Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  14:55:30  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Thought this would make a good story, so here it goes:

So I was working on some discrete math homework last night after chat when I get an IM from my future roommate, Kathy. She said she was going to sleep on the drill field, which is a big field that separates the dorms on campus from classes. I later learned that this was part of an Earth Day club that was camping out on the drill field, which Kathy's sister is a part of.

So we go there with sleeping bags and fall asleep under the stars. Now it was fairly cold, so we were completely tucked away under our sleeping bags.

One thing to know about the drill field is that many groups (such as this earth day group) set up events on it. As it just so happens, the club was camping out so that they could set up early the next morning. They used pickup trucks to haul in displays and whatnot.

So it was morning, around 8:45. Kathy and I are still asleep while everyone else was up because she and I weren't actually part of the club, and thus didn't have to set up. Meanwhile, the pickup trucks are coming in so they can set up. I was sleeping face up...

Suddenly I wake up to the front right wheel of a pickup truck rolling across the right side of my face. It was quite weird because it didn't even hurt at first; my only thought was that the second one was coming. I tried to move but because of the position I was in, it was very hard. I didn't get very far. Luckily (for me, not for her), Kathy also had her left hand and foot run over and screamed her lungs out, so the pickup truck stopped. Without her, I think I would have been hit again.

So after spending a few hours in the hospital, I have a line of abrasions going in a diagonal line across my face about 2 inches wide. My elbows are a bit torn up (still not sure why) and my jaw/head is a bit sore. But otherwise everything is fine. Kathy has a swollen wrist and is still getting her ankle checked out as of now.

A very interesting day all in all, I guess I got pretty lucky.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  15:04:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Man, that's messed up. Glad you're alright, though. What kind of a jackass drives over lumpy sleeping bags?

P.S. When repeating this story to the ladies, I suggest replacing "truck" with "tank" and "drill field" with "Kosovo." You know, just for spice.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 04/21/2005 15:04:45
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  15:16:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Damn... glad you are more or less OK. Same for Kathy. Hope no serious injuries.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  15:26:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Glad you're still alive... never, ever, underestimate the power of idiots with big pieces of machinery.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  15:51:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Man, that's messed up. Glad you're alright, though. What kind of a jackass drives over lumpy sleeping bags?

P.S. When repeating this story to the ladies, I suggest replacing "truck" with "tank" and "drill field" with "Kosovo." You know, just for spice.

Well, they would have to be pretty dumb, seeing as I am only 18 now. And if that is the case, I'll just tell 'em I own Ford.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  16:23:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
(Raises eyebrow and peers over specticals) And what have we learned from this, hmmm...?

Glad you and she are little the worse for the experience, and hoping the soreness leaves y'all soonest. Those deep contusions and sprains can be a bitch. Most fortunate to get out of it with no worse.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  16:37:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Wow. Hope any injuries are minor. Lucky they weren't using trains to move things in.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  18:04:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Here's to a speedy recovery. Sheesh.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  18:10:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Yikes!!! So, now when you say "I feel like a truck ran over me" you will know what your talking about...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  19:24:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
Ouch! Was the first thing you did after getting out of hospital post on this forum?
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  20:05:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
Ok, let me get this straight:

A truck ran over your face.

Does that about sum it up? I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that makes you a badass.

Wow.
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  20:59:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
Holy crap a truck runs over your head and your little worse for wear... It's a miracle! You were obviously saved by the hand of jeezus...

But seriously, glad you weren't hurt too badly.

The college sounds negligent if they let trucks drive around the drill field while people were allowed to sleep there; maybe you could threaten to sue and get your college education for free... just a thought.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  23:42:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Holy crap a truck runs over your head and your little worse for wear... It's a miracle! You were obviously saved by the hand of jeezus...

Funny story about this. We returned to the drill field after getting out of the hospital to retrieve our things which were left behind, and there was a news woman already there. She was interviewing me and said, "Looks like someone was watching from above" to which I responded "I don't know..." and she gave me an awkward look, but didn't go into it anymore than that.

quote:

Ouch! Was the first thing you did after getting out of hospital post on this forum?

Nah, it was the third thing. I went back to the drill field to get my stuff, took a shower, then posted here.

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

pfretzschner
Skeptic Friend

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  23:42:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send pfretzschner a Private Message
quote:
Ok, let me get this straight:

A truck ran over your face.

Does that about sum it up? I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that makes you a badass

Ha! That totally makes you a badass!
Heal fast, badass.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  00:03:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Did you get a chance to ask the driver where his head was?
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  03:29:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky
A news woman already there. She was interviewing me and said, "Looks like someone was watching from above" to which I responded "I don't know..."
Good for you, Ricky. Of course I would have launched into a 20 minute tirade how about if there was anyone up there "watching" they really should have decided to do something before you had "Goodyear" branded across your forehead... but I digress. I'm glad you seem to be all in one piece. How's your lady friend?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.