Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2009 :  20:07:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, I am Machi4velli, or I call myself that because I am a bit of a nerd. Anyway, I'm 23 and from West Virginia and recently moved to Florida where I am starting grad school at Florida Institute of Technology in August (finished up undergrad before I could move, so I'm taking a couple fun online grad classes to transfer in next term). I have a BS in Mathematics and am pursuing graduate studies in Applied Mathematics, planning to get an MS immediately and a PhD either just after or sometime in the future. I currently do some work in venture capital, but I hope to become a mathematical modeling consultant, preferably something where I can bring a mathematical perspective to all sorts of problems in different fields.

I went to church as a child, but quit about the time I started asking questions they could not answer or would not try to answer. I wouldn't say I ever really had a religion. Despite that, I probably would not call myself an atheist because I obviously do not know there is no God, but my assumption is that none exists, though my assumption may be wrong, I guess that qualifies as empirical agnosticism or something.

My political views seem to differ a bit from most of you, but that makes things more fun. I am probably closest to a classical liberal in my views, focusing much more on negative liberty than positive liberty (too much of the latter tends to limit the former in my opinion). I'm not wholly consequentialist or deontological, but more the latter. (Despite my name, I do not entirely make decisions based on consequences.) I tend to seek inconsistencies (sometimes over-zealously) in opinions of others and myself, largely due to my math/logic background.

Hard to sum up my views entirely as I am open to change and continually try to cure inconsistencies in my own views, but I support any and all separation of church and state, free scientific inquiry of most sorts (except for the usual sticky subjects like human cloning), equality of people under law (not equality of possessions), and minimal (but not none) government intervention in private industry or the lives of individuals (the current financial problems are not at all agreeable to me, but the sliver of consequentialism in my head tells me government intervention is necessary). All and all, I am a man without a country politically -- too much religious BS and personal intrusion in the GOP, too much promotion of what is called equality for women and minorities. (I support equality under the law and in private hiring processes, but I do not consider affirmative action equality under the law.) That's pretty much it, I am either on the fence, do not have a quick way to explain my views, or forgot about other topics.

Okay, whoever I have not already lost with that novel, this seems like a great community, skeptical without being screaming partisans :) See you on the forums!

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2009 :  08:17:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome Machi4velli!

Originally posted by Machi4velli
Despite that, I probably would not call myself an atheist because I obviously do not know there is no God, but my assumption is that none exists, though my assumption may be wrong, I guess that qualifies as empirical agnosticism or something.

That is what most people would define as weak or, as I prefer, inclusive atheism.
And it is, in fact, the opinion of most atheists.

The ideas that atheists 'claims there is no God' is mostly a strawman, atheists generally claim that: there are no evidences for God.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Lilith

2 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  19:03:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Lilith's Homepage Send Lilith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, another noob here. My name is Lilith and I am an insurance investigator with a background in Behavioral Science (Psychology to be exact) and I only just now stumbled on this place. I'm reading loads right now.

I was born to Roman Catholics but raised mainly secular. I never "got it" with regard to personal relationships with deity and always thought I was not doing something right because I never "felt" god.

I have a 13 year-old son who is a self-proclaimed skeptic, my 10 year-old daughter still likes the idea of a creator being there, and the jury's still out on my 3 year-old daughter. Hubby is agnostic.

For fun, I like to debunk paranormal investigators and other such stuff which basically ends up being Jerry Springer type blogging. The paranormal TV productions have quite the dedicated faction.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  19:05:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to SFN Lilith. Happy posting!!!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  20:37:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome Lilith!

Speaking about your son's love for critical thinking, are you familiar with Junior Skeptic?
It's a really neat supplement of the skeptic magazine.

Enjoy your stay around here!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  21:21:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Lilith-- welcome! Interesting forum name; she has an interesting life in ancient Mesopotamia...
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  07:40:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An in the Torah.

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  09:32:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And at one time the name of Frasier Crane's wife.

Bebe what an ashen hottie.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic Detective

South Africa
1 Post

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  03:31:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Skeptic Detective's Homepage Send Skeptic Detective a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi skeptical friends

My name is Angela and I am a South African skeptic. I am very active in the community out here, although it is still a very small community we are starting to get active.

When I'm not blogging I can be found reading or relaxing with my frends. I am part way through a BSc in Astronomy & Physics (personal complications have delayed the achievement of my dream, but I'm still committed to it).

I was raised an atheist (rather unusual I am told) and skepticism comes very easily to me. I think I have always demanded evidence and even though this sometimes caused me trouble I stick to it. The skeptical community is one in which I feel truely comfortable and I hope to contribute in a solid way in my country.

SD
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  03:40:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Skeptic Detective

Hi skeptical friends

My name is Angela and I am a South African skeptic. I am very active in the community out here, although it is still a very small community we are starting to get active.

When I'm not blogging I can be found reading or relaxing with my frends. I am part way through a BSc in Astronomy & Physics (personal complications have delayed the achievement of my dream, but I'm still committed to it).

I was raised an atheist (rather unusual I am told) and skepticism comes very easily to me. I think I have always demanded evidence and even though this sometimes caused me trouble I stick to it. The skeptical community is one in which I feel truely comfortable and I hope to contribute in a solid way in my country.

SD
Welcome to SFN, Skeptic Detective!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  05:11:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As usual, I'm a day late and a dollar short, so I'll just give a blanket welcome to all:

Welcome to SFN! Looking forward to y'alls input.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  07:35:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to SFN angela!

Enjoy your stay and good luck in developing this South African community of skeptics!

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Agita
Skeptic Friend

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  14:23:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Agita a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hello Y'all

I chose the tag "Agita" because I'm in an almost constant state of agitation from dealing with all the stupid in this world. Of course I don't personally deal with "all" the stupid in the world, but I do find it amazing how much stupid just one person encounters.

I think Rush Limbaugh is a slimy piece of feces and Kieth Olbermann ought to be given free bullets, big bullets. Members fourth estate should hang their heads in shame as cowards who are afraid to seek the truth.

And don't get me started on the hypocrite religeocristofascists who go on the Tee-Vee and beg for Grandmas last dollar. If it turns out that there is a God and he is just, Hell will be reserved for them.

I really like what I've seen so far on this board and look forward to get to know you all.

Have A Nice Day.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  15:54:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to SFN, Agita! I agree heartily with your concerns. Now you can begin fixing all those things here.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  15:57:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli

Hi, I am Machi4velli, ...
Sorry I'd missed your intro back when you posted it, Machi4velli. Welcome to Skeptic Friends Network!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds.