and changing her responses slightly until it feels like a hit to the subject.
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  14:33:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Who (person's name) will score the first touchdown in the 2005 Super Bowl?

Who will score the last?

Total rushing yards both teams combined?

Number of field goals attempted and made?

Interceptions thrown by Brady? McNabb?

Halftime score?

Final score?

Passing yards for New England?

Number of passes Pinkston catches?

I'd say if he nails these, then he's psychic.

Hey Was, time's running out for you and your psychic friend. Hurry and get those predictions in before kickoff! Give us something that proves his psychic abilities. Otherwise, you was_a_sucker.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.