New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  09:52:54  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
Scientific American caves in to fundies: http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&colID=2&articleID=000E555C-4387-1237-81CB83414B7FFE9F
quote:
SA PERSPECTIVES
April 2005 issue

Okay, We Give Up
By The Editors

There's no easy way to admit this. For years, helpful letter writers told us to stick to science. They pointed out that science and politics don't mix. They said we should be more balanced in our presentation of such issues as creationism, missile defense and global warming. We resisted their advice and pretended not to be stung by the accusations that the magazine should be renamed Unscientific American, or Scientific Unamerican, or even Unscientific Unamerican. But spring is in the air, and all of nature is turning over a new leaf, so there's no better time to say: you were right, and we were wrong.
In retrospect, this mag-azine's coverage of so-called evolution has been hideously one-sided. For decades, we published articles in every issue that endorsed the ideas of Charles Darwin and his cronies. True, the theory of common descent through natural selection has been called the unifying concept for all of biology and one of the greatest scientific ideas of all time, but that was no excuse to be fanatics about it. Where were the answering articles presenting the powerful case for scientific creationism? Why were we so unwilling to suggest that dinosaurs lived 6,000 years ago or that a cataclysmic flood carved the Grand Canyon? Blame the scientists. They dazzled us with their fancy fossils, their radiocarbon dating and their tens of thousands of peer-reviewed journal articles. As editors, we had no business being persuaded by mountains of evidence....continued at Scientific American Digital

The end of the article does mention something along the lines of 'Happy April 1'.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  10:16:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Cool one....

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  14:08:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

Cool one....

It is. I like it even better than Nature's bacteria-eaten, moon gag.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

tkster
Skeptic Friend

USA
193 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  14:31:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tkster a Private Message
Seen it, and laughed really hard.

tk
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  18:12:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
And now, this...

http://skepdic.com/

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  17:49:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
I love it! What a great bunch you all are!

ljbrs

"Innumerable suns exist; innumerable earths revolve about these suns in a manner similar to the way the seven planets revolve around our sun. Living beings inhabit these worlds."
Giordano Bruno
(Burned at the stake by the Roman Catholic Church Inquisition in 1600)
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  19:45:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Did anyone find this amusing?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  07:51:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Did anyone find this amusing?

I nearly had a heart attack, untill I saw the post date. Don't do that again...please :)

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  08:31:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Now we know how many here actually do read the Summary. And frankly, our feelings are hurt! If you haven't read last weeks summary, well, bite me...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  09:39:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
That was hilarious. Was that written before kilik or did he inspire some of that?

I'll make a deal with you. I will read the summarys from now on and how bout I don't bite you... ok?

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.